• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't. As I said, I think he is the best writer in league in Australia.

I don't follow league much, but have a soft spot for Easts due to distant family connections.

I do buy the SMH every day and think the coverage of rugby is as dire as it ever has been.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I don't. As I said, I think he is the best writer in league in Australia.

I don't follow league much, but have a soft spot for Easts due to distant family connections.

I do buy the SMH every day and think the coverage of rugby is as dire as it ever has been.

Union has slowly been pushed to the edges in the SMH, but to be fair it's pretty decent during the Super Rugby season.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
It doesn't. It has to do with the notion that the Nazi's supported rugby.
The concern is more the other way around rugby getting into bed with nazis

the reason league brings it up more then sa, is because French league was going quite well until the nazi rugby theft.

League never prospered in sa, to many people taking to much pride in their social or skin status

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

the reason league brings it up more then sa, is because French league was going quite well until the nazi rugby theft.

League never prospered in sa, to many people taking to much pride in their social or skin status

So the problem of loig not thriving in France today is because of stuff that happened 70 years ago?

How can any rational person believe that?

Do you think that, just maybe, some of the fault lies a lot closer to home?

Australia runs the game, mate. Maybe Australia should be using some of its wealth and dominance of the game to help countries like France.

When was the last tour here by a French side?

It is now 70 bloody years since the end of the Vichy regime. Who care today? A few thousand mungoes. That's all.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)

You speak as if Rugby League died in France after WWII but in actual fact it was very strong in the 1950's. A decade which saw them complete 2 very successful tours of Australia and also hold the inaugural World Cup in front of pretty good crowds.

French rugby league was pretty resilient to what happened under the Vichy regime. The true decline in the sport in France happened later.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Ok so the league media may have a changed agenda now that David Smith has snubbed Rupert in the way that most offends him.
I'd be looking for a lot more coverage of AFL in news limited papers in future at the expense of league.
There must be an opportunity for union to fill some of the league void in Rupert's heart.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
There must be an opportunity for union to fill some of the league void in Rupert's heart.

Rugby needs more funds off him to make more players semi-professional. A lot of players are being lost to League because they'll pay them 60k a year to play reserve grade.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Rugby needs more funds off him to make more players semi-professional. A lot of players are being lost to League because they'll pay them 60k a year to play reserve grade.

The minimum wage will be $100k under their new TV deal, apparently. Although it might still depend a bit on what else they can get from Uncle Rupert.

T

Train Without a Station

The minimum wage will be $100k under their new TV deal, apparently. Although it might still depend a bit on what else they can get from Uncle Rupert.

He's not talking about those players.

kandos

Frank Nicholson (4)
I always have a fatal attraction to these threads.

By the way, didnt French League have a 'World Cup' success in Australia in the 70's?

I seem to remember a league magazine or book I read with French officials talking of their success, in English language of course, in Australia in the 1970s,
No, I've followed both codes for over 50 years. From memory, the last time the French beat the Kangaroos was on the tour to Britain and France in 1978. Two tests were played in France both won due to the shocking refereeing that allowed Jean-Marc Bourret to kick 10 penalties in one Test.

kandos

Frank Nicholson (4)
Ah, the machinations of French Rugby. What people don’t realise is that ‘professional’ is a misnomer when it comes to League because it was the true amateur game in France. Any money in Rugby was in the hands of Union. Remember that the French were booted out of the 5 Nations due to professionalism and violence with a number of players dying.
Had Jo Maso been born English he would have been barred from playing Union because he started out playing League for Perpignan and played for France at League (under 24’s). And that goes for others as well. The French never had that problem with the gangway between the codes in signing League players; and if you wanted to get on in life it was better to play Union because they always guaranteed better jobs and ‘expenses’. The French attitude was that ‘professional’ meant that was your full time occupation, so by definition both codes were ‘amateur’.
Insofar as Vichy was concerned, the only sport that was banned was League, although Cycling escaped by the skin of its teeth in being allowed to be participated in, and was by far the most popular sport in France in those days. Note also that until the 80’s the French govt barred League from using the word Rugby. It had to be called ‘Jeu a Treize’.
Professionalism was the excuse used by the English (RFU) for the sport being dominated by the Northern Union clubs whereby most of the players were working class in the days when they worked a 6 day week. The proposal to compensate players for the lost time was the schism whereby League came about. The ‘Establishment’ did everything it could to destroy the game. It was banned in the Armed Forces, grammar schools and Uni’s, but the sporting apartheid was eventually kicked in to touch when MP (Moana Pasifika)’s started giving the Union establishment a hard time and 1995 changed everything: the sham was over.
League players in England always had jobs because the win / lose bonuses never made anyone rich enough only to play the game. That only

kandos

Frank Nicholson (4)
No, French League would never be kicking arse because Union was always more popular and had a higher profile. League got a leg up in France when the Union team was booted out of the 5 Nations in the 30's, so many of its best players switched over to League and then switched back later.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It would seem the NRL have picked up a new team in their deal........

ScreenSho874_60.png

www.dailytelegraph.com.au

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
wouldnt be surprised if that was done deliberately just to muddy the water - News not happy: someone will suffer.
Mascord's solution: start a league TV channel - what was the number of the loss Ch 7 announced last week? The man is a genius.

T

Train Without a Station

Had to laugh at Danny Weidler's tripe today saying that 500,000 subscribe to Foxtel for NRL and then goes on to say the only games that draw less than 200,000 are the afternoon games which just so happen to be the only games they're left with.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No, French League would never be kicking arse because Union was always more popular and had a higher profile. League got a leg up in France when the Union team was booted out of the 5 Nations in the 30's, so many of its best players switched over to League and then switched back later.

I understand the details.

I'm just deploying my M-205 Sarcasm Grenades for the benefit of the intelligent part of the audience, and because it pleases me to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.