• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rays .. NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Possibly, but long term playing on a rectangular ground without a cricket pitch is better for both TV viewers and spectators at the ground. The whole thinking behind the club so far has been long-term and not even Norths or Gordon supporters are agitating for a change in home ground. Their best crowd was a sunny Sunday afternoon and this is when they need to play any games not mandated by Fox to be on a Thursday night.

North Sydney is a very small oval so still a good venue to watch rectangular sports. But I suppose the cricket pitch is an issue at the time of year. I just think they'd get twice as many people to a home game at North Sydney Oval for a week night fixture. And that's key for long term success! Think about all the people that work in the CBD, North Sydney, St Leonards and Chatswood that could get to the ground in less than 30 minutes by train or bus. Brookvale is a bit of a nightmare to get to in comparison.

I think they'd also get bigger crowds for matches against other Sydney teams if they were played at North Sydney. Much easier to get there from anywhere else in Sydney.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
North Sydney is a very small oval so still a good venue to watch rectangular sports. But I suppose the cricket pitch is an issue at the time of year. I just think they'd get twice as many people to a home game at North Sydney Oval for a week night fixture. And that's key for long term success! Think about all the people that work in the CBD, North Sydney, St Leonards and Chatswood that could get to the ground in less than 30 minutes by train or bus. Brookvale is a bit of a nightmare to get to in comparison.

I think they'd also get bigger crowds for matches against other Sydney teams if they were played at North Sydney. Much easier to get there from anywhere else in Sydney.

But I'm not sure that your assumptions are correct. It's quite a hike from the railway station to NSO and have you ever tried to catch public transport around Sydney on a weeknight? I also disagree about the view. I've watched a fair bit of league and union at NSO over the years and it's a shocker. Not only is it circular, but the cricket pitch runs at a different angle to the rugby ground making it even more difficult to watch the game.

Demographically the most rugby supporters in the north of Sydney are on the northern beaches or the upper north shore. We want the kids to get to these games, not the suits who work in North Sydney.

Just a quick to get from Killara to Brookvale as to North Sydney for a better rugby experience - paticularly for the kids.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Demographically the most rugby supporters in the north of Sydney are on the northern beaches or the upper north shore. We want the kids to get to these games, not the suits who work in North Sydney.

Just a quick to get from Killara to Brookvale as to North Sydney for a better rugby experience - paticularly for the kids.

I take your point but on a Thursday night I doubt there are many kids that would be there anyway. And the adults are the ones that pay money for tickets so they matter just as much if not more.

Brookvale is only okay from the North Shore if you're driving. From most places it takes ages to get there by bus.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

North Sydney Oval at night is a shocker.
There is no vantage point close to the action,if you are not in the Molly Dive stand, you are enduring less than acceptable facilities.
......And they don't even sell the shoreman burger there anymore.....
People are much more likely to attend multiple times at Brookie than NSO.
IMO

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I take your point but on a Thursday night I doubt there are many kids that would be there anyway. And the adults are the ones that pay money for tickets so they matter just as much if not more.

Brookvale is only okay from the North Shore if you're driving. From most places it takes ages to get there by bus.

But in the size of the Rays catchment, you have to drive anyway. Sydney public transport at night on a week day is hopeless.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

NSO is a shocker, it is a cricket oval, it is cold, vantage points suck, then on a Thursday evening with the peak hour hussle and bussle for get it.
Even on the weekend everywhere is metered parking and the vantage points are still shite.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
NSO is a shocker, it is a cricket oval, it is cold, vantage points suck, then on a Thursday evening with the peak hour hussle and bussle for get it.
Even on the weekend everywhere is metered parking and the vantage points are still shite.

And let's not forget that Brookvale is about to get a multi-mllion dollar upgrade - for which the ARU has to contribute nothing and we get to play at what will be a state of the art rectangular ground. Even Sydney Uni are converting one of their ovals into a rectangular field for soccer and rugby. If the NRC wants to be taken seriously, any thoughts of playing at circular grounds with cricket pitches in the middle need to be banished forever.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
And let's not forget that Brookvale is about to get a multi-mllion dollar upgrade - for which the ARU has to contribute nothing and we get to play at what will be a state of the art rectangular ground. Even Sydney Uni are converting one of their ovals into a rectangular field for soccer and rugby. If the NRC wants to be taken seriously, any thoughts of playing at circular grounds with cricket pitches in the middle need to be banished forever.

Your comment on the absolute need for rectangular grounds is spot on QH.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
FYI North Sydney is getting $6 million in council funding to upgrade facilities - new scoreboard, corporate facilities, drop in wickets etc.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
But will that improve the viewing vantage points?
I'd be interested in the cost as well, Brookie had a good cost attached to it

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Looks to me like they lost $55k if you do not treat the SS Clubs injections as income.
That seems like a good result for an entity that had no supporter base competing in a start up competition.
You would expect that both gate receipts & sponsorship will increase dramatically after a good inaugural season.

I would have liked to see a breakdown of revenue,just out of curiosity.

T

TOCC

Given the humble beginnings and complete lack of marketing campaign it can surely only improve from here... ARC teams posted losses of up to $1million in the inaugural season, by all accounts most NRC teams have posts marginal profits or small losses..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Only 2 NRL clubs made a profit last year. The other 16(?) have their hand out to the NRL HQ from a slice of their $50m trading surplus.

T

TOCC

^^^ Only 2 NRL clubs made a profit last year. The other 16(?) have their hand out to the NRL HQ from a slice of their $50m trading surplus.

That doesn't surprise me, I'm not sure how long the NRL can justify pocketing $30-$50million surpluses without increasing the grants to the clubs.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The ABC radio sports radio reporter (on Friday) claimed that the Titans needed more than $5m. That puts them in rebels territory - maybe worse.

Anyhow back to NRC - I'm surprised that any of the hastely assembled start ups made a profit, and it is to the credit of the administrators (and investors) that there wasn't a financial car crash.

Next season, I would expect that the NRC clubs will be in a far stronger state.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The ABC radio sports radio reporter (on Friday) claimed that the Titans needed more than $5m. That puts them in rebels territory - maybe worse.

Anyhow back to NRC - I'm surprised that any of the hastely assembled start ups made a profit, and it is to the credit of the administrators (and investors) that there wasn't a financial car crash.

Next season, I would expect that the NRC clubs will be in a far stronger state.

Except for the unfortunate fact (for us) that the Titans are part of a competition that made a surplus of over $100 million last year, whereas the Rebels.........(finish this sentence to suit yourself).

Status
Not open for further replies.