• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Rugby Championship 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
To'omua or Gits is going to be a hard one.

I feel To'omua is better in every aspect over Gits apart from one - Kicking, Git's left boot is very handy next to Foley and will probably be enough to see him start over To'omua.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Do the players that have signed overseas contracts to commence after the Super Rugby season still play in the Rugby Championship? I understand a normal contract goes till the end of the year, but they tend to get released early if they have an ARU component. Do we ever see them sit around doing nothing until the end of the EOYT tour before they can go to Europe to play?

Those that are not 60+ OR not signed to play for a Super Rugby franchise again.

Mainly Tomane, To'omua, Holmes & Pocock.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes. You would assume all four of those guys will be involved in the Rugby Championship squad.

If a player is no chance of playing then they are generally released but there are cases where players just outside the trimmed down squad hang around in case they are needed.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
To'omua or Gits is going to be a hard one.

I feel To'omua is better in every aspect over Gits apart from one - Kicking, Git's left boot is very handy next to Foley and will probably be enough to see him start over To'omua.

I really liked the intensity To'omua brought off the bench last year for the Wallabies. I feel that starting Gits and To'omua finishing provides much more impact than the other way around.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Forget about Gits.....To'omua is fine and pick someone else to back up.

You really don't need any of these guys coming back from overseas....

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Forget about Gits...To'omua is fine and pick someone else to back up.

You really don't need any of these guys coming back from overseas..

Given exit strategies from our own half was one of our biggest weaknesses and Gits is the best player we have to fix that., then he might edge To'omua out. Having a left foot kicker in the pocket next to Foley worked very well in the RWC.

To'omua didn't solve our kicking issues in game 3. Gits could.

Which is harsh on To'omua - he is basically punished because Foley can't handle the pressure of being the sole kicker....but that's rugby.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Forget about Gits...To'omua is fine and pick someone else to back up.

You really don't need any of these guys coming back from overseas..

It's a matter of perspective really. If we had the depth of talent you guys have then I would agree but the fact of the matter is that we just don't. I don't think we need many of the O/S based players but an astute selection here and there when needed is ok.

To'omua may be fine but 'fine' isn't going to win us the Rugby Championship or the Bledisloe Cup.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Aus coaches have a history of picking players out of position in the tests against NZ. Expect To'omua to be 10 for the first two tests and be dropped if we lose those matches. Has happened before.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Doesn't To'omua generally play 10 for the Brumbies? It would hardly be an 'out of position' selection.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No, Christian has been playing 10 all year and Matt when fit has been at 12. I also don't think he would be out of position at 10 but that would be a surprise if Cheika called it for the NZ RC games.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Aus coaches have a history of picking players out of position in the tests against NZ. Expect To'omua to be 10 for the first two tests and be dropped if we lose those matches. Has happened before.

To be fair To'omua wasn't picked out of position when he played there last for the wallabies. He was the regular 10 at the Brumbies back then. Plus he was dropped because he was pretty average - he basically just shuffled the ball along. He has come leaps and bounds as a player since then, I'd expect him to have the confidence to take the ball to the line at will now. Plus I'm pretty sure it was he debut back then too - obviously was lacking much needed confidence and experience.

If he does get a chance at 10 I would back him to succeed. It's a big IF though as like you mentioned, he is a regular 12 now and would be playing out of position.

I really do like the sound of 10. To'omua 12. Gits now, especially given Foley's lack of form. I would love to see it in action.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It's a matter of perspective really. If we had the depth of talent you guys have then I would agree but the fact of the matter is that we just don't. I don't think we need many of the O/S based players but an astute selection here and there when needed is ok.

To'omua may be fine but 'fine' isn't going to win us the Rugby Championship or the Bledisloe Cup.

I think To'omua is more then fine. In comparison to other available options and their current form, starting him could very well be the best option to win a Bledisloe.

If you look at his past performances against the All Blacks, a couple average starts, but some very good cameos from the bench. That's twice as good as Foley's or QC (Quade Cooper)'s performances - who have both crumbled against the AB's.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah I don't disagree Seb, I was just trying to illustrate that dismissing the O/S options entirely becaue we have a couple of players here that could do the job isn't possible for us anymore. We should consider guys like Gits as well as To'omua et al and pick the one that gives us the best chance of winning.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
You know I never thought only 2 games of super xv would hold a lot of merit in test selections - but i'd say for guys like Lilo, To'omua, Foley, and Phipps these last couple of games could have a lot of impact on their chances to start this RC. I don't think Foley & Phipps are the clear favourites anymore.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would be surprised if Cheika is not thinking that Foley will still be his starting 10 in the Rugby Championship.

I think Giteau is a good chance to come into 12 with To'omua on the bench and Genia to start at 9 if fit.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I would be surprised if Cheika is not thinking that Foley will still be his starting 10 in the Rugby Championship.

I think Giteau is a good chance to come into 12 with To'omua on the bench and Genia to start at 9 if fit.

Sounds like a "prediction" :) from you BH

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

If I had to bet I'd say that prediction is correct. But I like to hope that some good form by Lilo at 10 and/or To'omua will force their way into the starting squad.

I liked the look of Lilo last game, he is getting better each game after a slow season. His pace is coming back too.

Status
Not open for further replies.