• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rays .. NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
  • Gower - he had a 6 week rest in the latter half of the season - 25 games 27 weeks. Not sure that you are correct there.
  • Best Centre pairing - I don't think so at all. Matthews shouldn't be there, in my eyes him being there has Maile playing out of position - I think Maile shits all over him at 12 and Sef was one of the best 13's in the comp this year - just have a look at the Marlines for and against.
  • Tobias - really I dont even want to go there.
Before anyone says but the Marlins didnt win the comp so why - please look at how Gordon / Norths / and the great year the Rats had.

Chisholm carved it up for the Rams last week - was it for political reason he (& others) ended up out west (& else where)

No place for Chisholm, but we have Holmes on the wing?:confused: Madness.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Dave,

Political reasons might call for a wide representation from all the feeder clubs.

I am interested most in the Eastwood players in the Rams team, no doubt all of us want to see players from our own club. It is a balancing act for the franchises.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave,

Political reasons might call for a wide representation from all the feeder clubs.

I am interested most in the Eastwood players in the Rams team, no doubt all of us want to see players from our own club. It is a balancing act for the franchises.

I'm involved in mini rugby and look to ensure each boy gets a fair run and enjoys himself. This is what their calling third tier rugby - surely we are not playing stupid games.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Most of the squads are rotating their players to some degree. There have been tons of unforced changes that have nothing to do with form.

Clearly there is an element of teams wanting to ensure their whole squad gets a go and different things are tried out.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'm trying to join the dots here if anyone wishes to help out.
  • Gower has been one of the Rays best and most consistent, but he's on the bench.
  • Turtle is good enough to sit next to Cheika in the box in a Waratah's tracksuit at Tah's game time.
  • But we get strange selections in the forward back.
But we have unusual selection that more than me find intriguing.
Turtle knows his stuff, and;
sat next to a World Cup assistant coach for over 2 years.
sat next to a coach who has been involved in Wobs for about a year or so.

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
The NRC was to bridge the gap between club rugby and Super rugby , How does this help playing 9 (Holmes ) on the wing? Will a super franchise look at him as a 14 ?? I don't think so.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe they've decided they want to try a different combo this week and Gower is spending a week on the bench. As I said in the previous post, rotating players is common in this competition.

After five rounds of being unhappy with the team selected, maybe it's time to move on and realise that they will continue selecting teams along the same lines that you don't agree with rather than thinking that next week they will select all the players you want selected and you'll be happy.

There's clearly a vast gulf between the selection policies and decisions being adopted and what you (and others) think should be happening.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Maybe they've decided they want to try a different combo this week and Gower is spending a week on the bench. As I said in the previous post, rotating players is common in this competition.

After five rounds of being unhappy with the team selected, maybe it's time to move on and realise that they will continue selecting teams along the same lines that you don't agree with rather than thinking that next week they will select all the players you want selected and you'll be happy.

There's clearly a vast gulf between the selection policies and decisions being adopted and what you (and others) think should be happening.

And playing a half back on the wing - madness:confused:

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)

I would like to see the Rams Select Swanpoel on the wing , How much of a interest would that bring to a forum???

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Most of the squads are rotating their players to some degree. There have been tons of unforced changes that have nothing to do with form.

Clearly there is an element of teams wanting to ensure their whole squad gets a go and different things are tried out.

I don't have a particular problem with squad rotation or even maybe playing young players in different positions to improve their skill set or just to see how they go. I'd like to think that there is a logical, long term strategy behind it though. I do think that there have been some very odd selections thus far - although the decision to pick a 28 year old half back, who has had a fair opportuinity to make it at super level, on the wing takes the cake. It makes no sense on any level. Are the 4 clubs who make up the JV that short of wingers that this is necessary?

qaz

Allen Oxlade (6)
  • Gower - he had a 6 week rest in the latter half of the season - 25 games 27 weeks. Not sure that you are correct there.
  • Best Centre pairing - I don't think so at all. Matthews shouldn't be there, in my eyes him being there has Maile playing out of position - I think Maile shits all over him at 12 and Sef was one of the best 13's in the comp this year - just have a look at the Marlines for and against.
  • Tobias - really I dont even want to go there.
Before anyone says but the Marlins didnt win the comp so why - please look at how Gordon / Norths / and the great year the Rats had.
Chisholm carved it up for the Rams last week - was it for political reason he (& others) ended up out west (& else where)

In the first half.. as good as he was in the first half, he was just as bad in the second half.. Great player but seems he can be a bit enigmatic..

