• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
HJ, just watch the Ch 9 telecast for 1/2 hour. It is completely the opposite. anyone who doesn't drown in their heat is an all time legend.
On the foxtel channels they are more like cheerleaders than commentators.
I don't think they are lacking support.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Our problem is our national arrogance. When one of our athletes faisl to get gold, we can not firstly give full credit to the winning athlete, and we make the Australian athlete feel like a failure.

The reality is we should rejoice that they even got to London in the first place. In terms of who has let the country down, how about the 22 million of us sitting at home who have not got off our backsides to train and make the necessary sacrifices to qualify. At best most of us will establish a PB in TV watching.

Pretty much what the cynical Pommy press does to its sportsmen/women most of the time when they fail or don't live up to the hype. It is disturbing that we seem to be going down the same path.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Our expectations are probably too high. We pour a pretty substantial amount of money into the Olympics and then are shocked when we find out that other countries are pretty good too. This week has probably been pretty chastening for our swimmers, I would suggest.

I personally think that the approach that the UK took at the last games was the right one: target the sports that we do well at and get behind them. We have a very large team when you consider our population and a lot of them are not going to be world beaters.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Our expectations are probably too high. We pour a pretty substantial amount of money into the Olympics and then are shocked when we find out that other countries are pretty good too. This week has probably been pretty chastening for our swimmers, I would suggest.

I personally think that the approach that the UK took at the last games was the right one: target the sports that we do well at and get behind them. We have a very large team when you consider our population and a lot of them are not going to be world beaters.

I don't entirely agree with that idea. Look at track & field, we've never been as good there as we are at swimming but I don't think that means we should back off & not try to compete. I don't think we can just rely on what we are normally good at, we need other sports to pull through when the ones we normally do well in have a bit of a hard spell - like swimming is now.

Standing by for Anna Meares & Kaarle McCulloch v Victoria Pendleton & Jessica Varnish. Could possibily be the first punch up at an indoor cycle track event. Can't wait ;)

I think the home crowd will get Vic home over Meares but I'm hoping Meares proves me wrong & wins naturally.

F**k round 1 goes to Victoria.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Our problem is our national arrogance. When one of our athletes faisl to get gold, we can not firstly give full credit to the winning athlete, and we make the Australian athlete feel like a failure.

The reality is we should rejoice that they even got to London in the first place. In terms of who has let the country down, how about the 22 million of us sitting at home who have not got off our backsides to train and make the necessary sacrifices to qualify. At best most of us will establish a PB in TV watching.

This post annoys me. For two reasons.

1. The first paragraph is just plain false, except for a few isolated cases- the relay, Magnesson and Seebohm. Those three were world champs, qualified fastest and were seen as a lock for gold. On top of that Magnesson was also shooting his mouth off before the games about how he was the best. They failed in their own eyes. I don't think anyone here would call them failures, but I don't think it's unfair to say their performance was disappointing considering what we know they are capable of.

But every other minor medal won since then has been greeted very warmly indeed. The rowers, the kayaker last night, someone like the breaststroker Stoeckel etc. etc. Everyone is very happy for their success, and the word failure isn't seen within 1000 miles.

2. I hate this argument, it has a distinct Burke flavour about it- "you couldn't do it, therefore shouldn't criticise". No, I couldn't swim 100m faster than Magnusson. But I am well within my rights to say that knowing what he was capable of doing, and what he SAID he was capable of doing, he should have done better. I am not saying that I could go faster, just saying he could have done better. I applaud his commitment and athleticism though.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't entirely agree with that idea. Look at track & field, we've never been as good there as we are at swimming but I don't think that means we should back off & not try to compete. I don't think we can just rely on what we are normally good at, we need other sports to pull through when the ones we normally do well in have a bit of a hard spell - like swimming is now.

Athletics is actually a really good example of what I'm talking about. I was involved in the sport for a good while and let me tell you, a bigger bunch of mediocre prima donnas you'll never see in your life. This is especially true among the sprinters (my area of expertise). If half of them worked as hard as they talked themselves up they'd be world beaters. We need to set much tougher standards in that sport, rather like we did in swimming. Guys like John Steffenson are a classic example. That bloke is all show and no go. If I had my way, him and the other blokes like him wouldn't be going to the games at all.

For me it's not about writing off the sport, more about individual events within the sports. The qualifying standards need to be set higher and these guys need to compete more. Also, running a qualifier once and then not producing it at nationals isn't enough. We should be absolutely ruthless at the selection table. All the other major countries are and they are who we compete against.

The resources for our Olympic tilt aren't unlimited, so we need to prioritise I believe.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
But I am well within my rights to say that knowing what he was capable of doing, and what he SAID he was capable of doing, he should have done better. I am not saying that I could go faster, just saying he could have done better. I applaud his commitment and athleticism though.
I don't think he should have done better,but we all know he COULD have done better.
Maybe I am showing my age, but I have always believed in under promising and over delivering.Maybe if he had his time over, he might not have been so bullish on the result.
No one has ever won a gold medal in the press room after a heat.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I reckon the American ethos of complete self-belief works better (but not faultlessly) for Americans. I reckon for everyone else, the more you shout "I'm the best, I'm going to win", the more you have little doubts in your mind going "maybe I'm not."

