• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Rugby Championship 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Apparently PdeV is the most successful pro-era bokke coach v NZ with a 5/11 record. I would never have guessed that.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...-to-copy-all-blacks-laments-peter-de-villiers

A lot of sense in those comments esp that SA are no longer playing to their strengths i.e. big munter forwards & centres plus a fly half who can keep them at the right end of the park & knock over 80%+ of his goals plus the occasional lazy three.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^^
They do have big munter forwards. Straya and NZ just have the cattle to deal with it better. Particularly Straya who were notoriously soft up front for a long time are much improved (in that aspect).

They haven't produced the backline talent though.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ of the current bokke forwards only Etzebeth is comparable to Botha, Matfield & those who came before.

EDIT: Snyman looks like he could be another.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ Marx is great at Super Rugby level esp when refs let him get away with shit at the breakdown but doesn't otherwise worry me more than say SMoore did. Beast similarly is a quality player but would've struggled to be first choice back in the day (assuming no race-based selection). It's probably something you need to be of at least my generation (tail end of the baby boom) to fully appreciate - from a NZ perspective anyway.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I think they are a far more dangerous team when they have large humans on the bench. When they bring on, kitshoff, dutoit, dutoit, & dupreez then you are like...jeez...that's some horsepower. But that goes hand in hand with no injuries/absences and allowing for their best starting XV, which includes Vermulean. Only then can they actually 'scare' with their sheer physical strength across the pack for the whole 80.

Their backline is what's struggling, some electric wingers but short on nous. Leroux had a fluff, but usually only him and Deklerk and thinking it seems. What they would give to have Serfontein available, plus I think that whilst 1 winger can be an electric flyer, the other needs to support Leroux with backfield tactics, like a Combrick, Gelant or JP.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^^^^^^ of the current bokke forwards only Etzebeth is comparable to Botha, Matfield & those who came before.

EDIT: Snyman looks like he could be another.

I would include Lood who was getting into sensational form - before injury. Africa also does sensational blind-side breakaways, not so much on the open side.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
NZ vs SA

1. Karl Tu’inukuafe (6)
2. Codie Taylor (35)
3. Owen Franks (101)
4. Samuel Whitelock (102)
5. Scott Barrett (22)
6. Liam Squire (19)
7. Sam Cane (57)
8. Kieran Read – captain (112)
9. Aaron Smith (76)
10. Beauden Barrett (66)
11. Rieko Ioane (17)
12. Ryan Crotty (38)
13. Anton Lienert-Brown (27)
14. Ben Smith (71)
15. Jordie Barrett (6)
16. Liam Coltman (2)
17. Tim Perry (2)
18. Ofa Tuungafasi (19)
19. Patrick Tuipulotu (16)
20. Ardie Savea (28)
21. TJ Perenara (48)
22. Sonny Bill Williams (47)
23. Damian McKenzie (18)

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Where the f*ck is Goodhue?!

100% this. They look like they might have found a 10 year centre but no lets go with crotty (who will last 20 minutes) and ALB. It's not like crotty and sbw aren't major injury riskss.

Not even on the reserves.

And where's frizel? How are we going to know if hes got it if we dont at least see him versus the Bokke off the bench.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Definitely the most beatable AB team this RC with injury prone centres who have had limited game time, no Retallick and an inexperienced reserve front row.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Where the f*ck is Goodhue?!

Can only assume they think that having played three Tests in four weeks he's due a break plus SBW needs a run having only played seven matches all year.

100% agree with aeneas re: Frizell, last week he was Michael Jones v.2.0* this week he's not even in the 23.W.T.F.

Agree also with UTG, we're vulnerable in some key areas esp if we have to go to the bench early.

* to be fair some Hurld hack wrote that ("future of AB rugby"), it's not something Shag or Foster have said.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Can only assume they think that having played three Tests in four weeks he's due a break plus SBW needs a run having only played seven matches all year.

100% agree with aeneas re: Frizell, last week he was Michael Jones v.2.0* this week he's not even in the 23.W.T.F.

Agree also with UTG, we're vulnerable in some key areas esp if we have to go to the bench early.

* to be fair some Hurld hack wrote that ("future of AB rugby"), it's not something Shag or Foster have said.
For most players that would be a reason not to get a run.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Derpus, you obviously don't know about the secret clause(es) in his contract re: guaranteed selection no matter what :).

Just wait til the charity boxing thing he's signed up for in the first week of December starts getting some media oxygen, the SBW-bashers will really come out of their caves......

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Goodhue needing a rest doesn't stack up. He's a back, not a tight forward. We weren't dropping Conrad or Nonu every third test because of how strenuous it is to stand in the backline.

Also, if Williams 'needs a run' then send him back to Counties.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Or maybe they're already looking ahead to EOYT & those three big games (Bledisloe 3, Ringinland & Oirland) in five weeks. But, yes, a run for C-M would make a lot of sense right now (but then there's the secret clause(es), eh :)).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Or maybe they're already looking ahead to EOYT & those three big games (Bledisloe 3, Ringinland & Oirland) in five weeks. But, yes, a run for C-M would make a lot of sense right now (but then there's the secret clause(es), eh :)).
Oh man that one is going to be HUGE!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ Shag has already said they'll use B3 as a dress-rehearsal for the RWC opener v SA. So, yeah, it'll be a big deal off the field at least. Plus there's always the possibility RA might dust off the DHL Trophy (last sighted in 2009, IIRC) & put that on the line.....

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Bloodddeee hell, they're playing Crotty already? The guy needs an extended break to be honest, I'd imagine you'd sit him out for the rest of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.