• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 10: Reds v Brumbies 5 Sept

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
On paper, this game means nothing.

What will the approach be? Will either team gamble on selections/ rotate players?

I'm guessing the Reds will use it as a chance to get some of their returning injured players some mileage in their legs.

Coming off the bye, I'm guessing no one else needs a rest. Will we see the Smith twins back in Red?

The Brumbies look really tired. I'd be resting Banks, Kuenzle, Simone, Samu, AAA, FF (Folau Fainga'a) and Slipper.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't expect too much resting. As Reg said the Reds are coming off a bye and the Brumbies will have the week off next week. I expect these teams will contest the final, so a win either way will be a morale booster for the victor. Really looking forward to it

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Consistency - or lack thereof has been the theme for Super Rugby AU. I think the Reds especially should be at least playing 40mins of their ideal team together - get BPA some lineout practice, then swap to Nasser/Mafi. Let some of these new props get some more Super Rugby minutes with their desired starting pack. If JOC (James O'Connor) has been a bit battered and bruised I'd probably give him another week off - he's got nothing to prove, has been in form the whole time and the Reds need him at 110% for the finals.

I wouldn't expect many key players on the field for more than 40-50mins though for either team. No use risking it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Could well be the same two teams in the final, but I don't see this game as a precursor to the outcome of the final. Brumbies have the onerous travel this weekend while the Reds, if they make it, will have the onerous travel two weeks later.

Early tip before the team announcements is for Reds to win by 5.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Consistency - or lack thereof has been the theme for Super Rugby AU. I think the Reds especially should be at least playing 40mins of their ideal team together - get BPA some lineout practice, then swap to Nasser/Mafi. Let some of these new props get some more Super Rugby minutes with their desired starting pack. If JOC (James O'Connor) has been a bit battered and bruised I'd probably give him another week off - he's got nothing to prove, has been in form the whole time and the Reds need him at 110% for the finals.

I wouldn't expect many key players on the field for more than 40-50mins though for either team. No use risking it.

I suspect both teams will want to make a statement and take some confidence into finals. The Brumbies have a week off anyway to freshen up and the Reds are coming off a week off.

By virtue of establishing a good lead in the comp (and as a demonstration of squad depth) McKeller has been very shrewd in his squad rotation over the last couple of weeks. Key players have been rested. Other key players have got time on the paddock to build match fitness. McKeller knows that his bench will he fit and match hardened for their last two games.

On the flip side Thorn has battled to keep 2 fit front rows. Backrow depth and depth in the backs is pretty good, but we just aren’t going to have that punch from the tight 5 reserves. That is countered a bit by Tupou’s incredible fitness levels, but we will still lack some punch.

All that aside I really look forward to this. The Brumbies remain the bench mark side but this young reds side obviously wants to take the mantle off them so here’s their chance to at least take a step in the right direction.

deadwood

Frank Row (1)
Thorn needs his team to win to start improving his stats and help him keep his job apart from hopefully all the players just wanting to WIN.

BTW any Reds members got the tickets yet? The ticketing process for single members who usually sit with other single members has been doing my head in.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Thorn needs his team to win to start improving his stats and help him keep his job apart from hopefully all the players just wanting to WIN.

BTW any Reds members got the tickets yet? The ticketing process for single members who usually sit with other single members has been doing my head in.

There is absolutely zero chance Thorn is getting sacked after this year. Team results definitely improving regardless of how these last few games go and young players who will be better next season.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I've got my tickets. TIckets for the semi final are available for members from today too.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
CFS, Stewart and Paisami all back and available for selection. Ruan Smith with the squad as injury cover, should offer some depth in the front row. Backline i'd like to see

9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Daugunu
12. Stewart
13. Petaia
14. CFS
15. Campbell

20. Maloula
21. Hegarty
22. Paisami

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
CFS, Stewart and Paisami all back and available for selection. Ruan Smith with the squad as injury cover, should offer some depth in the front row. Backline i'd like to see

9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Daugunu
12. Stewart
13. Petaia
14. CFS
15. Campbell

20. Maloula
21. Hegarty
22. Paisami

close. Not quite though.

Regardless, I think this will be the best 23 we've put on the park this season.

Reactions: dru

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
Reds team named

St.George Queensland Reds v Brumbies – Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane on 5 September at 7:20pm AEST

1. Harry Hoopert – Brothers
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Angus Blyth – Bond University
5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto – Souths
6. Liam Wright – Easts ©
7. Fraser McReight – Brothers
8. Harry Wilson – Brothers
9. Tate McDermott – University of Queensland
10. James O’Connor – Brothers
11. Filipo Daugunu – Wests
12. Hamish Stewart – Brothers
13. Jordan Petaia – Wests
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia – Souths
15. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland

16. Josh Nasser – University of Queensland
17. JP Smith – GPS
18. Ruan Smith – GPS
19. Tuaina Taii Tualima – GPS
20. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
21. Moses Sorovi – Wests
22. Bryce Hegarty – GPS
23. Hunter Paisami – Wests

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Really like how much stability we've been seeing in the side lately.

I agree. Once they decided on that back row plus the durability of Tupou and O'Connor this year means most of your key positions are set to build around. The only thing that has made me scratch my head a little is the amount of rotation that has occurred at half back. To me Tate has been the stand out all year but it seemed the coaches had another strategy in mind. Anyway he is starting now which I think is the right call.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Like that Reds side. Looks like they're going full gas and I love that. I've never been a fan of coaches trying to get cute or too clever by half with selections in the lead up to finals/knock out stage. Just try and win every game.