• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Burke Cup - Mosman 23 def Colleagues 21

Some close scoring games today. Colleagues will be mildly disappointed with the three close losses (5 points deficit in total). But they got the bigger 2 fish.

Last game of the season kicking off.

Bigger 2 fish - colts and fifth grade???

Balmain won the Kentwell Cup, defeating Knox OB 43-29. Halftime was 7-19, Knox ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My bad - I was reading Subbies' twitter feed as chrono order by grade - I don't know what all the cups are called off by heart.

Colts is arguably bigger than 4th and 5th Grade though.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Iggies to 3rd Div next year.

Lindfield Up to 1st Div which will still make it a 9 team comp with bye week (assuming Brothers regroup)

Is Waverley coming up to 2nd Div?

Apparently there is a push on to reduce number of grades per Div.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)

Lindfield Up to 1st Div which will still make it a 9 team comp with bye week (assuming Brothers regroup)

Possibly a couple of great local derbies between iggies, beecroft and epping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Will Beecroft be going up or will they be allowed to remain in fourth division?
If they do, nine other clubs will light the torches and grab the pitchforks.

Two full rounds clear (with change) as Club Champions, Minor and Major Premiers in every Grade with, what, 4 matches lost all year across nearly 50 games?

Yeah, nah.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)

That is a big drop! But does it really help Iggies with at present 4 grades still required for this division????

I wish Lindfield all the best in first division. I hope their first grade side gets stronger!

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think it's exactly what they want. To many blokes who are 4th grade players being asked to play 2nd grade div 1 then bench for 1sts. By the end of the year they just don't want to play and weren't fronting. Going down will keep their players from just quitting and without the colts having a specific team that will introduce at least 25 guys through the grades.

All of this is hoped

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It should be that way IMHO - even numbers in each Division make it a better comp, and 8 rounds = 14 weeks of full home/away + wet weather + finals. Means you can cram a season into under 5 months.

Go you good thing

Frank Row (1)
I agree 8 teams per comp is a better way to go for all comps. So 1st div drops Iggies(3rd div) and Brothers (2nd div) and Lindfield comes up ? Does this sound right?
What has Brothers done wrong?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Probably requesting the move due to stress on the club. They climbed back out of 4th Div pretty fast (with money, it must be said), and were quite shitty that they were put down there in the first place.

Redfield OB should, by the letter of the Law, be promoted to Second Div, but that would be tough for them to sustain after only 1 year in Third.

I think a bit of commonsense needs to be applied in all these decisions. Maximum 2 Divisions in either direction should be the limit.

5th Division needs to be recommenced as a matter of priority - without somewhere to move up, the 6th Div clubs will be on a rotating roster and have nowhere to fall if things go wrong.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
I think it's exactly what they want. To many blokes who are 4th grade players being asked to play 2nd grade div 1 then bench for 1sts. By the end of the year they just don't want to play and weren't fronting. Going down will keep their players from just quitting and without the colts having a specific team that will introduce at least 25 guys through the grades.

All of this is hoped

This remains the challenge for subbies. A team that struggled to field 4 teams and a colts drops 2 divisions and still has to field 4 teams whilst dropping their strength, colts. I hope they hang around but many will probaly go elsewhere or stop playing rugby altogether. Imagine then that 2nd DIV was 3 grades and a colts. Iggies have a pathway to met those requirements and keep their colts. Once you lose colts you are gone as a club in the higher Divs.

For the dummies
1st DIV 4 grades + Colts
2nd Div 3 grades + Colts
3rd Div 3 grades
4th Div 3 grades
5th Div 2 grades

In Div 2 clubs with surplus players can run a Halligans Cup team around.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
This remains the challenge for subbies. A team that struggled to field 4 teams and a colts drops 2 divisions and still has to field 4 teams whilst dropping their strength, colts. I hope they hang around but many will probaly go elsewhere or stop playing rugby altogether. Imagine then that 2nd DIV was 3 grades and a colts. Iggies have a pathway to met those requirements and keep their colts. Once you lose colts you are gone as a club in the higher Divs.

For the dummies
1st DIV 4 grades + Colts
2nd Div 3 grades + Colts
3rd Div 3 grades
4th Div 3 grades
5th Div 2 grades

In Div 2 clubs with surplus players can run a Halligans Cup team around.

You're so right about losing Colts can damage the longer term health of the Club.

If sanity doesn't prevail at Subbies, a suggestion for Iggies could be run 4th or 3rd Grade as a Colts side only (depending on the quality of their Colts - Iggies are pretty good).

This way they keep the Colts together . If the numbers of grade players is strong then have a halligans side which won't force those with family commitments to back-up every week. And without the age restrictions Uni holidays won't hurt the team so badly.

If the Club can regroup and head up, their Colts structure remains. Plus, can you imagine how hard it would be for the older guys in the lower grades to keep up with the pace of the game.

Just thinking out loud:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.