• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Surprised no one has posted this.
Using the link as it is said to be age sensitive - presumably you have to be under a certain mental age to do it:
youtu.be/1D6YJ3G4sWY

At least they're only doing damage to themselves, or their own reputations. In a lot of places in the U.S., after some sportsball team wins a big competition, people start riots and light shit on fire.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^Oops. Yeah, That one. :rolleyes: OP to be corrected, but The Honourable Julie Bishop probably thinks that as well.

A career at Fairfax Media beckons.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Are the media from the other code trying to distract the public from the thuggery that was seen in the UK Super league grand final by picking on Rugby?

Jezza

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm with the sports writer from the SMH.
After waiting for so long to see the Waratahs finally win the Super 10, 12, 15's, the stage was set for a great international season. What a miserable time be be a Wallaby supporter. Who is going to bother watching the Wallabies get smashed this week-end?
At a time when the other codes seem to be going from strength to strength, AFL and soccer are infiltrating the schools and winning over the mums, League is pouring money into junior development (and fighting back against AFL and soccer), rugby seems to be disappearing up its own fundament with parochial provincials pulling it in their own self serving amateurish state oriented direction. I'm sad to say it's not the League Media that is the issue, its the leather patches wearing tweed jacketed port swilling old boys who have hijacked rugby and continue to use it as their own private amateurish plaything. Until all the bumbling amateurs get a bit of professionalism about them and employ some decent management/marketing/media/coaching/etc etc etc...people, then they can all get stuffed. The fans and the sponsors are already voting with their feet, so unless the ARU heeds the warning signs, its only got a few years left to suck the rest of the blood out of the already dying carcass. The players are falling away, our depth is drying up, the other codes are pinching our players.
For goodness sake, having the Argies (no. 10) beat the Wallabies (no.4) is like having Ireland (no. 10) beat the Kangaroos (no.1). However, in rugby land this is going to get even worse unless the leather patch bridage do something drastic, and quick (which they wont).
So, respectfully to those who love the game, rather than rail against the conspiratorial "League Media", how about decrying the sad lack of any coherent, sensible, and energetic "Rugby Media"?

T

Train Without a Station

having the Argies (no. 10) beat the Wallabies (no.4) is like having Ireland (no. 10) beat the Kangaroos (no.1).

No. It's not. Argentina have consistently pushed the other TRC teams (SA & NZ). They also now player Australia twice every year. Ireland would play the Kangaroos once every 10 years.

In addition the 10th rated international rugby team is full of full-time professionals who play for their team every international season.

Ireland in League is full of part timers and discards who will go seasons without playing a test.

This is due to the fact that there are 3 serious test playing nations in League. There are 12 in Rugby.

They are in fact nothing alike.

Jezza

Bob McCowan (2)
Fair enough.
I'm still pissed off with the Wallabies potential and results. Chance of progressing through their pool at the RWC next year....?
Back to the thread topic though - it aint the League Media thats the enemy!

T

Train Without a Station

I agree and actually said as much a few pages back. The Rugby media is the biggest problem.

There's a lack of perception and understanding too. The Wallabies play a full season of 15 matches. This isn't a couple of mickey mouse fixtures like International league.

The Waratahs this year lost 4 games in total, 2 of these to the Force and the Blues. Teams that finished 8th and 9th. That's what happens over a long season. Upsets. It's only been since the 2011 World Cup that the All Blacks no longer lose 2-4 games per season.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm with the sports writer from the SMH.
After waiting for so long to see the Waratahs finally win the Super 10, 12, 15's, the stage was set for a great international season. What a miserable time be be a Wallaby supporter. Who is going to bother watching the Wallabies get smashed this week-end?
At a time when the other codes seem to be going from strength to strength, AFL and soccer are infiltrating the schools and winning over the mums, League is pouring money into junior development (and fighting back against AFL and soccer), rugby seems to be disappearing up its own fundament with parochial provincials pulling it in their own self serving amateurish state oriented direction. I'm sad to say it's not the League Media that is the issue, its the leather patches wearing tweed jacketed port swilling old boys who have hijacked rugby and continue to use it as their own private amateurish plaything. Until all the bumbling amateurs get a bit of professionalism about them and employ some decent management/marketing/media/coaching/etc etc etc.people, then they can all get stuffed. The fans and the sponsors are already voting with their feet, so unless the ARU heeds the warning signs, its only got a few years left to suck the rest of the blood out of the already dying carcass. The players are falling away, our depth is drying up, the other codes are pinching our players.
For goodness sake, having the Argies (no. 10) beat the Wallabies (no.4) is like having Ireland (no. 10) beat the Kangaroos (no.1). However, in rugby land this is going to get even worse unless the leather patch bridage do something drastic, and quick (which they wont).
So, respectfully to those who love the game, rather than rail against the conspiratorial "League Media", how about decrying the sad lack of any coherent, sensible, and energetic "Rugby Media"?
They argies were ranked 12th and wallabies 3rd before they beat us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)

I agree with a lot of what you said, but this is BS and suggests to me you don't know much about Rugby...

As TWAS pointed out, the Argentinians, despite their relatively low ranking, are far from easy beats and have a strong rugby tradition. The Springboks just beat the All Blacks in a thriller, but the Argies came within a few points of knocking them off in both matches they played against them this year and really should have taken at least one of those games.

No, in terms of upsets from a depth, resources and structural point of view, the Argies beating Australia is more like New Zealand beating England in League.

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah but it's the first time in 14 years dammit!

Lets just ignore we didn't play them for about 7 of those years.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
The Pumas well and truly should have won a game before this match against us, but the reality is we're were always odds on to be their first RC scalp... Their forwards destroyed us in what was a very troubling sign for the EOYT and they then showed a bit of nous in the backs - an area they have steadily improving on.

That's a problem for us, because if the Argies learn ball in hand rugby, then we better harden the fuck up up front, and fast... because we'll spend a few years just trying to avoid the wooden spoon if we don't

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah but it's the first time in 14 years dammit!

Lets just ignore we didn't play them for about 7 of those years.
I don't remember there being such an allowance for excuses when Samoa and Scotland happened. Should it be ok for Aus to lose to Argentina once every 14 years. When was the last time SA and NZ lost to Argentina?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.