• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Skiing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
As I skied into the lift queue area this year one day, not going particularly quickly, this snowboarder went straight across in front, with his back to me, then promptly sat down right in front of me to release his bindings. Gave the knee a wrench as I went into the back of him, but no damage. I politely inquired if he was fucking retarded, to which he grunted. The skier next to him answered for him in the affirmative.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As I skied into the lift queue area this year one day, not going particularly quickly, this snowboarder went straight across in front, with his back to me, then promptly sat down right in front of me to release his bindings. Gave the knee a wrench as I went into the back of him, but no damage. I politely inquired if he was fucking retarded, to which he grunted. The skier next to him answered for him in the affirmative.

Remeber that it's inappropriate to call someone a fucking retard but you can say they're like a fucking retard. ;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Remeber that it's inappropriate to call someone a fucking retard but you can say they're like a fucking retard. ;)
I was not logged on here at the time. Different rules apply. :D
I seem to recall actually saying "Are you, like, a fucking retard?" to put it in language he would get. Winning all around.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
There are, like, always exceptions like.

Bikini-Snowboard.jpg

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I was not logged on here at the time. Different rules apply. :D
I seem to recall actually saying "Are you, like, a fucking retard?" to put it in language he would get. Winning all around.

Continuing on from this,
Would he say "What?", then take his earbuds out.
Then would you say "Like, gnarly dude, like" or summat?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not looking good
839354-43becdf4-effd-11e2-af82-401bca060aec.jpg

A WASHOUT. An absolute washout. Heavy overnight rain, hot on the heels of a week of way-above-average temperatures, has left the Australian snow resorts looking like the Australian grass resorts.
This time last week, things were looking all right and all white. The snow cover reached a depth of 64cm in NSW, and that wasn't ski resort PR. That was the official depth from Snowy Hydro, which measures the snow weekly so it knows exactly how much water will run into its dams.
The depth yesterday was down to 30cm, and that was before last night's deluge. The snow has been decimated after a week in which Sydney had consistent mid-twenties temperatures and Melburnians enjoyed their hottest ever July temperature of 23.3 degrees.
As the whole of south-eastern Australia has basked in a super warm week, all eight mainland ski resorts have lost much of their snow. Mt Buller in Victoria had more than half of its 22 lifts open last week. Today it has a ski carpet about 10m long open for beginners. It's a similar picture elsewhere.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/travel/holiday-ideas/this-rainsoaked-landscape-may-be-the-future-of-the-aussie-snow-industry/story-e6frfqdr-1226681839386#ixzz2ZTD6vpKW

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Patience grasshopper, cyclopath's dump is coming. Take a look at the cams tomorrow morning, it will be a different story.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Patience grasshopper, cyclopath's dump is coming. Take a look at the cams tomorrow morning, it will be a different story.

Well instead of topping up the base, it will be the base.

That ain't great for the middle of July

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Not great, I agree. But 50-80cm (or even more, some say) will be a great base, especially given the forecast maxima at Thredbo Top Station for the next week are all well under zero, plus a light top-up system in a week. Phat base + mucho frigidity and snow-making = late July / early August goodness.
I think ;)

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)

It's happened before, the base got washed away in July 2003 and that was followed by a one metre dump and then more falls and turned out an OK season.

Will be able to give everyone a first-hand report next weekend of how the base compares to last weekend before the rain and warm wind took its toll.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Apparently they are going gangbusters over in New Zealand with good snow all round.

Will Skiers in search of a good piste be joining the Gay Wedding exodus across to In Zud?

I do like the concept of skiing at Whakapapa (when said in the traditional Maori way) in the North Island.
One could be tempted to think it was a skifield just outside Launceston.:)

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Cyclopath's dump is starting:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-frc1/q79/s720x720/998551_10151857870056802_1777243354_n.jpg

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Apparently they are going gangbusters over in New Zealand with good snow all round.

Will Skiers in search of a good piste be joining the Gay Wedding exodus across to In Zud?

I do like the concept of skiing at Whakapapa (when said in the traditional Maori way) in the North Island.

Did it during the RWC in 2011 and it was great, well sort of. I went for a few days and the weather was so bad that all the lifts were shut on both sides of the mountain. Made a dash down from Taupo for a day and tried again and it was glorious. The climatic conditions are very fluky around there.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Well that's not my reason but yes.

I plan to go on the weekend of the 23rd but I am going to hang out to the last minute to see it doesn't all go to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.