• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
hmmm, was just readin' about Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of the modern olympics. Seems he was so impressed with the game of rugby at the rugby school in the 1880's, with the way it was organised and played, he was inspired to create the olympics. (In a nutshell). And the rest is history.

Without rugby, there would be no olympics.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
hmmm, was just readin' about Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of the modern olympics. Seems he was so impressed with the game of rugby at the rugby school in the 1880's, with the way it was organised and played, he was inspired to create the olympics. (In a nutshell). And the rest is history.

Without rugby, there would be no olympics.
Mmmmmm, maybe no Modern Olympics, but the Greeks had a bit of a crack at the Olympic concept a few years earlier.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Our mens hockey team made short work of SA.

I think we had a heat win in women's badminton.

Currently watching one of my fav events - Equestrian Cross Country.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
There's also some encouraging stuff from the rowing - the men's four in particular look outstanding, some of the best rowing I've ever seen. They just set a new olympic record in their heat. The Brits, however, are looking good and are defending world and olympic champions and were only a few seconds slower in their heat, which they cruised home in. It will be a case of technique vs power, which the Brits have in spades. Don't miss the final, Saturday night Australian time. Our mens 4 beating the Brits' flagship boat on their home water in an event they like to call their own would be just massive.
The women's double scull will also be a massive race, between us and the Brits. The Brits are favourites but we are in with a good chance. That race will be Friday night Australian time I think.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I hear they now call Nick Darcy "The Heathrow Express".

Nice nickname I havent heard that one.

Cook & Hinchley are out of the Beach volleyball but we still have another womens pair in contention.

Aussie team had a shocker in the equestrian CC but we are still in with a chance for individual gold. A couple of people went to hospital after falls, no serious horse injuries. Queens Granddaughter Zara Phillips did very well & is up there for a medal.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I'm loving the women's beach volleyball, AS. Also the women's volleyball and women's hockey. I may be developing unhealthy fascination with long socks.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Le Clos beats Phelps in the 200m butterfly. The guy clearly couldn't believe. Great to see two SA golds. Unexpected. Phelps botched that one though. Terrible timing at the end.

Anyone else enjoy the weightlifting? It's bloody brilliant.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Highlight must be Belinda Snell from the Opals Basketball team.

I saw the miracle shot "live" on Foxtel. How awesome was that?

019241-belinda-snell.jpg

Source: Getty Images

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm loving the women's beach volleyball, AS. Also the women's volleyball and women's hockey. I may be developing unhealthy fascination with long socks.

It is a shame we don't appear to be as competitive in the beach volleyball this time or with the Equestrian. How about the British press talking about Zara Phillips horse costing her Gold by taking a dump at the wrong time. Clutching at straws surely! She did go very well however. After Aus I follow Ireland & Germany so I was happy to see the Germans take equestrian team Gold & individual Gold & Bronze - had to feel for the Swedish girl that got silver, losing the Gold by hitting down the pole on the very last obstacle on the jumping course.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
....snip..... How about the British press talking about Zara Phillips horse costing her Gold by taking a dump at the wrong time. Clutching at straws surely! She did go very well however. ...snip...

I could make a quip about the British Royals s**t not stinking, but that would be inappropriate.

I will observe that the recognition of manure is a prerequisite for British Tabloid media, so they are well qualified to write at some length about bowel operations and the byproducts of such.

This could also apply to some Fairfax rugby correspondents.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Very happy with the hockey right now. Kookaburras are killing it 6 - 0 over South Africa and 5 - 0 over Spain. The Hockeyroos after being beaten by NZ have turned it around against Germany to win 3 - 1.
Hopefully Spain's Pol Amat is ok. He dislocated his shoulder in the game.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Very happy with the hockey right now. Kookaburras are killing it 6 - 0 over South Africa and 5 - 0 over Spain. The Hockeyroos after being beaten by NZ have turned it around against Germany to win 3 - 1.
Hopefully Spain's Pol Amat is ok. He dislocated his shoulder in the game.
Hokkie Bokkies and Stokkies struggle at the Olympics. They show much better form going into it but now they sure aint worthy qualifiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.