• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
So not a lot of interest on here re GF day. Congrats to Knox Mosman Colleagues and Petersham. Well done.

Congratulations to Petersham on back to back Kentwell's, a fine achievement no matter how you look at it. Coach Nicholls seems to be able to win them for fun after coaching the past 2 years at Petersham and coaching one of the best Kentwell sides I've ever seen in St Pats 2014. Drummoyne have played in many GF's over the years which is a credit to their strength, depth and recruitment but I'm sure they would dearly love to add another Kentwell Cup to their trophy cabinet.

Hats off to Mosman who were able to secure a few pieces of silverware to cap off a top year. Their undefeated colts team is one of the best I can recall and deservedly ran away with a good win. Must give some love to the Hunters Hill colties who finished 4th, knocked off traditional colts powerhouses Knox and Colleagues in consecutive weeks to have a shot at Mosman. It must have been good for Hunters Hill to salvage a good result for 1 grade amongst a tough year.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Hi Guys

I hope you are enjoying the off season. I found an interesting article on the abc in relation to AFL in Western Australian country towns. I really think the article could relate to any sport in Australia right now. Lack of players, Volunteers, and clubs struggling. I really hope 2019 is a big year for subbies. As plenty of punters have said its time to reduce the number of teams (Not clubs) in each division. Its not like 10 years ago where it was a punishment for a club to be dropped a division, now it is about surviving.

It really should be Div 1 - 4 senior teams and colts

Div 2/3 - 3 senior teams and colts

Div 4 - 3 teams
Div 5 - 2 teams
Div 6 - 1 team

Anyway here is the article on AFL in country Western Australia: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-...-afl-must-adapt-or-die/10196314?section=sport

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Hi Guys

I hope you are enjoying the off season. I found an interesting article on the abc in relation to AFL in Western Australian country towns. I really think the article could relate to any sport in Australia right now. Lack of players, Volunteers, and clubs struggling. I really hope 2019 is a big year for subbies. As plenty of punters have said its time to reduce the number of teams (Not clubs) in each division. Its not like 10 years ago where it was a punishment for a club to be dropped a division, now it is about surviving.

It really should be Div 1 - 4 senior teams and colts

Div 2/3 - 3 senior teams and colts

Div 4 - 3 teams
Div 5 - 2 teams
Div 6 - 1 team

Anyway here is the article on AFL in country Western Australia: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-...-afl-must-adapt-or-die/10196314?section=sport
Isn't that just how it is now except for div 2?

I think the biggest issue is probably div 3 and below. 2 teams from this year's div 3 are in reality probably div 5 clubs are far as numbers and at least 2 more struggle to field colts. I'd suggest colts probably has to go for div 3 and just leave it at 3 senior teams, allowing your stronger div 4 clubs to move up without that burden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
Isn't that just how it is now except for div 2?

I think the biggest issue is probably div 3 and below. 2 teams from this year's div 3 are in reality probably div 5 clubs are far as numbers and at least 2 more struggle to field colts. I'd suggest colts probably has to go for div 3 and just leave it at 3 senior teams, allowing your stronger div 4 clubs to move up without that burden.

That is a huge step backwards. How can you continue to strengthen your club if you don't have Colts?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If rugby can tap into local schools - PUBLIC SCHOOLS you toff bastards ;) - then there is no reason Colts can't become the norm for clubs in any division.

I also think there is a missing link here in forming ties with the local rugby league community.

The base of the league pyramid is very broad, and the peak is high. Kids playing for the first or second XIII at certain schools are going to reach a point where they aren't on the pro path, and some tend to drift away from sport altogether.

Bring them across to union for a bit of fun and get them to hang around. Build your U16-U18 and then into Colts. They have excellent fitness and a lot of them love the challenge of union plus the changing nature of the space on offer.

Look at a kid like Jordan Mailata - was always going to be too big for a full time league contract, and rugby should have fucking snapped him up as a Wallaby lock or #8. Now he's in the NFL, making the first squad for Philidelphia. Amazing.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
If rugby can tap into local schools - PUBLIC SCHOOLS you toff bastards ;) - then there is no reason Colts can't become the norm for clubs in any division.

I also think there is a missing link here in forming ties with the local rugby league community.

The base of the league pyramid is very broad, and the peak is high. Kids playing for the first or second XIII at certain schools are going to reach a point where they aren't on the pro path, and some tend to drift away from sport altogether.

Bring them across to union for a bit of fun and get them to hang around. Build your U16-U18 and then into Colts. They have excellent fitness and a lot of them love the challenge of union plus the changing nature of the space on offer.

Look at a kid like Jordan Mailata - was always going to be too big for a full time league contract, and rugby should have fucking snapped him up as a Wallaby lock or #8. Now he's in the NFL, making the first squad for Philidelphia. Amazing.

It’s the best way to go about it, my junior club was at least 75% playing both league and union and the end result was one league Aussie school boy rep played out his U20s contract and then he came back to union and just plays subbies with his mates.

Had another guy who represented his country in league (albeit one of the small islands) got sick of it and straight back to union, both these guys would’ve 100% been considered leaguies as kids but planting that seed can pay dividends in the long run

Moorabbin rugby club in Melbourne even took it a step further when I played and formed a whole rugby league club so the kids played union on Saturday then went and played league together on Sunday - quality outside the box thinking

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
St Ives were the only club without a colts and they will probably be relegated anyway.
Relegated... they'll be lucky if they don't fold.

You can't tell me that Ag and Valley have fair dinkum colts teams either.

Bernie

Allen Oxlade (6)
For those suffering from withdrawal symptoms due to the end of the season and you're finding that international rugby is not doing it for you on NITV-Channel 34 at 4pm today is Rugby Union South Australia's Adelaide Club Rugby. Last weeks game was a cracker of a game between Brighton and Burnside.

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
who took home the division 1-6 player awards? and coach/es of the year?
Cant find it on the subbies website.

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Any predictions? I will give coach of the year to the Blue mountains coach for getting them from 4th to Champions.

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any predictions? I will give coach of the year to the Blue mountains coach for getting them from 4th to Champions.

What about the head coach for Epping? They have done wonders with that club, and they are great to referee! (I won't tell you which games i have done at Sommerville this season...)

FenceLover

Stan Wickham (3)
What about the head coach for Epping? They have done wonders with that club, and they are great to referee! (I won't tell you which games i have done at Sommerville this season.)

No fence though, so no future unfortunately.
I covered this off in 2017, but clearly few here are paying attention

Bernie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good story today in Manly Daily regarding recent Peter Kelly Medal recipient Jan Tricker.
Search engine of choice- Manly Daily. Page 1 and 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.