I still haven't seen any system better than "I'm going to do my best, let's see what happens."

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Athletics is actually a really good example of what I'm talking about. I was involved in the sport for a good while and let me tell you, a bigger bunch of mediocre prima donnas you'll never see in your life. This is especially true among the sprinters (my area of expertise). If half of them worked as hard as they talked themselves up they'd be world beaters. We need to set much tougher standards in that sport, rather like we did in swimming. Guys like John Steffenson are a classic example. That bloke is all show and no go. If I had my way, him and the other blokes like him wouldn't be going to the games at all.

For me it's not about writing off the sport, more about individual events within the sports. The qualifying standards need to be set higher and these guys need to compete more. Also, running a qualifier once and then not producing it at nationals isn't enough. We should be absolutely ruthless at the selection table. All the other major countries are and they are who we compete against.

The resources for our Olympic tilt aren't unlimited, so we need to prioritise I believe.

I totally disagree TBH. Obviously all A qualifiers should go and compete. But I also believe that if you are the best at your event in Australia and you get a B qualifier you should compete as well.

WADA announced before the start of the Olympics that 10% of the 12,000 athletes would be doped up. That averages up to about 4 cheats for each of the 303 gold medals up for grabs. The 'super human' results these guys produce determine the cut off for the A and B qualifiers, so in a country where ASADA is vigilant and proactive, Australian athletes are often left out or have to decide to go down doping pathway. If you read the Dr Exum report, the BALCo expose and realise that Jamaica, home to the current great sprinters, doesn't have drug testing at all, you will understand why Aussie sprinters don't feature in medal calculations.

If Australia can reward and praise our national champions irrespective of what other nations choose to do, then we will have a healthier sporting arena that is focussed participation and not medal counts.

The athlete that comes to mind is Tamsyn Manou(Lewis). She has competed in international athletics for 18 years, won 3 world championship medals(G,S,B), 3 gold Com. Games medals and 17 Australian Championships. What a role model, yet despite a B qualifier, she was not taken to London. You can have your gold winning Michelle Smiths, Misty Hymans and Ye Shiwens who do 5 second PBs and then disappear in a cloud of suspicion. Give me a team of Manous instead.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If we have a team of Manou's then we are accepting a level of mediocrity. She is one of the athletes I think of when I shake my head at the amount drama queens we have in athletics in Australia. Her old sparring partner Jana Pittman is another, but at least she's been world champion a couple of times. A lot of our track and field athletes do well at world juniors level and then cannot make the step up into the big leagues. That is not all related to doping. We've still produced Sally Pearson, who I presume is not on the gear.

I'm not so naive to believe that doping isn't prevalent in athletics, in fact after cycling I would say that it's the sport with the biggest drugs problem. I would be focusing on either getting drugs cheats out of the sport or making it open slather. I knew most people (including myself) would prefer the former. All we can do in Australia is to run a clean programme and push others to do the same.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
If we have a team of Manou's then we are accepting a level of mediocrity. She is one of the athletes I think of when I shake my head at the amount drama queens we have in athletics in Australia. Her old sparring partner Jana Pittman is another, but at least she's been world champion a couple of times. A lot of our track and field athletes do well at world juniors level and then cannot make the step up into the big leagues. That is not all related to doping. We've still produced Sally Pearson, who I presume is not on the gear.

I'm not so naive to believe that doping isn't prevalent in athletics, in fact after cycling I would say that it's the sport with the biggest drugs problem. I would be focusing on either getting drugs cheats out of the sport or making it open slather. I knew most people (including myself) would prefer the former. All we can do in Australia is to run a clean programme and push others to do the same.

Manou Mediocre?

Best in the world Once.
2nd best in the world once.
3rd best in the world once.
Best in the Commonwealth 3 times.
Best in Australia 17 times.

FFS, you must be good in your profession to make that call.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Manou Mediocre?

Best in the world Once.
2nd best in the world once.
3rd best in the world once.
Best in the Commonwealth 3 times.
Best in Australia 17 times.

FFS, you must be good in your profession to make that call.

Medal record​
Women's athletics
Competitor for
22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
Australia

World Indoor Championships
Gold Valencia 2008 800 metres
Silver Maebashi 1999 4x400 m relay
Commonwealth Games
Gold Kuala Lumpur 1998 4x400 m relay
Gold Manchester 2002 4x400 m relay
Gold Melbourne 2006 4x400 m relay
World Junior Championships
Bronze Sydney 1996 4x400 m relay

One medal in an individual event in her career. At that time I thought she had taken the next step, but it hasn't really happened that way.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Medal record
Women's athletics
Competitor for
22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
Australia

One medal in an individual event in her career. At that time I thought she had taken the next step, but it hasn't really happened that way.

Being a World Champion is not mediocre. Neither is 17 individual National Championships.

How would you rate Thorpe's relay medals, as they amount to 4 of his 9 olympic tally.

Status
Not open for further replies.