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Okay here goes, after a Shute Shield Season and 5 NRC games i think i have seen enough to pass fair comments and thoughts with sufficient data to say "look at the score board".

So here is my Rays squad.
  • Head coach - Turtle (2 seasons with assistant world cup winning coach Tim Lane, and then working beside Phil Blake that resulted in a minor premiership and best attach & D in the comp.
  • Assistant coach - Haig Sare a very successful season at the rats, and had the back line playing what was in front of them.
To satisfy politics;
I'd have Ca.. Ha... the Nths (& Aus U20) physio of recent years, a kiwi who knows his rugby and a good physio.
Highlanders mascott.
Props - Lewis picks himself, Maraki (was in Tahs squad before injury), OÇonnor (A20's), Cocca (was good enough to play the Lions last year).
Hooker - Porecki or Holmes - my preference is youth, but experience is valuable as well.
Locks - Gower, Petersen pick themselves and I believe Petersen has possibly surprised a few as well. How the Rays didn't include Matt Phillip (Aus U20) in the squad but the Stars have is beyond me (politics).
Flankers - Ale, Bergelin, Dempsey, Wells well we are strong there.
# 8 Picks himself - ward.
9 Lucas, a number of Tahs supporters would have included him in the match day 23. I'd have Swanny, but Rays have Holmes.
The backs I'm looking at combo's that work, they are not in order so please don't view it that way.
10. Daruda / Treweek / Angus
11. Northam / Chisolm.
12. Hingano / Tuisavii / Foketi / Holmes.
13. Sefiana / Adams
14. Tagicakibau / Dixon / Jones.
15. Hartman / Treweek / Feltscheer.
  • Sef - through the whole season was been one of the best best in the Shute comp, it was only in the second half of the season with injuries to Daruda, & Hingano that combinations changed and that has an impact.
  • Hingano - bends the line with every touch, good hands, and has a better pilfer than George Smith (just ask Tummy Carter after last years semi).
Picking a 9 on the wing, stupidity.
Okay Manly didn't win the comp, but how did Rats, North, and Gordon fair? I've seen all players play this year.

Crawford not there because he's at Rebels next year and the wings above are good.

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
With a short turnaround , what surprises will be in store with team selection this week.There are a couple of players that look a little worse of after the game on Sunday.
Lucas , ankle
Daruda , Hamstring
Lewis , face

Any updates on the injury's ??
Have they found a new tight head prop yet, gees we need one.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
With a short turnaround , what surprises will be in store with team selection this week.There are a couple of players that look a little worse of after the game on Sunday.
Lucas , ankle
Daruda , Hamstring
Lewis , face

Any updates on the injury's ??
Have they found a new tight head prop yet, gees we need one.

They should spend the week pushing a scrum machine from Manly to Palm Beach and back.;)

senior

Peter Burge (5)
Can't wait to see Dave Beat spit it when Hartmann, Greer, Treweek, Cocca, Yarrington, natoli, Hodge and Joe Metisuela aren't picked
It would be a travesty if there's no place for Wood, Brisby and not to mention Richard Hooper in the rays. Sef is more than capable at tighthead. Marlins finished 3rd/4th in 1st grade this year therefore all of their players are far better than any of tripe that the other three clubs are serving up. Townsend has to make way for Turtle! Revolution! The Rays are one point off 4th place (having only played 5 games)! There must be change.

Status
Not open for further replies.