• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Female triathlon- Erin Densham has a red hot chance.
Mens 4- Will be a match race vs the Brits, they edged us in the semi though
Kim Crow- Female sculler, outside chance at gold

Those three all race tomorrow I think. How are our cyclists looking? Other than that it's Pearson and Watt in the athletics, our BMXers and then the team sports.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Kim Crow has looked good this week I reckon. The cyclists only have to do a bit better than Beijing and we'll look OK there. Surely we'll improve on 1 medal only from last time. Form from the world champs this year in Melbourne has been pretty good for our riders.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rowing: The Bloody Darkness have just scored a Gold in the Mens Pairs. That makes it 2 Golds for them and only 1 for the Good Guys, with the Darkness ahead of us on the overall medal table.

I hope they enjoy it while they can, cause they won't be there for too long.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy for them but it hasn't stopped that sick feeling that's come over me reading your post.

Just watching the Opals game. Their old skin-tight uniforms used to look better on the players than it now does on that chubby bloke in the stands.

I'm glad I didn't see that guy. I'm happy they ditched the skin tight uniforms & went traditional again.

So ladies and gents, where is our next gold coming from? I'm battling to work out where at the minute!

My picks are:

Mitchell Watt in the long jump has a real chance to grab Gold but he's been running a lot of faults recently, if he clears that up he has a jump that can def win Gold.

Hooker in the Pole Volt, on form not likely but has the scores to show he can if he gets it together - long shot.

Anna Meares in the track cycling. Still a few events to go. Victoria has had her measure so far but Anna is gritty as hell & def could get a Gold.

Matthew Mitcham in the diving, you know when you can beat the Chinese in diving you've got a fair bit going for you. I reckon he can back it up.

Sal Pearson, like I said I'm scared shitless for her but she does have a genuine chance at Gold. I hope her look of being scared is just as normal as my ultra pale skin which often makes people ask me if I'm ill.

I haven't checked every event but those are the ones that come to mind. TBH I think getting touched up at these games might just be the right kind of attitude re-adjustment we need. Suzie O'Neills comments on the lack of work ethic in the swim team is dead on across the board - not just swimming. You can see it in our attitude. The only funding we should go into after these games is for world class sports psychologists.

I'd love to see our track & field rise over time to take over swimming when it comes to medals, I reckon that sort of internal competition would be healthy. I know if I was a track/field member, given all the publicity the swimmers get I'd be keen to compete with them. Won't happen this time but I can see it happening in the future.

Just saw the other posts:

I did not know about Kim Crow. Forgot about Erin Densham, yes, def add her to the list of probables.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I haven't checked every event but those are the ones that come to mind. TBH I think getting touched up at these games might just be the right kind of attitude re-adjustment we need. Suzie O'Neills comments on the lack of work ethic in the swim team is dead on across the board - not just swimming. You can see it in our attitude. The only funding we should go into after these games is for world class sports psychologists.

Dead right Susie is too and let's face it she's well qualified to talk.

Agree with your assessment of Watt and Pearson. Both massive chances. I'm hoping like hell Stevie Hooker pulls through but he's got a massive mountain to climb against himself. Forget about the other blokes.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ch Nein are utter spankers. Right in the middle of the women's keirin and we've got Meares v Pendleton, one of the great rivalries in Olympic sport. Awesome so far right? They cut to an ad and then to an interview with William and Harry. You. Have. Got. To. Be. Joking.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
By accident I switched to the trampolining last night and was immediately fascinated by the skills and courage of these guys. Four of the 16 competitors wiped out and another 4 had very close shaves from heights equivalent to a 3 storey building. The young Aussie was looking good until he lost control and landed 5 metres from the trampoline. Oops.

I believe that Sally Pearson is our best chance of another gold. Her coach and the QIS biomechanics department have developed her into the best technical hurdler in the world. For the last 2 years she has been working on attacking the hurdle a little higher with a bent front leg. The philosophy of this is that the landing step is aided by the power of the bent leg which prevents the loss of momentum many hurdlers suffer on landing. It has worked and this is why she looks so smooth and nimble during her races and it is the reason she should win gold.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
FWIW, my definition of James Magnussen is that he's a great athlete/competitor/swimmer from the shoulders down, and very ordinary above the shoulders! He needs "better people" around him. Compare his silver to Jessica Fox, who most of us hadn't heard of (as she wasn't starring in TV commercials, or flexing her muscles after telling us what she would do in London).
She "just did it"!!

I think when our Olympic officials analyise our performances in the next 6 months the results will be 'Social Media' (Facebook/Twitter/etc) first, Australia second. I hope this disease doesn't infect our amazing Paralympians!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Dani Samuels produced a career best discus throw to qualify for the finals. Even if she doesnt win it is nice to see one of our althetes actualy pull out a big effort when it counts. Hopefully she can do the same in the final.

