• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The success of League players in Rugby Union

Did/do you wish for Rugby League converts to Union, to fail in our code?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sorry for off topic
What are the rules regarding representing QLD/NSW in Origin? Do you need to be born in that state? I know of a few Melbourne Storm players playing for QLD.
It used to be where you first played rugby league. Now it seems you can basically nominate your team of choice.

You don't even need to be born in Australia.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It's simple. Here is an easy to understand chart that explains it.
edy8ahup.jpg

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

If the IRB employed those rules for international rugby we would have a vastly different test landscape.

The following Wallabies would be deemed ineligible for Australia:
Will Genia - PNG
Quade Cooper - All Blacks
Sekope Kepu - All Blacks
Tevita Kuridrani - Fiji

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If the IRB employed those rules for international rugby we would have a vastly different test landscape.

The following Wallabies would be deemed ineligible for Australia:
Will Genia - PNG
Quade Cooper - All Blacks
Sekope Kepu - All Blacks
Tevita Kuridrani - Fiji
Read the first bit. You can be eligible to play for Australia but not eligible to play state of origin.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Forget playing, can we please just have Jonathon Thurston become head coach of grubber kicking for the Wallabies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So the Origin game has one try that came after 73 minutes but I bet no one will complain about it's entertainment value
The bit i loved,was good Old Gus waxing lyrical about what happens when the ball player gets his hand on the ball.
Gus,ball players are supposed to pass the fucking ball.
There are plenty of props,trundling around in 4th grade with more ball skills than that numpty.
Anyway.......

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We would get Ben Franks and Billy Vunipola though!

Franks was 2 when his parents returned to NZ as evidenced by Owen being NZ-born. Using 13 as the cutoff I think you'd still have Quade, if not I'm sure not many of us would mind an exception being made for him!

Overall I think the NRL's approach is where rugby should be headed in respect of players who qualify for multiple countries, Big Will being the latest example. Best way to stop the farce of guys moving to another country as an adult, pro rugby player & qualifying for that country on residence alone.

T

Train Without a Station

They call it amazing whenever somebody passes the ball. But they're all nothing passes that do not commit a defender, and merely shift the ball allowing the defence to shift with the pass.

There were some good draw and short passes at time, but overall the commentators blow their load of average ball skills.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Franks was 2 when his parents returned to NZ as evidenced by Owen being NZ-born. Using 13 as the cutoff I think you'd still have Quade, if not I'm sure not many of us would mind an exception being made for him!

Overall I think the NRL's approach is where rugby should be headed in respect of players who qualify for multiple countries, Big Will being the latest example. Best way to stop the farce of guys moving to another country as an adult, pro rugby player & qualifying for that country on residence alone.

We just need to manipulate the rules to always suit us.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
So the Origin game has one try that came after 73 minutes but I bet no one will complain about it's entertainment value
Everyone in my office was calling it boring as batshit.
But I am in Melbourne so not RL heartland.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

The rules are basically the same aren't they? Qualification based on yourself, your parents or your grandparents.

Rugby League just adds the extra farce that you can change countries once as long as you only play for one Tier 1 country (which is only Oz, NZ, England).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
What a "niggle" game - really thought it would blow up bigtime. Have to admit I loved Thurston's bitch slap - funny funny as.

Shame QLD didn't win. Would have made Game 3, the decider. Now I just couldn't give a shit

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why do they bother with Tiers in "international" mungoball?

They are seriously deluded if they think Tier 2 is anything other than a demonstration that many of the players in Australia and NZ have multicultural heritage links to other countries.

How is the domestic mungoball competition going in Lebanon and Fiji?

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
I couldn't give a shit watching last night really.

yeah, had the choice of watching a replay of the second test, or my first game of origin for a few years. had been told how great the first game was, decided I didn't want to watch the second test again (too boring, no tries and the scoring made up of penalty goals) and opted for origin.

should have stuck with the replay.

as this was even more boring, few tries and the scoring made up of mainly penalty goals.

Why is it *we* have a low scoring game and it is proof that rugby is crap, and that debacle is a tough, hard fought manly tussle?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why do they bother with Tiers in "international" mungoball?

They are seriously deluded if they think Tier 2 is anything other than a demonstration that many of the players in Australia and NZ have multicultural heritage links to other countries.

How is the domestic mungoball competition going in Lebanon and Fiji?

You answered your own question HJ. They have the tiers so they can fill the minnow teams at the world cup without removing the chance of that player to play for the country they actually want to represent.

Status
Not open for further replies.