1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Discussion in 'Subbies Rugby' started by Ozzie Bob, Oct 10, 2017.

1. GunnerDownUnder Jim Clark (26)

Was it hairy man?
  2. Ozzie Bob Ted Thorn (20)

From a bobs supporter congratulations on the two premierships on the weekend. Too good, what can you say!

3. HeavyB Fred Wood (13)

Some pretty handy mates the coach has there. all good mate, I'll take your word for it. Congrats on 3 in a row!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. The Year Of Allen Oxlade (6)

Subbies need to make major changes to their comps for next year or were going to have 7 team competitions soon.

My answer is this

Div 1 - 4 grades and 1 colts - 10 teams
    Div 2 - 3 grades and 1 colts - 10 teams
    Div 3 - 3 grades - 10 teams
    Div 4 - 2 grades
    Div 5 - 1 grade - maybe in 2 parts

Thoughts???
  5. HeavyB Fred Wood (13)

I guess we have the opposite problem to a lot of clubs where we have no issue at all fielding colts but can't field 3 senior teams so under this structure would still need to be in div 4 with maybe a radford cup team.. but I agree on the whole that div 3 shouldn't need a colts. Before colts were even around in div 3 we had a colts side playing 3rd grade so maybe that's the option. If you have a 10 team div 3 you probably then don't need a 2 grade div 4 comp either.

6. fkj Chris McKivat (8)

I get what your saying. Immediate question that comes to mind for me is how that fits into a 14-round regular season. If you keep it as 14 rounds inevitably a few clubs each year will be unhappy about getting the short straw, but can we really go back to a full 18-round home and away season now?

Know shute shield clubs get the shits with not playing everybody twice, particularly when at the wrong end of it.
  7. HeavyB Fred Wood (13)

Definitely agree with the top 2 divs going to 10. There is definitely a standout 4 in div 3 in terms of club organisation to give you the 20. Could those 2 divs go to 18 rounds?

8. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

Hard enough to get players to commit to 14 rounds. Add another month and a lot of clubs will be unhappy
  9. The Year Of Allen Oxlade (6)

I'm not saying I have all the answers but they were a lot of forfeits in Div 3 and Div's below and we need to work out ways to improve this and our competitions. Time of games, locations, travel etc.

Its all stopping people from playing
    HeavyB likes this.
  10. Seagull Butler Herbert Moran (7)

But it could really only be adding an extra fortnight. Currently 2 Wet Weather's and a Guaranteed Bye in the Div 1 calendar, who also start a week after everyone else. Remove 2 of these 4 events (put the wet weather weekend/s towards the end of the season) and finals would become September footy again and what's not to like about that?

Plus 2 extra canteen rounds would see the bottom line for a fair few clubs improve
    thetraitor likes this.
  11. Rugby Central Charlie Fox (21)

10 Teams comps just isn't possible at the moment. Not if you want to you want to avoid regular forfeits. 10 team comps is the ideal future state. But just not feasible right now as injuries and the social aspect of Subbies means you just can't get that commitment.
    But how to get there?

1. Stop making 1st grade so bloody important. You can't tell me that bloke who turns up every week to support the Club in 5th grade and invariably play a couple of games to cover injuries is 22 times less important than the 1st grader who generally rocks up 4 hours later and spends less over the bar. Would definitely make the idea of paying players especially stupid and cost ineffective.

2. Allow a higher grade to forfeit. Stop making unqualified players play higher than they can or up to 3-4 games in a day and players might not be so inclined to walk away. Yes there could be shenanigans but you still lose club champs for forfeiting and make finals qualification for lower teams based on lack of forfeits, fines etc. and that could be kept in check.

3. Have 2 and 1 grade comps regional. If people don't have to spend so much time travelling they might actually have time to play footy.

Just a thought or 2

Oh Yeah, stop making social players pay for the salaries of f$%cking useless show ponies.
  12. footy_footy Peter Burge (5)

Yes it was, the poor West Harbour players looked to be sick of pouring beers during the colts game. Nothing wring with a few tins to make life easier. They must get it dirt cheap otherwise can't see any upside.
  13. Heavyd Alex Ross (28)

Agreed. Even if it is only another twos weeks it will be a struggle to keep this generation engaged.
  14. HeavyB Fred Wood (13)

Fair call. I get that. What does your div 3 look like then?

15. laura.ainslie Peter Burge (5)

Colts was a great match. Great comradarie between the two match officials also. Was a pleasure to marshal that match.

16. Heavyd Alex Ross (28)

Div 1. 14 teams. 4 grades and colts
    Balmain
    Colleagues
    Drummoyne
    Hunters
    Knox
    Mosman
    Petersham
    Waverley
    Blue Mountains
    St Pats
    Forest
    Hills
    HAC
    Epping

Div 2. 3 grades + Colts
    Beecroft
    Lindfield
    UNSW
    BOBS
    Iggies
    Newport
    Redfield
    Hawkesbury Valley

You would have to enhance Halligans cup to cater for those DIV 1 teams that can’t field 4 grades and those DiV 2 clubs who possibly could.
  17. Heavyd Alex Ross (28)

Div 1 finals format is top 6 like Shute a Shield
  18. The Year Of Allen Oxlade (6)

Div 1. 10 teams. 4 grades and colts
    Balmain
    Colleagues
    Drummoyne
    Hunters
    Knox
    Mosman
    Petersham
    Waverley