• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Tahs 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

dont forget about all the young players who go to the NRL as well, plenty of them went just because there was no room in the S14 for them..

Cooper Cronk was a prime example, Aus Schoolboy in the same year as Morgan Turinui, finished school but no S12 club wanted him.. Melbourne Storm approached him even though he had never played league, 2 years later he is the starting halfback for the Storm, and winning the award for best halfback in the NRL.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah Cronk was one that got away but I wasn't aware that he had never played league. The bloody Storm - they also got winger Joseph Tomane - the best player of the 2007 Schools tournament.

He may have played league before, I don't know, but the more significant thing we can look forward to with a 5th team is that we will get more of the lads who have played 50/50 league and union or thereabouts, since there will be a 25% increase in spots that teenagers get in the Academy and rookie areas.

And when the U/20 age cut off makes some league players look elsewhere we may get a few good ones who end up being better in union than they were in league. Some of them could rise into the S14 in a 5 team scenario.

Yeah - I'll add the Cronk factor in the next time that someone says we won't be able to get 12 good players into a 5th team.

Well, they probably haven't said that - they have just sniped about this player and that one being on a list.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
But meantime back at the Tahs: hooker Damien Fitzpatrick, the Oz Schools and Joeys captain of 2007, and now in the professional Junior Waratahs, which makes him 3rd string Tahs hooker, has won the Tahs iron man training award.

http://www.nswrugby.com.au/MediaExtranet/News/2008/December/FitzycrownedthenewWaratahsStrongman.aspx

Looks like Fitzy has put on a bit of beef and looks healthy. The last time I saw him was at Coogee Oval when playing for Eastwood v Randwick. Just before full-time Ratu Nasiganiyavi ran at this clutch of Eastwood players and Fitzy had the naivete of volunteering to be the first one to apply a shoulder, which was promptly damaged by Big Rat.

I believe the others told Fitzy they were right behind him.

Would like to see Fitzy get a run in the S14 though that would have to be at the expense of an injury to Freier or TPN. He's a good 'un and yours truly has nominated him to be a Wallaby one day.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
True Nod, but you do the rowing fitness test sitting down.

Big Rat has to shed some of the kilos he has to shift around the park before he can be a force in the S14.

Under the ELVs (and the IRB protocols which lead to more hoisting of the pill because attacking teams are too scared to control the ball in multiple phases)***, wingers have to chase the kicked ball a lot, often fruitlessly, and if their legs don't last they aren't much good for what they have to do at other times.

By his own admission, Sivivatu had this trouble in the 2008 S14 and he was trim compared to Big Rat.

And the faster pace of the S14 FK ELV affects all positions in rugby, even wingers.

*** Note

And to anybody who wants to take exception to this - yep, I saw the 2 Heineken Cup games Stade Francais v Quins and the last plays of each game were long because the teams with the pill had to score (the last one in Paris had 28 phases !!!)- but generally, teams get rid of their own ball quicker under the IRB protocols, which require teams, including the attacking team, not to kill the ball.

T

TOCC

have to agree on the rowing topic, it was only a 2min row, that is more about power then fitness

still, i cant wait to see this kid in action in 2009

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Its only 2mins, but he would have been blowing when he finished it. Its a 2 min sprint which is like the 400m so he would need decent fitness to win it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
TOCC said:
i cant wait to see this kid in action in 2009

Let's hope that he gets some - and that will mean being able to play a high tempo game. Normally we relate that comment to forwards, but as I mentioned above: wingers have to do their bit under the ELVs.

As it stands: Turner and Tuqiri will probably be the wingers for the Tahs with SNK at fullback. That's if everybody is healthy. Tahu could find his way back on the wing again too if he fails the midfield test; so Big Rat may have to wait a bit.

I'd like to see him in action too but only if he is ready to play high tempo stuff.

Cutter

Showing fitness sitting down on rowing machines (or lifting weights for that matter) is one thing, and it's good that he has that, but moving your own weight around the park is another.

Palu had that problem playing league and had all kinds of foot and ankle problems. The aerobic training they had to do in league damaged him; so I hope that Big Rat is not affected that way. Randwick complained a few months ago that he had been flogged at Tahs training and had damaged a calf.

I'd like to see him playing at 115kgs tops and heading lighter.

T

TOCC

i reckon the Tahs should train Ratu up as a lock or openside flanker..

he has the size and the Tahs have depth issues there..

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cutter said:
Its only 2mins, but he would have been blowing when he finished it. Its a 2 min sprint which is like the 400m so he would need decent fitness to win it.
Bah, you could beat him Cuts, and I reckon if I applied my 41 year old arse more I could give him a run over 2k. (Yes, I may be kidding about me, but Cutter can row).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
TOCC said:

Blindside at best. Not quite there for lock height requirements, and too tall for a traditional openside.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
NTA said:
TOCC said:

Blindside at best. Not quite there for lock height requirements, and too tall for a traditional openside.

fark off, Ratu is a lazy big winger. Why stick him where we need workers.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

I would have thought a 2min sprint on the rower would be more like 650-700m. I know that in an old gym of mine they had a record of under 1min 30 seconds for 500m.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
HE'S barely been with New South Wales a week, but former Australia set-piece guru Michael Foley is thrilled by the attitude of his young charges.
Foley took up his new position as Waratah's assistant coach at the start of the week and is already seeing the young NSW pack put up its hands to replace the key veterans lost to the team in recent months.

