• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So what's the point of this exercise? Why bother appointing someone to direct our rugby program if they'd not be suited to doing it anywhere else in the world?

I don't think that's how we're supposed to get better. Just bypass the role if that is the case, save the money and find a better coach.

It's a manager role. They're there to manage all the employees of the high performance unit. While I think it's largely the same thing as DoR the role they are seeking to fill is National High Performance Unit Manager.

'we are in this problem because we've done the same thing over and over'

This to me does seem like we're trying to do something different. We have some buy-in from people passionate about Australian rugby who have intimate knowledge with how everything operates here.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Turinui seems pretty astute and thoroughly engaged in Australian Rugby.

From the outside I'd have thought he was pretty well suited to the role.

I don't think we're playing in the field of headhunting among the best credentialed DoR candidates in World Rugby.
He spent less then 2 years as a average assistant in an average team and never coached again. He currently talks shit on a mic and organises scratch matches with his old buddy wallabies. He is in no way or shape qualified to be running a top tier high performance program.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
Andy Friend as a candidate for DoR?
Andy has been part of the Irish system for years now and would have a very good viewpoint of how they have changed Irish rugby for the better. Whether he is hard-nosed enough to stare down the various coaches and teams is another thing.
Also it is not a coaching role, it is an organisational role to pull everyone together, support coaching at all levels etc .

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He most recently was in the role at Randwick and did get them dominant in Grades but this in no way qualifies him. There are more qualified people that are DoR at Private Schools running 40 teams of varying age & standards than him.

We need someone who has done this before or at least been apart of it before.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I won't hear a bad word about Morgan Turinui. On a forum where a lot of shit is spoken, he's one person who is continually stepping up to grow the game.

The unpaid work he does with the Classic Wallabies is fantastic, taking the game to places where it has been absent for decades. Running clinics and games in the bush, or with kids in the top end. Even growing the game in the Pacific Islands.

He's probably the best analyst we've had on air that I can remember. To think the shit we used to put up with on Fox with Kearnsy, Gregan et al.

Now does this make him qualified to be DoR? I don't know. But I do know he's pretty well respected and this respect MIGHT allow him to piece together a very fractured landscape. At the very least he's not some empty suit who talks the talk but has never walked the walk.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He spent less then 2 years as a average assistant in an average team and never coached again. He currently talks shit on a mic and organises scratch matches with his old buddy wallabies. He is in no way or shape qualified to be running a top tier high performance program.

This is not a coaching role in any way, shape or form. I would take his close association with Australian Rugby over recent years and his clear passion for trying to improve the situation over other candidates with significantly more experience.

Now does this make him qualified to be DoR? I don't know. But I do know he's pretty well respected and this respect MIGHT allow him to piece together a very fractured landscape. At the very least he's not some empty suit who talks the talk but has never walked the walk.

I think this bit is pretty important. This role is important in relation to centralisation and the various stakeholders buying into the overall system. I think Turinui's standing there and the clear reputation he has built of being passionate about improving the position of rugby in Australia is critical to success in the role.

The existing relationships are key in my opinion.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
It would actually be beneficial if the DoR isn't viewed as an alternative head coach for the Wobs. There's inevitably going to be some tension in the DoR-head coach relationship as everybody works out how this new arrangement works, and you don't need a head coach - or the rugby public - thinking that the DoR is gunning for the job.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm honestly not convinced a single person can actually handle this role of Wallabies DoR/High Performance Manager and whether it's in the best interests of the game to throw someone down that path.

If we take Turinui as an example, sure he's expressed his interest, but if he's already well regarded in other spaces of Rugby Australia and doing great in those sectors, does throwing him into this high-performance role take him away from a real value add presence? We don't have a heap of people who can backfill the role he's already doing.

Maybe better off spending the time/resources sourcing the best possible head coach and during the interview process cherry picking their ideas about what best governance practices in other rugby organisations are.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It would actually be beneficial if the DoR isn't viewed as an alternative head coach for the Wobs. There's inevitably going to be some tension in the DoR-head coach relationship as everybody works out how this new arrangement works, and you don't need a head coach - or the rugby public - thinking that the DoR is gunning for the job.
I absolutely see the benefit re the public side of things and the perception of the role.

I don't know if there needs to be tension in the DoR-HC relationship. Its a pretty normal structure that is common practice in most rugby clubs in Europe + sporting organisations more generally. Cheika just couldn't make it work because he is a child.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
surprised Rod Kafer hasnt thrown his hat in the ring. Would've been his dream job not long ago.

Hopefully when he throws that hat, a gust of wind picks it up and stops it landing in the ring.

5-6 years ago he was appointed as the national coach development and lead some panel for coaching advisory.

Has that been a success story as we certainly here bugger all about it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Could be throwing out a name that could be slammed as a no but what about Tim Walsh following the Olympics? He's been successful in his coaching in the 7s, understands Rugby Australia and would have a pretty solid knowledge base an contacts throughout Aus.

That's an interesting call. Hopefully would bring the necessary focus on skills and accuracy.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Could be throwing out a name that could be slammed as a no but what about Tim Walsh following the Olympics? He's been successful in his coaching in the 7s, understands Rugby Australia and would have a pretty solid knowledge base an contacts throughout Aus.
He'd be interesting to get involved as a skills coach or in a broader high performance context but he's been in 7s for a decade now and I'm not sure he's ever coached 15s, I don't think he could slot straight into Wallabies coach. Could be a candidate as a super coach if he's interested in coming over to 15s, particularly with the inevitable shake up that will be required after the Wallabies coaching staff is settled.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Could be throwing out a name that could be slammed as a no but what about Tim Walsh following the Olympics (for DoR/HP)? He's been successful in his coaching in the 7s, understands Rugby Australia and would have a pretty solid knowledge base and contacts throughout Aus.

That's not a bad idea. Apparently Manenti is absolutely loved by the group & was the same when he was at eastwood. I'm not saying that he should be the next wallabies coach but you could shuffle the deck chairs around

Grey to wallabies system forwards coach maybe
Manenti to u/20 as apart of his development
Hoiles back to 7's but as senior mens