• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The success of League players in Rugby Union

Did/do you wish for Rugby League converts to Union, to fail in our code?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

The biggest problem I see is he fills a hole for the Reds at 15. The Wallabies have no need for him at 15 and he can't really play wing. Will that potentially affect a top up?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Why can'the play on the wing? We seeem to have no aversion to playing centres and fullbacks out there. Shit in the past we have had half-backs and second rowers out there intentionally and props and hookers volunteering to be there during the game

T

Train Without a Station

He played poorly as a winger in league whenever he played there. He's more of a 15 who can play 10 than one who can play wing.

T

TOCC

I don't remember Karmichael playing many games at wing, regardless you wouldn't sign Karmichael to play wing, he would be signed with the intent to either play him at fullback or in the centres... Possibly fly-half, but it would be a massive transition

He has/had a good kicking game, was a pretty good playmaker and ran good lines. If he had remained in the NRL i don't doubt he would have been playing 5/8 these days.

T

tranquility

I don't remember Karmichael playing many games at wing, regardless you wouldn't sign Karmichael to play wing, he would be signed with the intent to either play him at fullback or in the centres. Possibly fly-half, but it would be a massive transition

He has/had a good kicking game, was a pretty good playmaker and ran good lines. If he had remained in the NRL i don't doubt he would have been playing 5/8 these days.

Punishing defender too, don't think he has ever played wing - maybe a handful of times. No real speed to speak of. Very complete skillset however.

If the opportunity presented itself, the ARU would be mad not to sign him. He would be an enormous asset.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't remember Karmichael playing many games at wing, regardless you wouldn't sign Karmichael to play wing, he would be signed with the intent to either play him at fullback or in the centres. Possibly fly-half, but it would be a massive transition

He played his best footy for Biarritz at 2nd 5 IMO. Did have a couple of stints on the wing I do recall, but his playmaking ability and strong tackling was at their best in 12.

I thought in that HC final he started to look really comfortable at rugby and was disappointed somewhat that he was leaving the great game.

T

tranquility

Just for interest he played 13 in that game. Anyone who can play 12, 13 and 15 has an extraordinary skillset.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
Such sense. Much wow. So understand. But yes this frustrates me. Just go to the SMH and count how many back pages are on league, and then Rugby. It's about 5:1
Go to a Melbourne newspaper and see how many pages are on union or league.5:1 against AFL would be great.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Melbourne love their AFL.

Apparently my Mexican mate tells me that the the Herald Sun Headline on the morning of 12 September 2001 was "King Carey announced retirement from the Roos".

I get the significance of the date, but not your mate's being Mexican.

I'm gonna just pretend if your mate was Canadian or Japanese he'd never had noticed the headline. But if he were Nepalese or Chippewa Indian, he'd have been able to predict the next day's paper before it was published.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@msyzptk, "Mexican" in NSW Speak is a person from Victoria (South of the Border).

Some fairly deranged banjopluckers from elsewhere in Australia believe that that particular term is reserved to refer to those of us from The Premier State.

So the translation is "an acquaintance of mine from Melbourne was saying that they love their AFL so much that the headline in the mass circulation paper on the morning after the September 11 attacks in New York was sport related."

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
@msyzptk, "Mexican" in NSW Speak is a person from Victoria (South of the Border).

Some fairly deranged banjopluckers from elsewhere in Australia believe that that particular term is reserved to refer to those of us from The Premier State.

So the translation is "an acquaintance of mine from Melbourne was saying that they love their AFL so much that the headline in the mass circulation paper on the morning after the September 11 attacks in New York was sport related."

Ha! Nice. Okay, we do something similar in the U.S. -- the U.S. is Canada's Mexico, Iowa is Minnesota's Mexico, Wisconsin is Illinois' Canada, etc. We just can't take the full step into calling someone a Mexican because we have people who are actually Mexican or from New Mexico, so that'd get confusing.

I'm still gonna just pretend that Canadians or Japanese wouldn't have noticed the headline, but Nepalese or Chippewa Indians would be able to predict the next day's paper before it was published -- but only in Australia.

T

TOCC

The ARU has formally held talks with Karmichael, it's believed they would prefer he play in Melbourne where they can leverage the profile he developed through the AFL..beggars can't be choosers though, it's starting to look more promising for the Reds.

eja4ajyd.jpg

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
I find stories like that one absolutely ridiculous.

He would be signing with the ARU and not the Wallabies. The Wallabies are a representative team and it can't be expected he will just turn up and play for them without proving he is good enough at club level first.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I find stories like that one absolutely ridiculous.

He would be signing with the ARU and not the Wallabies. The Wallabies are a representative team and it can't be expected he will just turn up and play for them without proving he is good enough at club Super level first.

T

Train Without a Station

He has played a similar code and also instantly adapted to Top 14. In addition he actually boasts similar marketing to Folau. My only issue is his best positions, likely 12 and 15 are our close to strongest already in first string options so we are essentially chasing him to be a sub at best barring injury.

Jack Offalot

Frank Row (1)
Hi Folks, new to the forum. Huge fan of Karmichael and believe he would make the transition to union with ease, probably easier than Folau! I'd love to see him playing inside myself. Great footwork, used to run straight like no other in league, was a decent enough defender and had great vision. I could see him playing in the WC next year on the bench at the least. If ends up at the reds they could bloody well build a strategic marketing plan around him in Brissy.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Greg Inglis in this thread earlier but if made the switch he would become the best player in the world within a couple of years. He can do everything issy can do but better. It may be a touch late though, hes 27. Still would have a good few years in him. Would be a very effective marketing tool as well

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not sure if anyone has mentioned Greg Inglis in this thread earlier but if made the switch he would become the best player in the world within a couple of years. He can do everything issy can do but better. It may be a touch late though, hes 27. Still would have a good few years in him. Would be a very effective marketing tool as well

Inglis is signed with South Sydney until the end of 2017. I don't see him switching after that (and he wouldn't be worth the investment for the ARU at that point). If he does he'd more likely go and play in France or Japan for a couple of years before he retires.

No doubt he'd have made a hell of an outside centre in rugby if he'd switched a couple of years ago.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The time for GI to switch was 2011 after the Storm scandal, when the Broncos deal fell through. He was about 23 then.

Anyway, we need 200cm 120kg locks. Not many of them in League. Perhaps AFL could lend us a few.

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
Sorry for off topic
What are the rules regarding representing QLD/NSW in Origin? Do you need to be born in that state? I know of a few Melbourne Storm players playing for QLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.