• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

How is it "blinkered" so say that current fans have nothing to do with something that happened before most of them were even born?

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
It isn't well made at all. Stop trying to rewrite history to suit your agenda.

Acknowledging what occurred would be far more positive for rugby as a whole. Is it too embarrassing to do so so you attack not even the messenger but someone pointing in the direction of the messenger?

My apologies. I will go back to following Eastwood since Pearson.

T

TOCC

What happened in France in WWII has absolutely no relevance to Australian rugby fans in this country. Il be dammed if I let someone tell me I should be ashamed of what some foreign imperialistic nation from 70 years ago did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

Acknowledging what occurred would be far more positive for rugby as a whole. Is it too embarrassing to do so so you attack not even the messenger but someone pointing in the direction of the messenger?

@miggie. Calm down no one has attacked you they just have a different point of view to you. We acknowledge it happened but I agree it has very little to do with me or Australian rugby.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What happened in France in WWII has absolutely no relevance to Australian rugby fans in this country. Il be dammed if I let someone tell me I should be ashamed of what some foreign imperialistic nation from 70 years ago did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The irony is that rugby in this country should be ashamed of its connivance with the apartheid regime in South Africa. For some weird reason, all the mungoes can talk about is Vichy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

No one is trying to rewrite history.

You are trying to rewrite history by claiming that this has some relevance to Australian rugby in 2015.

It's like trying to say that my wife as a Fine Arts student needs to take some responsibility and educate herself about the evils of Adolph Hitler because he too was a Fine Arts student prior to entering politics.

It is a complete red herring.

People can be well aware of the history whilst also realising that it has absolutely no relevance to rugby union today or to Australian rugby union fans.

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
As the poster above says, South Africa is a separate issue. And not much better unfortunately.

All I did was point out the posts here about a subject in rugby history were wrong.

Clearly not welcome here.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
OK everyone calm down. Miggie, no-one is attacking you, they are just trying to argue with you. This is what this place is about. You can either argue back or change the subject or just not post, it's up to you.

The mods will step in if anything crosses the line. Hit the 'report' button if you think a post deserves attention.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
One would think that if the worldwide rugby community should be ashamed of the actions of the Vichy government that Jews would not play rugby, and in particular that the game of rugby would be abominated in Israel.

After all, the worst sin by far committed by the Nazis (and their fellow travellers like the Vichy French) was the Holocaust.

But not only is rugby played in Israel, there is a national team which plays in national colours

Go figure.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
One would think that if the worldwide rugby community should be ashamed of the actions of the Vichy government that Jews would not play rugby, and in particular that the game of rugby would be abominated in Israel.

After all, the worst sin by far committed by the Nazis (and their fellow travellers like the Vichy French) was the Holocaust.

But not only is rugby played in Israel, there is a national team which plays in national colours

Go figure.

That's because most people are able to recognise whether being able to play a sport or not was the least of people's issues back then. In the grand scheme of WW2 this argument and its legacy are insignificant.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
He got clipped on the way through and was lucky to stay upright. I thought he did pretty well considering, though his kick-off returns were more impressive IMO.

I'd love to see Hayne make the roster, and the Aussie media go bananas over the three touches he will get a game as the Niners go 4-12.

Having said that, I really wouldn't mind Marshawn Lynch at 12. Just saying.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
That's because most people are able to recognise whether being able to play a sport or not was the least of people's issues back then. In the grand scheme of WW2 this argument and its legacy are insignificant.

Mine was a rhetorical question. The answer is obvious to any reasonable person, so why do the mungoes keep going on about it?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not sure what Israel has to do with French rugby and its pretty dim history.

If you really want to help rugby league in France, contact the Austrslian Rugby League bosses and tell them:

1. Stop changing the rules of the game unilaterally.
2. Use some of your wealth to finance a genuine international governing body.
3. Do something concrete to support international competition.
4. In particular,play at least one serious international series during the peak domestic playing season. This would necessitate turning your favourite cash cow into a normal interstate fixture, and by the way, if you want a national sport, you should involve Victoria as well on your interstate series, and stop poaching players from other countries where you are supposed to be promoting the game.

Rugby league in France was actually pretty strong after the war, if their international team is anything to go by. They toured Australia a couple of times, and were wildly popular here.

Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.