• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Despite the awful beer selection at Concord Oval it was a great day of rugby. As many predicted in 1st grade Blue Mountains were too good for a flat looking St Pats team. The Blueys captain and 10 put on a clinic as he got the boys over the line for a deserved premiership. Blueys seemed to be very well prepared and were ready for the bash and barge that St Pats were inevitable going to throw at them. St Pats would be disappointed they did not put in a better showing on the day but don't think any could deny the better team on the day and most of the season won.

The surprise result of the day was Forest getting up in 2s. Full credit to Forest who were too good for a huuuge Blue Mountains side. As you'd expect the Forest crowd were out in full force. A very impressive result for the team that finished in 4th place.

Colts was probably the match of the day with the lead changing hands on a number of occasions. Forest would be disappointed with how their season finished with 3 losses and a draw consecutively. St Pats used their well drilled forward pack and hard ball runners to seal the game late and a take out their second premiership of the day.

3rd grade was a tough old match but Blue Mountains were deserving winners after a stellar season. St Pats were too good in 4th grade using their big boys well up front to keep UNSW quiet.
Was it hairy man?

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
From a bobs supporter congratulations on the two premierships on the weekend. Too good, what can you say!

Are we going to start this shit up again?? HAC doesnt pay players!! I also have no doubt Brothers dont either.

Of the starting 15 on sat

We are all WSU student, WSU old Boys, blokes from Penrith or mates of the coaches. We all love playing rugby and are having a great time playing together. Just because we arent all private school boys, doesnt make us any different from every other team in the comp.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Are we going to start this shit up again?? HAC doesnt pay players!! I also have no doubt Brothers dont either.

Of the starting 15 on sat

We are all WSU student, WSU old Boys, blokes from Penrith or mates of the coaches. We all love playing rugby and are having a great time playing together. Just because we arent all private school boys, doesnt make us any different from every other team in the comp.
Some pretty handy mates the coach has there... all good mate, I'll take your word for it. Congrats on 3 in a row!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Year Of

Allen Oxlade (6)
Subbies need to make major changes to their comps for next year or were going to have 7 team competitions soon.

My answer is this

Div 1 - 4 grades and 1 colts - 10 teams
Div 2 - 3 grades and 1 colts - 10 teams
Div 3 - 3 grades - 10 teams
Div 4 - 2 grades
Div 5 - 1 grade - maybe in 2 parts

Thoughts???

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Subbies need to make major changes to their comps for next year or were going to have 7 team competitions soon.

My answer is this

Div 4 - 2 grades

Thoughts???
I guess we have the opposite problem to a lot of clubs where we have no issue at all fielding colts but can't field 3 senior teams so under this structure would still need to be in div 4 with maybe a radford cup team.. but I agree on the whole that div 3 shouldn't need a colts. Before colts were even around in div 3 we had a colts side playing 3rd grade so maybe that's the option. If you have a 10 team div 3 you probably then don't need a 2 grade div 4 comp either.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)

My answer is this

Div 4 - 2 grades

Thoughts???

I get what your saying. Immediate question that comes to mind for me is how that fits into a 14-round regular season. If you keep it as 14 rounds inevitably a few clubs each year will be unhappy about getting the short straw, but can we really go back to a full 18-round home and away season now?

Know shute shield clubs get the shits with not playing everybody twice, particularly when at the wrong end of it...

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
I get what your saying. Immediate question that comes to mind for me is how that fits into a 14-round regular season. If you keep it as 14 rounds inevitably a few clubs each year will be unhappy about getting the short straw, but can we really go back to a full 18-round home and away season now?

Know shute shield clubs get the shits with not playing everybody twice, particularly when at the wrong end of it.
Definitely agree with the top 2 divs going to 10. There is definitely a standout 4 in div 3 in terms of club organisation to give you the 20. Could those 2 divs go to 18 rounds?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hard enough to get players to commit to 14 rounds. Add another month and a lot of clubs will be unhappy

The Year Of

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm not saying I have all the answers but they were a lot of forfeits in Div 3 and Div's below and we need to work out ways to improve this and our competitions. Time of games, locations, travel etc.

Its all stopping people from playing

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Hard enough to get players to commit to 14 rounds. Add another month and a lot of clubs will be unhappy

But it could really only be adding an extra fortnight. Currently 2 Wet Weather's and a Guaranteed Bye in the Div 1 calendar, who also start a week after everyone else. Remove 2 of these 4 events (put the wet weather weekend/s towards the end of the season) and finals would become September footy again and what's not to like about that?

