• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The new Wallaby jersey

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This stuff isn't rocket science, most sporting organisations around the world recognise the money that can be made from mechandising and the away strip can be the bigger money maker. Kids will only buys so many yellow jerseys (or sky blue ones in the case of the Waratahs).

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
12002785_10153648872634806_946366160389887791_n.jpg

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe they thought having a wc jersey, wc alternate, wc fan jersey, wc training jersey, 2015 jersey, 2015 warm up top, 2015 warm-up shirt, 2015 training jersey, sevens home Jersey, sevens away jersey, 2015 training shirt in two colours, 2015 singlet, performance polo x 2, regular polo, multitudes of tshirts etc etc etc all the way including onesie(!) was enough merchandise for the moment.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, and the Springboks wore a white jersey against Argies. And the Pumas wore a blue jersey against Wallabies. It's just a marketing move, you don't need to wait to face Romania to wear an away jersey.

I mean, the rugby jerseys is a HUGE market around the world. The brands earn a lot of money, for that reason they make new jerseys every season. You can't get out ot that business. It's a low risk business

The ABs wear a white jersey with black shorts and black socks as their away jersey. It's equal, the same home shorts with the away jersey. In the case of Australia you can change the green socks by yellow socks. That will be attractive for League supporters because will be similar than the Kangaroos kit. Is the market to which the ARU should aim because the NRL supporters are very similar than the Union supporters. In fact I know many League supporters who support the Wallabies but don't support Super Rugby/NRC or whatever.

The AFL market is harder because Victoria is a different world, but among League supporters are many ex Union supporters or people who have an idea about Union.

The mungoes are a bit dumb, but they don't just go around buying green jerseys because it reminds them of the Kangaroos.........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Also, the Boks have an alternate jersey because they regularly play teams in the NH that clash..........

Same with the Argies and the AB's.............

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Maybe they thought having a wc jersey, wc alternate, wc fan jersey, wc training jersey, 2015 jersey, 2015 warm up top, 2015 warm-up shirt, 2015 training jersey, sevens home Jersey, sevens away jersey, 2015 training shirt in two colours, 2015 singlet, performance polo x 2, regular polo, multitudes of tshirts etc etc etc all the way including onesie(!) was enough merchandise for the moment.
If maximising merchandise sales is the objective,they should scrap almost that entire range.
How many 7's away jumpers you reckon they sell?
I actually tried to buy a 7's Jersey a year ago,and could not source one.
IF they had an away jersey that was used on a regular/ semi regular basis,I'm confident they would sell reasonably well.
Or at least as well as any jumper designed by the current mob could.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Also, the Boks have an alternate jersey because they regularly play teams in the NH that clash....

Same with the Argies and the AB's.....

But you're missing the point - a jersey clash isn't the reason that most successful sporting organisations have an alternate strip. It's for merchandise sales - you have your traditional strip which basically stays the same every year and then you have an alternate strip which changes slightly every year.

It could well be that alone in the world of sport, the ARU are right and everyone else is wrong..............;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If maximising merchandise sales is the objective,they should scrap almost that entire range.
How many 7's away jumpers you reckon they sell?
I actually tried to buy a 7's Jersey a year ago,and could not source one.
IF they had an away jersey that was used on a regular/ semi regular basis,I'm confident they would sell reasonably well.
Or at least as well as any jumper designed by the current mob could.

Fangear had 7s jerseys on sale - for a while anyway - not sure if they still do.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe they think that it wouldn't actually increase their revenue much and the items that do sell outside of the main Wallaby jersey are things like polo shirts etc. because more of the customer base is looking for something a bit smarter than a football jersey.

How many sales of away jerseys for other teams are a direct reduction in sales of the main home jersey versus additional sales?

It's impossible for us to tell.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As mentioned above, there's already a tonne of different Wallabies jerseys.......... so will an 'away' jersey really make significant sales when there are already a variety of different coloured training shirts, sevens shirts etc?

I'm sure there are marketing people within the ARU and Asics that have gone over this.............

But for all practical purposes, the Wallabies don't actually need an alternate jersey 3 out of every 4 years.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Maybe they think that it wouldn't actually increase their revenue much and the items that do sell outside of the main Wallaby jersey are things like polo shirts etc. because more of the customer base is looking for something a bit smarter than a football jersey.

How many sales of away jerseys for other teams are a direct reduction in sales of the main home jersey versus additional sales?

It's impossible for us to tell.

Depends who your market is though. If you're talking about middle-aged corporate types, they'll buy polo shirts etc. If you're talking about kids, they'll want jerseys and if a new one comes out next year they'll want it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A

But for all practical purposes, the Wallabies don't actually need an alternate jersey 3 out of every 4 years.

Depends on what you define as need. If one defines it as you seem to, then it's only when there is a clash of strip. This was once the case, but isn't the prime driver of the alternate strip in the 21st century - it's the need for money from merchandise. Even the Waratahs have worked it out.

As but one example, Arsenal's colours are red and white. If the FA cup final they played Aston Villa who play in blue and cerise, but Arsenal wore their alternate yellow strip in the final - nothing to do with a clash of strip. In fact in professional soccer, the away team wears their alternate strip at all away games regardless of the jerseys clashing.
gun__1433018399_winners.jpg

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Depends on what you define as need. If one defines it as you seem to, then it's only when there is a clash of strip. This was once the case, but isn't the prime driver of the alternate strip in the 21st century - it's the need for money from merchandise. Even the Waratahs have worked it out.

As but one example, Arsenal's colours are red and white. If the FA cup final they played Aston Villa who play in blue and cerise, but Arsenal wore their alternate yellow strip in the final - nothing to do with a clash of strip. In fact in professional soccer, the away team wears their alternate strip at all away games regardless of the jerseys clashing.

Pretty sure most of the big name soccer teams have 2 away strips in case they do clash! My source is FIFA 15 on xbox.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
I only ever buy a new jersey in RWC years as they have no sponsorship ruining the front of the jersey. I'd never buy a white jersey as it's just an England jersey with our coat of arms instead of a rose.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Pretty sure most of the big name soccer teams have 2 away strips in case they do clash! My source is FIFA 15 on xbox.

That's right. If the alternate jersey marketing idea was some sort of mad scheme that an anonymous poster like me came out with on an internet site, I'd understand the scepticism of some. However, it's world best practice sports merchandising.

T

TOCC

Arsenal aren't a national team wearing the national colours though..

Romania, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, Samoa, USA, Canada, South Africa and Scotland are all RWC2015 teams who have a predominately white alternate jersey.

Fiji, England, Japan and Argentina went a darker alternative jersey given their original jerseys are either white or light coloured.

Wales and Ireland went with a black alternate jersey whilst Namibia and France went with Red.