• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Mens road race is shaping up nicely. O'Grady and 11 others have smashed on a 3 minute jump on the peleton. Only 200kms to go...

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
RE: Opening Ceremony - very amused to see Her Majesty picking at her fingernails when they panned to her as Team GB entered the stadium. Probably way past her bedtime.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Steph Rice just dragged her arse across the line in the 400m (medley? I think it is). Phelps only just got in too for the mens. The defending champ of the mens 400m, a Korean whose name eludes me just got disqualified. Can't imagine it - 4yrs of training down the crapper just like that.

Mens rowing, we beat & knocked out NZ in order to qualify :p

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I got up to put the boy to bed and now the road race has lost me. Did GB and the Germans catch the breakaway?

I've been trying to keep up with all the events but I'm lost as to where the Cycling is at. Hope someone out there can answer that, I'd like to know what happened there myself.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Still a breakaway, one dropped out of it. Mick Rogers has broken from the peloton and chasing down the breakaway. About halfway between.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I actually thought the OC was fucking excellent. As for narrative I think it was probably the strongest OC I can think on that front - I mean it plotted GBs history and how it built it's place in the world. Is that not narrative?

Also just fucking spectacular I thought.

Arctic Monkeys was an interesting one I agree, but I think our reactions as 40+ year olds probably meant they got it about right.

Oh, and any ceremony that generates this picture of a German head of state giving this salute (check out Camilla and Boris behind) can't be all bad

Photo 27-07-2012 23 38 40.jpg

Fucking loved the cycling result, if only Rog had got across on his attack. Saw them go out and come back in from the bottom of my road and around the corner in Richmond Park

Photo 28-07-2012 10 21 31.jpg

End of day 1 - Aus 1 gold, Poms 0

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Great 1st day.

Loved the Road race. Mr Doug's LRJ impregnated with anti-Soap Dodger jinx worked a treat against the Poms, but still some fine tuning needed 'cause S O'G only got 5th.

Awesome performance and leadership during the breakaway by S O'G. Man of the Match performance to him.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Foxtel are owning this, 8 channels is a thing of beauty. Always something on.

I wish I could get Foxtel. I am stuck with Channel Nein. Which means the Olympics is on but I've seen maybe 20 minutes of actual sport outside the road race. Its surreal.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I actually thought the OC was fucking excellent. As for narrative I think it was probably the strongest OC I can think on that front - I mean it plotted GBs history and how it built it's place in the world. Is that not narrative?

This, and then that, and then this, and then that, isn't narrative, it's a list. You need to tell a story.

CAs I was watching it, my mate and I were bagging the crap out of it (after loving Beijing) and I fully expected to read about the disaster in the papers. Turns out everyone loved it, so what do I know?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
This, and then that, and then this, and then that, isn't narrative, it's a list.

I think if you really wanted to, you could break any story down like that?

I'll admit though it probably had more meaning to poms (and those stuck in close proximity for so long)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Overcast and light rain on the women's Road Race.

Could be some bingles on the downhill stretches of Box Hill.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Noticed the placement of Coke bottles at ALL of the Olympic press interviews and TV camera opps?
They're smart buggers Coke, as even though the bottle caps are on, they are now taking some of the Cola out to give you the impression that someone (like the athletes), have been drinking out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.