Plus 2 extra canteen rounds would see the bottom line for a fair few clubs improve

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)

My answer is this

Div 4 - 2 grades

Thoughts???

10 Teams comps just isn't possible at the moment. Not if you want to you want to avoid regular forfeits. 10 team comps is the ideal future state. But just not feasible right now as injuries and the social aspect of Subbies means you just can't get that commitment.
But how to get there?

1. Stop making 1st grade so bloody important. You can't tell me that bloke who turns up every week to support the Club in 5th grade and invariably play a couple of games to cover injuries is 22 times less important than the 1st grader who generally rocks up 4 hours later and spends less over the bar. Would definitely make the idea of paying players especially stupid and cost ineffective.

2. Allow a higher grade to forfeit. Stop making unqualified players play higher than they can or up to 3-4 games in a day and players might not be so inclined to walk away. Yes there could be shenanigans but you still lose club champs for forfeiting and make finals qualification for lower teams based on lack of forfeits, fines etc. and that could be kept in check.

3. Have 2 and 1 grade comps regional. If people don't have to spend so much time travelling they might actually have time to play footy.

Just a thought or 2

Oh Yeah, stop making social players pay for the salaries of f$%cking useless show ponies.

laura.ainslie

Peter Burge (5)
Despite the awful beer selection at Concord Oval it was a great day of rugby. As many predicted in 1st grade Blue Mountains were too good for a flat looking St Pats team. The Blueys captain and 10 put on a clinic as he got the boys over the line for a deserved premiership. Blueys seemed to be very well prepared and were ready for the bash and barge that St Pats were inevitable going to throw at them. St Pats would be disappointed they did not put in a better showing on the day but don't think any could deny the better team on the day and most of the season won.

The surprise result of the day was Forest getting up in 2s. Full credit to Forest who were too good for a huuuge Blue Mountains side. As you'd expect the Forest crowd were out in full force. A very impressive result for the team that finished in 4th place.

Colts was probably the match of the day with the lead changing hands on a number of occasions. Forest would be disappointed with how their season finished with 3 losses and a draw consecutively. St Pats used their well drilled forward pack and hard ball runners to seal the game late and a take out their second premiership of the day.

3rd grade was a tough old match but Blue Mountains were deserving winners after a stellar season. St Pats were too good in 4th grade using their big boys well up front to keep UNSW quiet.

Colts was a great match. Great comradarie between the two match officials also. Was a pleasure to marshal that match.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Fair call. I get that. What does your div 3 look like then?

Div 1. 14 teams. 4 grades and colts
Balmain
Colleagues
Drummoyne
Hunters
Knox
Mosman
Petersham
Waverley
Blue Mountains
St Pats
Forest
Hills
HAC
Epping

Div 2. 3 grades + Colts
Beecroft
Lindfield
UNSW
BOBS
Iggies
Newport
Redfield
Hawkesbury Valley

You would have to enhance Halligans cup to cater for those DIV 1 teams that can’t field 4 grades and those DiV 2 clubs who possibly could.

The Year Of

Allen Oxlade (6)
Div 1. 10 teams. 4 grades and colts
Balmain
Colleagues
Drummoyne
Hunters
Knox
Mosman
Petersham
Waverley
Blue Mountains
St Pats

Div 2. 3 grades + Colts
Beecroft
Forest
Hills
HAC
Epping
Lindfield
UNSW
BOBS
Newport
Redfield

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Div 1. 14 teams. 4 grades and colts
Balmain
Colleagues
Drummoyne
Hunters
Knox
Mosman
Petersham
Waverley
Blue Mountains
St Pats
Forest
Hills
HAC
Epping

Div 2. 3 grades + Colts
Beecroft
Lindfield
UNSW
BOBS
Iggies
Newport
Redfield
Hawkesbury Valley

You would have to enhance Halligans cup to cater for those DIV 1 teams that can’t field 4 grades and those DiV 2 clubs who possibly could.
Best thing you've ever said heavyd. I could not agree more

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Div 1. 10 teams. 4 grades and colts
Balmain
Colleagues
Drummoyne
Hunters
Knox
Mosman
Petersham