• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
No one likes St pats becasue you're all scared of St pats. FACT!

No one seems to be on balmains spending spree or drummoyne's. Is that maybe cause they failed in their bid to win a kentwell through spending thousands on players so they go under the rug? Or what about HH, Brothers, Frenchs Forest? 90% of Drummoyne and Balmains teams were OS players not 90% local talent like pats.

Neck up idiots
I like a rant as much as the next person mate, but at least be factual. Just looking at the sprc team for the kentwell gf last year, the number of local st pats players is below 90%, and thats before you even get beyond the front row....

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Rugby Central,

My point is that they have taken the high ground here & their President has pretended their "sh*t dont stank" when they are running a tournament called the "Bondi Tens Charity Rugby Tournament"

Nowhere does it say how much money from the +$40,000 they would raise goes towards charity. They say that $ from the party goes towards some charities but not a word from the entry fees. I agree that's their right.

Yet that $ which other clubs pay for teams to enter the Bondi 10's then goes into their coffers which allows them to give 'tape to 4th graders'

I am all for clubs running comps & raising $ but I think its pretty rich for them to then preach to other clubs about chosing where to spend their $.

The new Subbies rules will benefit Colleagues the most because they pick up the Easts players & have the biggest area of rich rugby playing school kids.

Hence why their merchant banker President is ccing all on emails about the common good.

Fair enough Super Rugby.

It seems I was reading a link between Colleagues being arseholes and financial inpropriety. There's a lot on player payments on this thread, maybe the topic of "who's the biggest wankers" should be covered on a different thread:D

So the guy wants to brag about how wonderful his club is. It's preseason and time for recruiting. Obviously being more pious than the Catholic Saints is the angle they're working with.:p

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
No one likes St pats becasue you're all scared of St pats. FACT!

No one seems to be on balmains spending spree or drummoyne's. Is that maybe cause they failed in their bid to win a kentwell through spending thousands on players so they go under the rug? Or what about HH, Brothers, Frenchs Forest? 90% of Drummoyne and Balmains teams were OS players not 90% local talent like pats.

Haha mate you are hilarious!

How do you define 'local'? Do you mean the Greater Sydney area?

Also don't sit on your high horse about overseas players - St. Pats have been recruiting from the UK for years telling recruits that they will be coming to Sydney to play in the "National Division 1" competition. Usually 3-4 players per season.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
I really think it is time to let the clubs who want to pay players (I have no issue with it as long as they are all playing against each other!) to go and play in their own comp!

How is it fair to the clubs that train once or twice a week and the players play for the love of the game to go up against semi pro players!

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
I guess that's why it was so great to see Newport be joint champs in the 'Barry' cup last year up against a club who had a lot of players that i am sure weren't there for the love of the game!

LC Bernie

Frank Row (1)
I will say with interest that it is great to see Lane Cove (Div 6) have a colts team this year. They were in div 3 with 4 teams not that long ago so it is good to see them rebuilding through youth. It is a tough road when it comes to playing young blokes in grade, but if they stick around the club is rewarded.​

Lane Cove were last in Division 3 around 2005/6 I believe. They've always had decent juniors but changing demographics on the lower north shore means there are too many clubs in a very small space. Killara-West Pymble went down the gurgler a while ago and someone else plays at their ground now.

Hello all,

Stumbled across this site looking for results for the 2015 Bondi Tens.

I am I guess what you could call a Lane Cove veteran.

Regarding the above Colts paragraphs from the 2014 SS page, this is one of the best things that has happened to the club since I scored three try's in season 2009 or 2010, I can't really remember what year it was but due to the way the alphabet works, I was at one stage the leading try scorer in Division 5.......

Anywho, as with many clubs based in the lower north shore, player numbers has in the past few years has always been an ongoing issue. Over the years there has been an on going effort to attract players but with results not always being the best player retention became a concern. With the 2013 season being winless for first grade some deeper thinking took place.

Lane Cove Junior Rugby Club is an entire separate entity for the seniors, with literally hundreds of kids playing the game and is extremely well managed. With the Junior players, once they reach the mid-teens they simply stopped playing for Lane Cove an generally played with their schools. There was no link between the seniors and the juniors, so with the help of some seniors old boys in conjunction with the juniors a link was formed, that being the Colts in 2014. Not only for the first time in 49 years did Lane Cove have a Colts side, we also had an under 16's side.

