• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The new Wallaby jersey

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh, I get it now.........

Asics hired Yoko Ono to design their 2015 stock:

20130326_Yoko-2.jpg

Wait until you see the shorts:

openingceremony-06.jpg

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Maybe the cricket ODI look is to help us win a WC.

Hahaha I like your thinking! The Cricket team managed to win world cups wearing some of the uggliest shit imaginable over the years.

Perhaps this is all some clever ploy from ASICS and the ARU - they've intentionally made it look like a women's soccer shirt so other team's don't take us seriously. Advantage Wallabies!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's a pretty ordinary looking outfit, that's for sure. I particularly dislike the green pattern on the sleeve. My favourite has always been the early to mid 90's jersey we saw upthread. With that said, I don't expect them to always look like that, even though the All Blacks have taken their classic strip and made a whole brand out of it (good on them for that). Of the jerseys in the last decade, I would say the one worn in around 2006 (as shown below) is the best of the bunch. It's a darker shade of yellow/gold too, which I think is key.

australia-wallabies-home-rugby-shirt-2005-to-2007-s_2933_1.jpg

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I know I've said this before, but these ASICS designs really do make me think of Classic's NSW Origin jerseys. Comparing them with the jerseys of the Waratahs is a study in why less is more with these sorts of designs.

38134-nsw-blues-2015-mens-premium-jersey-2000.jpg
v
34657-waratahs-2015-mens-official-home-jersey-2000.jpg

Canterbury have finally cotten on that that Sky Blue means Sky Blue and so they've gone with just that and it looks fucking awesome. Meanwhile, classic have jammed side panels, navy piping and some weird fucking bib for their logo to create an incoherent mess that is embarrassing to wear.

Perhaps ASICS and Classic employ the same designer?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
2015 ARU Jersey Design Initiative

"Hello, I am Colgate Forbes-Hamilton and I was the lead designer on the 2015 ARU jersey design initiative as tabled by the ARU with a working budget of $220,000.

tarquin_zpsi8cqmiwe.jpg

Me, Colgate, in casual repose, with
the light coming from the right.

Let me walk you through the "Designer Process" as we in the haute couture world refer to it.

ausjersey_zps92gfaj2d.jpg

First, I popped in a rugby dvd to watch the boys in action. We designers like to get a feel for our products prior to presenting the design initiative. We do work fast though, in fact after 3 minutes I had all the information needed to detail the design initiative.

Firstly, the green shoulder insignia representation is twofold;

* a representation of the islander heritage so prominent in our team selection.
* symbolification of the full shoulder tattoo which our urban chic demagraphication representative survey revealed that 74% of male 20-29 year old's in fact do have. This emblemism has been psychologically stratified with the age cohort that will don the jersey.

Next we presented hand panel adhesivations to the abdominal area to aid in dance coordination synchronicity for when the Australian team perform their world famous haka prior to test matches just a minute I have a call on the other line oh shit this is not goo

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I AM SURE that a Kiwi designer is secretly behind this obvious attempt to undermine the calibre of the Wallaby brand in the eyes of the Australian sports-loving public.

The ultimate objective though is negative Wallaby on-field performance in RWC 2015. By way of 'jersey undermining'. The strategy was set by a leading Dunedin-based decorative arts psychologist. This sly engagement by ASICS escaped the ARU's jersey budget cost analysts who otherwise slaved all year over this crucial Wallaby project.

The 'undermining by design' equivalent of 2011's mass-culture-driven attempt to turn QC (Quade Cooper) to jelly from Minute 1 of any and all encounters with the ABs.

They could succeed a second time.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I AM SURE that a Kiwi designer is secretly behind this obvious attempt to undermine the calibre of the Wallaby brand in the eyes of the Australian sports-loving public.

Probably an NRL infiltrator, then. They have more to gain

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Maillot Rugby - I mean En Mode Rugby -have pulled their pics down now. ASICS probably not real impressed with the jersey leaking.

But they're going to need to come up with a bloody good sales pitch to shift that. Hoping they have a "traditional" version with a proper collar and no bedazzling that looks nicer.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
They have 8 of those adhesive fingers on each side of the bodice, obviously one for each state and territory, really symbolic of our nationhood and building on the tradition of inclusiveness in Rugby. To me they represent "mateship". That they have them on both sides is an issue. The designers are obviously appealing to women by representing their gender in the mateship fingers (men on one side women on the other as in any cultural meeting Australians have like BBQ's). No chick I know likes being called mate so the jury is out on how they'll like it (not like I'd listen to their clucking about it anyway).

Love the green shoulder, just wish we had more arms so they could accommodate more of them.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Looks worse in real lifeView attachment 6412
I hope the material is not that stretchy shit, I want a shirt that can last for years. It looks similar to Rash Vest material.

I still wear my 2003 long sleeve jersey and my 2011 is still going strong. Make it to last please!

I am assuming the waves are the new equivalent of the sticky bra shit that was meant to aid in gripping the ball.

One thing I would like is a shoulder panel for the outside shoulder of the props that is hard to grip by the opposition. This will help get penalties.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
If those bedazzlers are silicon grip things for hanging onto the ball, then I am 100% all for them and don't care what pattern or appearance they give.

Any advantage within the rules is fair game and plenty of teams seem to have them these days in various forms.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
If those bedazzlers are silicon grip things for hanging onto the ball, then I am 100% all for them and don't care what pattern or appearance they give.

Any advantage within the rules is fair game and plenty of teams seem to have them these days in various forms.

If it is purely functional then perhaps more bedazzling could be a good thing. In golf ball technology the number size and arrangement of the dimples are paramount. This would be the same.