• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just saw the Opals win a scrappy game against Brazil. Not looking good enough to challenge the US at the moment. They've been runners up quite a few times, really want them to go all the way. Thank god for Jackson.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't think the Opals will be good enough to win gold. A medal of another colour perhaps, but not gold.

Unfortunately you are probably right going by how they are at the moment. I really don't want them to get a silver to the US yet again but it may well happen.

Meanwhile in the swimming James Magnussen has learnt the hard way not to be too confident. Cocky doesn't tend to work well for us, playing yourself down is better. He reckons he won't change anything & he has to say that really because admitting he was a bit wrong in his approach now would be more humiliating. Good on him getting silver, I like the bloke but I was worried about his attitude a little before going into the games. Going into Athletics (can't wait for this) I have the same fear for Sally Pearson against that Yank who oozes genuine confidence. Hope that nightmare does not come to pass.

Angie Bainbridge from Newcastle gained a silver from the latest relay. Not sure if Newcastle (Merewethers) Fraser-Holmes did as well in one of the mens relays.

Below is a photo gallery from the Newcastle Herald which shows the Olympians competing for AUS who are from the Newcastle/Hunter area. I have to say I had no idea these people were from my neck of the woods. Probably because I don't normally follow their sports outside of the Olympics.

http://www.theherald.com.au/multimedia/43901/hunter-olympians-in-action-at-london.aspx

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I am correct in thinking that they greatly reduced funding to olympic athletes in repsonse to the (Coates ?) review after the Beijing Olympics.

Looks like we are reaping the rewards, or lack thereof.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Is there a better coach in Australian sport than Ric Charlesworth?
He has successfully coached hockey & cricket, mens and womens teams, here in Australia & Overseas.
His teams always have superb fitness levels, great skills and tons of mental toughness.
A qualified Doctor, and former member of parliament, he's a high achiever and great Australian too.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah great stuff by the Kiwi boat, came from way back.

There is a decent chance that at the end of tomorrow the gold medal count will read- NZ 3, Aus 1. Cue press feeding frenzy and national weeping and gnashing of teeth.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
MEN'S DOUBLE SCULLS = NZ FIRST GOLD!!! MEAN RACE!

Linda Melanie Villumsen was really close to getting the first NZ Gold the other day in the women's individual time trial. She got 4th, came very close, she just dropped off the pace right at the end.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am correct in thinking that they greatly reduced funding to olympic athletes in repsonse to the (Coates ?) review after the Beijing Olympics.

Looks like we are reaping the rewards, or lack thereof.

Maybe.

But look at the sort of dust bowl set up the Jamaican sprinters have yet they turn it on against the USA who have by comparison bucket loads of cash for their track & field. Lack of money isn't always the reason for poor form.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How many Jamaicans are not professionals earning $$ on the circuit.
I doubt any are domiciled and train full time in Jamaica

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
How many Jamaicans are not professionals earning $$ on the circuit.
I doubt any are domiciled and train full time in Jamaica

I'd like to know those details myself.

Below is a small article I found which talks about some of the Sprinting facilities in Jamaica - in particular a place that has produced many of Jamaica's best sprinters. Gives a good description of what I mean by not being too flashy at all in terms of facilities but still getting great results.

They may end up being pro & going overseas to train but it is where they start that I believe may make a difference. Tough surroundings tend to breed a tougher competitor.

http://keithbirdagency.com/category/spartan-and-simple-facilities/

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Is there a better coach in Australian sport than Ric Charlesworth?
He has successfully coached hockey & cricket, mens and womens teams, here in Australia & Overseas.
His teams always have superb fitness levels, great skills and tons of mental toughness.
A qualified Doctor, and former member of parliament, he's a high achiever and great Australian too.

A great coach across several sports, eh? Wonder of he's up for a real challenge in Sydney after his return from London...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SA get their third gold!

In the Olympics medal table for the Tri-Nations, the Saffers are in 8th overall place with 3 golds, Australia is in 15th place with 1G, 6S, 2B, and the Darkness are uncomfortably close in 19th with 1G, 2B.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
In the Olympics medal table for the Tri-Nations, the Saffers are in 8th overall place with 3 golds, Australia is in 15th place with 1G, 6S, 2B, and the Darkness are uncomfortably close in 19th with 1G, 2B.
To be honest, us Saffers expect none. That two swimmers made some real headlines with their gold medals over here, specially that le Kots kid. He just may nick a few more.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Our problem is our national arrogance. When one of our athletes faisl to get gold, we can not firstly give full credit to the winning athlete, and we make the Australian athlete feel like a failure.

The reality is we should rejoice that they even got to London in the first place. In terms of who has let the country down, how about the 22 million of us sitting at home who have not got off our backsides to train and make the necessary sacrifices to qualify. At best most of us will establish a PB in TV watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.