Leigh Nugent is blaming our 'easy life', what about mismanagement? What about no psychologist? The article below shows both.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/olympic...d-for-medal-dive/story-fn5k3iok-1226442766416

Probably dumb statement of the year in this article:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/olympic...ing-than-cycling/story-fn5k3iok-1226442766762

Olympic bloody boxing screwing people over again:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/olympic...udging-decisions/story-fn5k3iok-1226442743706

Interesting article on Muslim women competing at the games:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/olympic...ore-than-winning/story-fn5k3iok-1226442722256

South African swimming admits cheating apparently:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/olympic...-to-olympic-gold/story-fnd7zlue-1226442628362

Ugly Poms:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/olympic...ted-at-velodrome/story-fnd7zhks-1226442611889

I'm proud of all our teams efforts but if the trend continues we are really going to suck big time at this Olympics.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
AS, I agree re Dani Samuels, who also didn't tell the world what she was going to do. Loved some of the comments by people responding to the first link you posted! Maybe our performance reflects the performance of our Federal pollies?! Did I hear that this was our worst-funded Olympics team ever, yet economic basket-cases like France and Spain are excelling!
I'm looking forward to our friend Ken Wallace competing in K2 1000m and K2 200m from Monday night around 8pm, (he won gold and bronze in Beijing), and tonight's highlight will be Kim Crow in women's single skulls, go K and K!
Don Talbot's comments in The Australian today re head coach Nugent being too soft are probably spot on! In Rio we may even have some "mind coaches", as many of our young 'stars' have trouble allocating their priorities, eg: Emily Seebohm tweeting today that she hopes to get to 10,000 'followers' (according to ABC Grandstand)!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
A little bit too much social media and not enough knuckling down perhaps? The distractions are there I'm sure, but surely at a big meet like this you'd have your head 100% in it?

I was a bit dismayed to hear an interview with Leisel Jones after her individual event saying that this games was all about having fun and enjoying the atmosphere (I'm paraphrasing). Fair enough, but it didn't sound like she had that real competitive fire burning in her like Olympics past. I guess you wouldn't after winning all she has over the years, but why be there if your heart's not in it? It's not a holiday.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Just watched the replay of some of the athletics from last night and two good performances from Aussies in the women's discus and men's 400 hurdles. Brendan Cole ran a PB and looked great. That's what I like to see: an athlete going to a major championship and going quicker than ever. Dani Samuels left it to the last moment but she's in the final. That Cuban chick is going to be tough to beat though.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
A little bit too much social media and not enough knuckling down perhaps? The distractions are there I'm sure, but surely at a big meet like this you'd have your head 100% in it?

I was a bit dismayed to hear an interview with Leisel Jones after her individual event saying that this games was all about having fun and enjoying the atmosphere (I'm paraphrasing). Fair enough, but it didn't sound like she had that real competitive fire burning in her like Olympics past. I guess you wouldn't after winning all she has over the years, but why be there if your heart's not in it? It's not a holiday.
Maybe she swims better when she's relaxed.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
After 3 years in Australia, I'm not getting the same joy I might once have had with the knowledge the NZ has 3 Golds to Australia's 1.

Times they are a-changing I guess.......

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I can see through Liesel Jones' comments like grandmas undies. Leisel is not a "la-di-da, it is all about the fun & atmosphere" type of person. She is a dead set pit bull - I say that as a compliment. I'm guessing here but I'm sure deep down she's actually annoyed with her & the swim teams performance but remember back in the day when she actually wore her heart on her sleeve & expressed how genuinely disappointed she was not to win? A lot of people labelled her as having an attitude problem, for me I call BS. I think she was convinced by those around her to change - which is crap, not everyone is the same type of competitor & people should understand that. I'd rather see one of our athletes be pissed off & demanding more rather than just accepting it. Sure if you medal less than Gold or don't even get a medal then there are limits to dummy spits but damn I'd prefer someone going off their tit in disappointment rather than 'oh well, this is the Olympics, yay!'.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
After 3 years in Australia, I'm not getting the same joy I might once have had with the knowledge the NZ has 3 Golds to Australia's 1.

Times they are a-changing I guess...

Lol, you're getting soft Bullrush :D

I love the joke my mate Kenny (a fellow Wallaby & Crusader supporter) put up on Facebook today, maybe you guys have heard it:

We woulda done better in the rowing but Tony Abbott was running along the bank yelling, "Stop The Boats" "Stop The Boats"

Status
Not open for further replies.