The long term hope is that the Colts side will provide an opportunity for those players, who one they finish high school, wish to continue playing rugby with Lane Cove can continue to do so before joining the seniors ranks.

If the members of this forum are happy to oblige me, I am happy to provide you with a history of the Coves in Subbies over the last 15 years or so and if the members are really, really obliging I would be happy to give you my playing memories for the Coves over the last 12 or so years.

Looking forward to season 2015,
LC Bernie.

Cactus Jack

Bob McCowan (2)
How is it fair to the clubs that train once or twice a week and the players play for the love of the game to go up against semi pro players!

I think you might be a little over zealous with your assumption of what these paid players do there Ozzie Bob. I think you'll find that they will generally do everything you or I would do regarding training. In fact I have heard on good authority that some of these superstars train less.

In other news it looks like Div 6 will be seeing a couple of new teams from the Illawarra Comp.
Engadine and Wollondilly have officially withdrawn from Illawarra and will play in Sydney Subbies in 2015.
- http://idru.com.au/en/591-rant-55

Engadine is pretty local for the SE Conference, but the trip out to Wilton to play Wollondilly will be a fair hike for a few teams.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
I think you might be a little over zealous with your assumption of what these paid players do there Ozzie Bob. I think you'll find that they will generally do everything you or I would do regarding training. In fact I have heard on good authority that some of these superstars train less.

In other news it looks like Div 6 will be seeing a couple of new teams from the Illawarra Comp.
- http://idru.com.au/en/591-rant-55

Engadine is pretty local for the SE Conference, but the trip out to Wilton to play Wollondilly will be a fair hike for a few teams.

That is some serious travel ESP for teams like Dundas on the other side of Sydney.

Will Div 6 be split into conferences again?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I guess that's why it was so great to see Newport be joint champs in the 'Barry' cup last year up against a club who had a lot of players that i am sure weren't there for the love of the game!

Ozzie Bob it might explain Forests recruitment behaviour as they wouldnt have enjoyed seeing Newport win as much as you.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Wollondilly came into 5th Division a few years back and were forfeiting 2nd Grade by mid-season regularly. Did the trip out to Wilton once in 2009 - beat them 31-zip in 2nds and 34-14 in firsts.

Hope they give 6th Div a decent shake. They might have picked up the odd Harlequin who didn't want to travel to Illawarra.

Rugbyfish

Stan Wickham (3)
Perhaps engidine and wollondilly will nominate for 5th division and subbies might have all 6 divisions running next year

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Ozzie Bob it might explain Forests recruitment behaviour as they wouldnt have enjoyed seeing Newport win as much as you.

I know Newport don't like BOBs but it was great to see a bunch of blokes who came from colts along with guys like Glassie get their hands on 'Barry' rather than the mob from Roseville!

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
I've heard a few whispers that collaroy, dee why and wakehurst are entering teams in subbies this year

Great to hear!

Although it begs the question, shouldn't some of these clubs merge to create a more stable club and player base? Having 1 team at Collaroy and 1 team at Dee Why seems like a lot of overkill, merging the two would create a 2 team club with double the resources. I understand it is not that simple but for 2 clubs re-entering the comp after a few years off it's a good chance for them to start fresh as a new entity.

It always baffled me why Lane Cove, Chatswood, Roseville, Killara/West Pymble have battled for so long when they could have merged and create 2 decent sized clubs. It seems they would rather die a slow death than merge with their rival, which of course I also understand.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Right on the money - but again, rugby is victim to its own politicking. Chatswood were desperate to get to their Centenary it would seem (and damn the torpedoes!) and while Covies have a strong junior program, their seniors have been suffering for a while

When you throw in the fact that all four clubs had decent facilities, its a crying shame to risk losing that to rugby.

Wooly Mammoth

Frank Row (1)
Do the integrity commission have a member on the forum? I believe Epping are splashing the cash on a number of ex Parramatta players this year.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Do the integrity commission have a member on the forum? I believe Epping are splashing the cash on a number of ex Parramatta players this year.

Hahahahahahahahaha....... Where do you believe that they are getting the cash from? There have never been any suggestions of Epping paying players and you believe that this has changed now that they are not allowed to.

Would love to know your source because this is a pretty serious allegation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

2 messages into this version of your GAGR career and you're spreading rumour. That's interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.