• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs v Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Tahs were very poor.
Force were also poor apart from Hodgson who really stole them into the game, and Staniforth with a lucky intercept. Their inability to score was appalling.
Neither team takes a moral victory from that I am afraid.
Barnes is incapable of running a game, Anesi is godawful shite and the Tahs forwards (apart from TPN) carried the ball ineffectually. Burgess was back to his hop-skip-jump across field worst. Waugh is a captain only by being a mongrel, but nothing else.
NZ derbies don't end up this crap routinely, so why do Aus ones? (I consider the Reds / Force game an aberration).

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
David said:
One of the worst games of rugby I have seen in a long time, also Barnes just reinforced my long held belief that he is one of the most overrated players in the Super 14. Hogson was a stand out performer though.

your not the only one who thinks that. I really hope he doesn't get picked for high honors just because of his name.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well that was pretty ordinary viewing. I switched channels and watched the camel racing here... ::)

Neither side really looked like they gave a shit tonight, with the Tahs just giving a bit more of a shit than the Force. Not much urgency in the forwards, aimless wandering in the backs. Tipped the Force to get up after that pizzling we gave them last week, but they seem to have gone back into their shell.

D

David

I am sure a few people with disagree with me here, but Waugh needs to go, he's been around far too long, is not longer as effective as he use to be and clearly dictates to the coach their style of play.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
David said:
I am sure a few people with disagree with me here, but Waugh needs to go, he's been around far too long, is not longer as effective as he use to be and clearly dictates to the coach their style of play.

He played his position very well, and came up with a few very important turn overs (he does plenty of tackling and is at the breakdown most of the time).

His tactical decisions during the match did not impress me (when to kick for penalty goals etc).

I don't know who dictates the Tahs' style of play, but I suspect it is the coach - Hickey - who dictates the style of play, who selects the team and squad, who runs the training...(does anyone have genuine information that it is Waugh who does these things, or is it just speculation?)

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
David said:

Don't count me in that surely dwindling few.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Or me.

I'm not sure it would work (though it wouldnt work any worse than the current option) but a back row of Mowen, Palu and Dennis might be interesting. There is no true fetcher, but Mowen would do ok and genuine fetchers don't seem to have as much of a place in today's game.

Sadly, for all the Tahs leaders, there arent many captaincy options. I'd probably go for TPN with Mumm the second pick.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Anyway, the game itself:

what a pile of crap

I wonder what excuses we'll here from the Waratahs this time?....Palu was injured, so there was only TPN running the ball with any effect? Baxter was injured so there was no one else to get stuck in at the breakdown? We are still waiting for the combinations to settle? The Freemantle Doctor affected ball handling? Jet lag? Humidity?

A couple of positives for the Tahs:

they won (just)
um
that talented young THP Palmer got a run
the defence was good

Positives for the Force:

1 bonus point
Hodgson played very well
less crap than usual
the defence was good

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Until those last two turnovers (when Hodgson was off the field?) Waugh was seriously shown up by the Force number 7. I'm not sure you can call him a fetcher anymore, seems to see himself seagulling like more of a Tom Carter without the flair

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Do I need to go and get some more membership cards printed up?

Wonderful use of the bench by our honorary patron. Truly inspiring.

And Not So Sharp proved once and for all what a complete an utter no brain neanderthal he really is.

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
How do I get my 2 hours spent watching this game back? What a waste.
Waugh is a very conservative captain being directed by a conservative coach with two conservative players in key play making positions. Wonder what style of rugby the Tah's are going to play?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Force came to play this week by throttling the Tahs in defense and the Tahs had no answer. Wish they'd played like that last week and put the northeners to the test. (And don't tell me they did!)

Hodgson was huge and is now number 2 behind Pocock. If Brown and Pocock had been on the park the Tah's wouldn't have had any more than 20% possession.

That was the way you'd expect the Force to play after a hammering; so what was the gameplan to negate it? Sure wasn't to let Hodgson pilfer so much ball at the ruck by not committing. And we have not got the hang of the new interpretations yet - at the first sign of weakness or hesitation from the runner, first man puts him on the deck, next two blow over the top in counter-ruck and the fourth to snaffle the ball.

Barnes is not getting the backline going, Hangers was much more creative, the grubber try was very well worked. After some thought I suggest that we put Barnes back to fullback. He's defensively expert, kicks OK, and that solves the Anese problem (I thought Anese played better than past weeks but he still hasn't made one break this season). Then Beale goes to 12 and Horne to 13. Holmes to start over Burgess. That looks better but will need a couple of weeks to gel properly, and we really don't have that now. Blues will be tough next week, Cheetahs easier then the Crusaders away which could be a train wreck if we don't front.

We have the cattle up front but aren't really using them well. Mowen is now playing like someone whose morale is low, wonder why, and Dennis was quiet this week. TPN was a standout and Waugh chimed in at the death, though Hodgson shaded him all night. Lineout was poor, scrum did not turn dominance into turnovers and as the match went on Force became more effective. Cleanout was totally ineffective, how did we allow Hodgson that many turnovers?

Yes Riddler, you are going to need more cards. What to do now that Cheika is out of the picture - hope he gets fired early? ;)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Agree with Riddler about the bench. McCaffrey still hasn't got on and last night Dennis could have had a rest with Mowen going to 6. It could not have been worse. Holmes should have come on at half time and Beale got 10 minutes of defensive practice. Caldwells mongrel in tight would have improved the ruck situation. So .... conservative.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Tahs seemed to be waiting for someone else to do something, with no one except Nau & Mitchell trying to make something happen.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
I thought the Tahs really missed Palu. Everything was left to TPN and he can't do everything. Mowen failed to step up and I cant see why so many people on here love him so much. He is a poor mans Steven Hoiles and that is saying something.

Barnes had a shocker but he still had a couple of touches that showed he has a bit of class. Would stick with the same backline except the obvious Horne for Carter and Beale for Anessi.

Once again the Tahs looked like they lacked fitness. Too much walking, no energy in contact, runners standing flat footed and getting in one anothers way. Very lucky to get away with it.

Robbo hasnt been having quite the same impact as in the past. Even his passing from the base of the ruck has fallen away. He might be down to number 3 halfback in the country although on the performance of Burgo, Sheehan and Valentine he probably still has the number 2 slot locked in. When Palmer was coming on it was Robbo who was meant to go off but Kepu walked off. Do we think Robbo or Waugh overruled Hickey on that one?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
the gambler said:
Mowen failed to step up and I cant see why so many people on here love him so much. He is a poor mans Steven Hoiles and that is saying something.

This year Hoiles is about 80% of what he was last year. Mowen is ahead of both.

Once again the Tahs looked like they lacked fitness. Too much walking, no energy in contact, runners standing flat footed and getting in one anothers way.

No, that isn't fitness. That's a lack of direction. They just didn't look interested, or that they had anything to believe in and follow.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
NTA said:
the gambler said:
Mowen failed to step up and I cant see why so many people on here love him so much. He is a poor mans Steven Hoiles and that is saying something.

This year Hoiles is about 80% of what he was last year. Mowen is ahead of both.

Once again the Tahs looked like they lacked fitness. Too much walking, no energy in contact, runners standing flat footed and getting in one anothers way.

No, that isn't fitness. That's a lack of direction. They just didn't look interested, or that they had anything to believe in and follow.

What did Mowen do last night? At least Hoiles can pass the ball. Mowen runs across field, has poor body height in contact and is only of any use in defensive lineouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.