• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs v Force

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hatchie

So, add Cowan & Dunning to the injured list (Barthol, Pocock, Brown, Shepherd, Sare, etc...). Now the only strength we had left (our front row) is started to wane. Bugger. I don't think Cummins is fully fit either - he has looked out of sorts the last two games. Mind you, so has the whole side.

I think once we get Brown and Pocock back on the paddock things will start to improve. Everyone seems focussed on the backs, forgetting these two blokes have been out of the side too.

Ahhh, perchance to dream....

Henderson - Cowan - Dunning
Sharpe - Wykes
Hodgson - Brown - Pocock
Sheehan - Hill
JOC (James O'Connor) - Cross
Cummins - Shepherd - Staniforth

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
hatchie said:
I don't think Cummins is fully fit either - he has looked out of sorts the last two games.

Apart from his mother, I doubt whether anyone has ever thought that Cummins looked OK.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
TheRiddler said:
hatchie said:
I don't think Cummins is fully fit either - he has looked out of sorts the last two games.

Apart from his mother, I doubt whether anyone has ever thought that Cummins looked OK.

i'd venture that peter frampton appreciates his hair styling

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Ryan Cross is a big fan as well. Or maybe Cummins basis his style on Ryan Cross before he became a little folically challenged.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
hatchie said:
Everyone seems focussed on the backs

It's the Australian way.

Your blokes are doing it tough hatchie. I thought you would a bit with Giteau going but not to the extent that has transpired with all the injuries. The Force are getting to the stage of the Reds a few years ago when Eddie Jones had to get a couple of props from the park.

We are all hoping that Force comes good - except Tahs fans next weekend, that is. We've all been through the injury predicament. As well as the Reds for more than one year, the Tahs had it in 2007 and the Brumbies in the late 90's.

On paper the Tahs should win but you never know. If the Tahs subconsciously think they are going to win in advance as it looked like they did against the Reds and the Sharks, the Force could smack them badly.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Lance Free said:
Force team just announced. Unchanged side from last week except for the reserves.

Don't understand this - O'Young should be starting if they're any chance.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lance Free said:
Reserves
Ben Whittaker
Kieran Longbottom
Tom Hockings
Luke Jones
Chris O’Young
Sam Harris
Mitch Inman

good option. Get done by 50 and blame the reserve front rowers. :thumb :thumb

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Sorry, should have extrapolated - the press release said both Cowan (shoulder) and Dunning (concussion) are injured.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think the reason that Sheehan is starting is that he's an abrasive little so-an-so and will want some payback for being given the shove.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hawko said:
I think the reason that Sheehan is starting is that he's an abrasive little so-an-so and will want some payback for being given the shove.

More likely is that he will be on the receiving end of some payback for being an abrasive little so-and-so.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I thought he has been playing well this year - better than for the Rats last season when he had a few shockers.

Rats bias? tell me it ain't true.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Palu is out with his hamstring strain and Baxter is out with a calf strain.

Mowen will play 8 and pro Academy player McCaffrey, who will have a rookie contract next year, goes to the bench.

Kepu will start at THP with Palmer riding the pine.

If Caff gets on the park it will be McInteresting to see two of the Sydney comp's finest young forwards, McCalman and McCaffrey, going at each other.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Lee Grant said:
Kepu will start at THP with Palmer riding the pine.

And now we see where a lack of game time for Palmer will hurt us. He doesn't have much match fitness but the Force scrum was very good last week and we need a nugget in there to blunt their charge.

Cyril Towers (30)
Palmer has been playing JWs and demolished Shepherdson last week so has some match fitness. If he gets on it will be at THP against Henderson and Palmer will have no problem with him. The Force scrum is only holding together because of Fairbrother and Fatcat will look after him. Whatever happens Waratah scrum will dominate.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Baxter, Palu ruled out of Force clash

Wallaby forwards Al Baxter and Wycliff Palu have been ruled out of Saturday’s round six match against the Western Force in Perth due to injury.

Both players were given every opportunity to play, and while head coach Chris Hickey remains positive about their chances of making it back for the Blues game, the decision was made to give the Test stars more time to recover.

“If it was a semi-final you’d seriously consider putting both players on the park, but at this stage of the season the risk is just too great,” said Hickey. “There’s a good chance they could worsen their injuries by playing and given we have good depth in the pack it’s the right decision to make.

“By staying in Sydney they can get on to their rehab and we’ll see where they’re at when we come back on Monday.”

Wallaby prop Sekope Kepu comes into the starting line-up for their first time this year, with Dan Palmer moving onto the bench. Ben Mowen will now start at No.8, with Locky McCaffrey celebrating his new Super 14 contract by being elevated to the match day 22 for the second time this year.

“Keps and Benny Mowen have a lot of experience starting in these important games and will have no problem slotting into the side,” said Hickey. “Dan Palmer and Locky McCaffrey have been sticking up their hand for selection every week and they were both fairly impressive for the Junior Waratahs last weekend.

“It’s a great sign of the depth within the squad that if we lose players like Al and Cliffy we can replace them with quality players.”

The HSBC Waratahs fly to Western Australia this morning and will hold their Captain’s Run at Perth Oval in the afternoon.

2010 Super 14 – Round 6
WESTERN FORCE V HSBC WARATAHS
Saturday 20 March 2010 (Kick-off 7:10pm AWST, 10:10pm AEDT)
Perth Oval

HSBC WARATAHS
15. Sosene Anesi (Eastern Suburbs)
14. Lachie Turner (Eastwood)
13. Tom Carter (Sydney University)
12. Berrick Barnes (Sydney University)
11. Drew Mitchell (Balmain)
10. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University)
9. Luke Burgess (Sydney University)
8. Ben Mowen (Randwick)
7. Phil Waugh [c] (Sydney University)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
4. Dean Mumm (Sydney University)
3. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
Reserves
16. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood)
17. Dan Palmer (Southern Districts)
18. Will Caldwell (Sydney University)
19. Locky McCaffrey (Eastwood)
20. Josh Holmes (Warringah)
21. Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs)
22. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
But now injury has put us into the position that we should have been in anyway - McCaffrey and Palmer getting game time against some of the weaker teams. But Palmer is lost to us next year and the time spent on the park only benefits the Brumbies. Conservative short-sightedness rules.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
topo said:
Palmer has been playing JWs and demolished Shepherdson last week so has some match fitness. If he gets on it will be at THP against Henderson and Palmer will have no problem with him. The Force scrum is only holding together because of Fairbrother and Fatcat will look after him. Whatever happens Waratah scrum will dominate.

the same way the Reds scrum demolished the Force one?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Looking forward to seeing how Mowan and McCaffrey handle 8. With Palu unsigned it maybe very important

Status
Not open for further replies.