• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Fallout from RWC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

one fallout from the RWC which i hope doesn't happen is increased involvement from the TMO, i think the current powers of the TMO are more then sufficient if not too much, any increase in power or ability to alter the match would cause more issues then it would solve.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Probably because he did not have the influence to get the IRB to state the ref had a shocker and made a gross error in allowing Scotland's try which cost them the game and denied Japan its first Qtr final.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did you even see Samoa's first 3 games? He was probably fired before that match already.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
If they're looking to review the TMO system after the World Cup, perhaps they should consider adopting a system similar to the NBA. The ability to refer to the TMO is restricted during the game (much like it is currently) and it's only in the final, say 5 minutes of the game they can review any decision.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jaysus, please not the NBA or anything from Bubbleball.

One of my young'uns got involved in it at School. With all the timeouts, stopping the clock when the ball goes out of play, and 2 penalty shots when a team goes over 5 (or 7 or whatever the magic number is) team fouls the last 5 minutes of a Bubbleball game can take about 30 minutes of real time to play. The "game" deteriorates into about 30 lots of 4 seconds "play" interrupted by 30 lots of fartarsing around for 30-90 seconds when something might happen but generally involves lots of arm waving by the people wearing the Collingwood jumpers and stuff all else.

Why is a crook decision in the last 5 minutes of a match more important than a crook decision in the first 75 minutes? Every decision impacts on the outcome of the match whether it happens in the first minute or last minute.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I'd hate for the powers that be to rush into a reforming decision on the TMO because of one call at the end of a match. Refereeing is, and has always, been a part of the game. For the most part the system works fairly well now.

I'd hate for us to go down the reactionary path (that the NRL has done) and change rules as soon as someone kicks up a stink about a result that didn't go their way.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Why is a crook decision in the last 5 minutes of a match more important than a crook decision in the first 75 minutes? Every decision impacts on the outcome of the match whether it happens in the first minute or last minute.

Well I would argue that decisions in the final 5 minutes of a game are more critical (which I suppose is the thinking behind that rule in NBA).

A team cant really complain about a bad decision in the first 10 minutes of the game, because they have the whole game to rectify the mistake.

I'm not sold that there needs to be any changes, but if are going to make some, that would make more sense to me than "captain's challenge rule" that is being bandied about.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is the TMO involvement continuing into Super Rugby and normal internationals? Spotlight still on neckrolls? "check check check"

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'd hate for the powers that be to rush into a reforming decision on the TMO because of one call at the end of a match. Refereeing is, and has always, been a part of the game. For the most part the system works fairly well now.

I'd hate for us to go down the reactionary path (that the NRL has done) and change rules as soon as someone kicks up a stink about a result that didn't go their way.

The only evidence in living memory of the rugby powers (WR (World Rugby)/IRB) rushing to make any decision was the review and readjudication of th final penalty in the Scotland v Australia match.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Here's another RWC15 casualty. http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/115761

Joubers is gooooone after Joël Jutge does a Paddy O'Brien and hangs him out to dry.

Taking a leaf from the Chairman of the Board's "Guide to Sacking a Coach" manual, he issues the standard obfuscated "point of no return has been passed but we're not going to say tell you that yet" statement:
“Despite this experience, Craig has been and remains a world-class referee and an important member of our team.”

If Joubers doesn't hang up the Acme Thunderer after this, then it's probably back to club footy for him, with the only future International Appointments being the likes of Andorra vs Uzbekistan, Pitcairn Islands vs Niue Islands or similar.

I don't know, if George Ayoub and Shaun Veldsman can get a gig as TMOs, I don't think that they bar is set terribly high there for an ex ref.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Sure, lets make an 8 team 6 nations, add Georgia and Romania. Very happy to do that.

While we're at it, lets add Japan, Samoa, Tonga and Fiji to the Rugby Championship.

7 games, rotate home and away fixture on a yearly basis for both comps. Shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A question for the Kiwi followers here. In light of Richie's imminent retirement from the test team (has it yet been announced?) and the success of the Pooper for the Wallabies, will we get to see the Cavea (Sam Cane and Ardie Savea) on the ground at the same time next year for the ABs?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A question for the Kiwi followers here. In light of Richie's imminent retirement from the test team (has it yet been announced?) and the success of the Pooper for the Wallabies, will we get to see the Cavea (Sam Cane and Ardie Savea) on the ground at the same time next year for the ABs?

McCaw has not definitely retired, although most expect him to; apparently the NZRU has left the door open for him if he wants.
Savea will be in the 7s program so unlikely to be a big part of Tests next year, although might come in after Rio.
Plus, I reckon you'd be happy with Cane, Kaino and Read as a combo - it works pretty well for them.
So not highly likely.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
McCaw has not definitely retired, although most expect him to; apparently the NZRU has left the door open for him if he wants.
Savea will be in the 7s program so unlikely to be a big part of Tests next year, although might come in after Rio.
Plus, I reckon you'd be happy with Cane, Kaino and Read as a combo - it works pretty well for them.
So not highly likely.

There has been speculation in some quarters that the success of two open sides for the Wallabies would or could see it spreading to other sides as well. I certainly recognise the effectiveness of Read and Kaino, and can see that Ardie might not be available for mid season tests, but he has so much to offer on an individual basis that I could foresee a similar partnership with Sam Cane at the end of the year if either of Kaino or Read lose form or get injured. Just wondering if it might come to pass.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think it'll happen. At least no on a consistent basis. Not least of all because there's a number of young proper blindsides coming through the system. I don't imagine the opensides dominating the loose forward scene in the manner that Pocock and Hooper did/do in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.