• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The success of League players in Rugby Union

Did/do you wish for Rugby League converts to Union, to fail in our code?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
his stats for the game were terrible anyway, 3-4 missed tackles, 1 misread play in defence that lead to a linebreak and 2 handling errors.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
his stats for the game were terrible anyway, 3-4 missed tackles, 1 misread play in defence that lead to a linebreak and 2 handling errors.

Sounds like you were kinda happy he didn't play that well? Because that suggests you didn't want a league player to have a blinder in his first game. Serious question haha. I just think its an interesting mindset some of us seem to have embedded in our head as Rugby supporters. Whether that comes from denying what people like Tallis says (whether you care about his opinion or not), or whether you just don't like league players converting over/coming back

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Sounds like you were kinda happy he didn't play that well?

The post you referred to seemed to be based on facts, not emotion. (Whether or not the facts are correct is another matter).

Why would any rugby supporter want a player like this to fail? He grew up in rugby, switched to the NRL because they were the ones who offered him an opportunity, and then switched back to rugby.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Sam Burgess was down at coogee oval on saturday watching the rugby. dont think he will be the success that SBW was. also Jack Little John current manly halfback played last season in randwick 2s before going back to league

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Sam Burgess was down at coogee oval on saturday watching the rugby. dont think he will be the success that SBW was. also Jack Little John current manly halfback played last season in randwick 2s before going back to league

Roosters players used to go to watch the Beasts at Woollahra. Not sure whether they still do.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
@tom firstly don't put words in my mouth

secondly as Wamberal suggested they are just stats, no emotion involved, quite simply he had a shit first outing (not surprising given his time in the team/environment)

thirdly he isn't a leaguie, he is a union player that spent a couple of years in league.

know your shit before you comment

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The big chap seemed to do pretty well on Saturday for the Two Blues. Here's hoping he makes the grade, both for Parramatta and the Tahs (and, who knows, down the track.........)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Pretty much confirms the massive gap between Shute Shield and Super Rugby and why we need a 3rd tier.

A massive gap, eh? So Shute Shield form is worthless, is it?

I don't watch much these days, but most games that I watch there are a couple of players whose performance is up to Soup squad standards.

But, in your honest opinion, there is no point in the SS as far as picking Soup players is concerned?

T

TOCC

A massive gap, eh? So Shute Shield form is worthless, is it?

I don't watch much these days, but most games that I watch there are a couple of players whose performance is up to Soup squad standards.

But, in your honest opinion, there is no point in the SS as far as picking Soup players is concerned?

Wtf... Qwerty wasn't saying that at all..

There is obviously a gap between professional and amateur rugby.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
@tom firstly don't put words in my mouth

secondly as Wamberal suggested they are just stats, no emotion involved, quite simply he had a shit first outing (not surprising given his time in the team/environment)

thirdly he isn't a leaguie, he is a union player that spent a couple of years in league.

know your shit before you comment

No need to get all defensive mate haha. I know he has come from union. Hence why I ended my post with "Whether that comes from denying what people like Tallis says (whether you care about his opinion or not), or whether you just don't like league players converting over/coming back"
The whole focus of this was to get at the emotional part; where people fell in terms of their opinion of converts and whether we want them to succeed or not (in reference to Tallis' comments re Benji).

Read your shit before you comment.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
what kind of sad vindictive person would want converts to fail. I can understand if their name is JOC (James O'Connor) but otherwise who give a fuck. I find it quite interesting to track a player's progress in a new sport. It's a unique part of the Aussie sporting landscape; the fact that we get to see guys switch footy codes.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
what kind of sad vindictive person would want converts to fail. I can understand if their name is JOC (James O'Connor) but otherwise who give a fuck. I find it quite interesting to track a player's progress in a new sport. It's a unique part of the Aussie sporting landscape; the fact that we get to see guys switch footy codes.

I agree, but i think it comes down to pride. You don't want people telling you the sport you follow and/or play is weak and of a lower calibre than a rival code, because their players find it too easy to become successful when they convert. It's petty, but you'd be ignorant to pretend you don't feel that way when its highlighted to you

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
there's probably some truth in that but anyone with any knowledge of Union and League knows that both are tough sports filled with top quality athletes. Globally there is a lot more talent in Rugby, but here in Australia the majority of top talents are in league. Some converts find the transition easy, others don't. Some are better at union, others at league.

Off topic, it's a dream of mine to see Greg Inglis play for the wallabies. That's extremely unlike to ever happen but I genuinely think he would be rated the world's best outside back within 12 months.

With the glass ceiling that league has im surprised that more guys like Inglis don't want to international rugby. If the wallabies were to win the world cup with Folau in the team, I think we'd see a lot of NRL players consider a switch.

T

tranquility

Inglis is the most electrifying footballer I have ever seen. It's amazing that he is only 27, he could play for another 8 years hypothetically.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I agree, but i think it comes down to pride. You don't want people telling you the sport you follow and/or play is weak and of a lower calibre than a rival code, because their players find it too easy to become successful when they convert. It's petty, but you'd be ignorant to pretend you don't feel that way when its highlighted to you
Not at all.
Who ever wished Izzie to fail?
Giving players who never succeeded at a professional level,an express pass in front of proven performers at SS level,is a different issue.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm happy league players sometimes see the light and come to the great game.

But I disagree with selling the farm to buy any one of them, until they've proven their worth.

The contracting system has been busted since SuperLeague first started shaking up professional contact sports in Australia, and everyone is paying the price.

Rugby is on its knees financially (despite having the wealthiest supporter base per capita).

League is constantly having salary cap issues, as well as real issues at "grassroots" level with player payments, causing some clubs to win one year and crash the next as gifted players take up better offers elsewhere.

The AFL is getting reamed over ticket prices to keep its product moving upwards financially even though it is reaching its potential geographically.

The Australian sporting market is going to reach a crunch point somewhere along the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.