Lock Dan Vickerman and backrowers David Lyons and Rocky Elsom all headed to the northern hemisphere last year, while prop Matt Dunning was ruled out of the coming Super 14 tournament with a serious achilles injury.

Between them, the quartet have amassed well over 170 Test caps, while new Test prop Sekope Kepu will miss most of the Super 14 because of a torn pectoral muscle.

While some of Waratahs Test stars don't resume training until next Monday, the man credited with rebuilding Australia's much-maligned scrum was heartened by the way some of the younger players were stepping forward.

Foley revealed new Test forward Dean Mumm and towering young lock Chris Thomson had been working on their lineout calls, the area Vickerman and Elsom had dominated for Waratahs in recent years.

"With both guys (Vickerman and Elsom gone) it creates a bit of stress in one sense, but a real opportunity in another," Foley said.

"We've very excited by the fact that guys like Dean Mumm and Chris Thomson are stepping forward and saying 'I'm keen to assume responsibility for this'."

Foley hoped some of the emerging Waratahs would follow the example of young centre Rob Horne, who blossomed last year after replacing boom recruit Timana Tahu.

"A lot of people have talked about Dan Vickerman's absence and replacing a person like that in a number of ways, and the guys that we have here are quite prepared to take on that responsibility, they are not shying away from it, which is quite an exciting thing," Foley said.

"Last year Rob Horne as a young guy stepped in and grabbed the opportunity by the neck and made the best of it.

"He played wonderfully well as a rookie and I think the guys that will step into the team as a result of the absence and guys like David Lyons, Rocky Elsom and Dan Vickerman, who have been wonderful servants for Australian and NSW rugby will have an opportunity as well.

"They will be able to either grab it by the scruff of the neck and make it theirs or they will struggle, and we are quite confident that the guys we have will do what Rob Horne did.

"Only time will tell."

Waratahs invited a number of young props to training this week and Foley confirmed NSW was still in the market to sign one more front rower.

"That's something we won't rush, to sign someone for the sake of it."

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Interesting to hear that they're in the market for another front rower - for that read "prop". They certainly need a strategy to replace Baxter and Dunning long term, but they are probably more concerned about 2009 and the injuries to Dunning and Kepu.

I don't know how the system works any more. There was talk of the Tahs missing out on Harrison for their second row in the 2009 season but in my tiny mind he is contracted by Bath until the end of their 2008-09 season which is about the same time as the end of the 2009 S14.

I think we all know how bare the cupboard of decent available Oz props is. Perhaps they are looking at props who didn't make the NZ or RSA Super squads or some journeyman who is surplus to the requirements of a Japanese club.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
What the point of this stupid "2 imported players" bullshit if we aren't going to do it?

Buy an Argie, a Georgian, anyone.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Most of the good ones are playing in Europe, especially France and Italy, but their leftovers are probably better than ours.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Veteran Phil Waugh searching for new deal, fears being pushed

By James Hooper
January 11, 2009

PHIL Waugh led New South Wales to last year's Super 14 final nursing a broken rib for the entire season, yet the inspirational captain could become the latest Australia player forced to Europe at the end of this year.
Off contract with NSW and the Australian Rugby Union in 2010, Waugh has outlined a desire to finish his career with the Waratahs by earning a new long-term deal this Super 14 season.

But he understands the decision rests with Australia coach Robbie Deans and ARU high performance manager David Nucifora.

With the emergence of Western Force flanker David Pocock on the Wallabies' spring tour and the on-going battle with George Smith for honours as openside flanker, Waugh risks being squeezed out.

Judged purely on form with the Waratahs and Wallabies over the past decade, Waugh deserves a new deal. A driving force throughout last season's NSW Super 14 success, he was once groomed as a potential long-term Wallaby captain.

"Over the next period of time I'll look at my options and see where I sit. Robbie Deans' plans are obviously very important to my future,'' Waugh said.

"I really enjoy playing in Australia and playing for the Waratahs and playing in Sydney. The SFS is my favourite ground and I've been here 10 years. Once I've got a good understanding of what they're thinking, I'll be able to make some more informed decisions.

"Every year could be your last. It's all a matter of form and injuries.

"I feel like I've got a lot of rugby left in me. I want to play until I feel I'm no longer competitive at the top level. Right now I feel fine.''

Nucifora expects Waugh to be a continued part of the Wallabies plans moving forward and intends to open talks in the next month.

The telling issue will be both parties reaching suitable financial terms, with Waugh certain to attract offers from European clubs.

Interestingly, Brumbies flanker and Waugh's long-time adversary Smith is also off-contract.

"We'll start talking to guys who are off contract from now onwards and Phil's certainly on that list. He's still very valuable,'' Nucifora said.

With the scars of last season's Super 14 final loss to Canterbury six months old, the Waratahs returned to pre-season training last Monday.

Gone were experienced forwards Rocky Elsom, Dan Vickerman and David Lyons, while prop Matt Dunning will be missing for most of the season after he snapped his achilles tendon on tour.

New coaches Chris Hickey, Michael Foley, Scott Wisemantel and Scott Bowen complete a fresh brains trust plotting the NSW game plan for 2009.

F

formeropenside

I dont see how Waugh is being "forced" to Europe. Seems more to me like playing for the Tahs isnt enough for him, so he's off for the dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.