• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Tahs 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

Aussie D said:
RW, I have said the same thing many times myself about training. I read somewhere that the All Blacks implemented individual-based training programs in 1987, though I am not sure if they continued this program or the next coach scrapped it. In professional rugby I cannot believe that this is not the norm for all teams. This situation goes down through all the grades and into the kids as well - I remember the last year I playd before heading over to China I got a mate (who is an amatuer fitness trainer) to come along and have a run in thirsties with me and he couldn't believe our fitness training procedures (we were still doing star patterns). Rugby is a long way behind other sports in this country, and, even though it is outside his portfolio, hopefully Robbie Deans will instigate changes for the future of Oz rugby.

As I said, the wall is thick, it is endless and it permeates all the way down thru the age groups. (Guess who is the most unpopular parent at our school then). You would think that by having trained such a quick sprinter it just might count for something, but rugby coaches and managers all feel they know best and in the end it's just not worth the aggravation to speak out even though you are totally correct.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
FOR Timana Tahu, the tactics and game patterns of rugby union were like a new language when he switched codes, but with one season behind him he has become an excellent student of the game.

In a recent knowledge test of secret Waratahs' plays by the 14 NSW backs, the former Parramatta Eels rugby league star was one of only four to score correct answers for 12 of the 13 questions posed by NSW assistant coach Scott Wisemantel.

And while he went into the exam confident his grasp of rugby science was good, his result - equal first - helped prove that while he has missed many games due to injury, his time out has far from stalled his progress as some might have suspected.

Tahu resumed contact training with the Waratahs on Monday after returning from the Wallabies end of season tour last year. He tore his left hamstring in the Test against Italy, in which he set up an early try.

"He has a much better understanding of it 12 months down the track," Waratahs head coach Chris Hickey said.

"That score in the knowledge test was pretty good given that he had limited exposure to the back line due to his rehabilitation program. That indicates he is developing a good understanding of the game."

Tahu said his time off was spent well during rehabilitation under NSW medico Dr Sharron Flahive, physio Keiran Cleary, strength and conditioning coach Jason Schulman and physical performance manager Peter McDonald.

Asked about the knowledge test on all the set-play moves being practised by the Waratahs, Tahu said: "I did pretty well. It was a test for 'Wisey' to see if everyone was on the same page, to see if any person was not studying.

"A year ago it would have all been another language. I wouldn't have known what is going on. But this time round, I know how the game is played, and as for the knowledge factor, I am up to scratch with it.

"That one year [in union] has helped me heaps. Playing rugby league ? it was pretty much just sit out on the edge and call the ball whenever you wanted .

"Whereas [in union], I had to learn a whole different and new game and the knowledge of working every move. There are that many set patterns. To learn all those during the year was hard, but this year I've flown into it."

After a year where Tahu was twice spelled because of hamstring tears, there is every reason to believe his knowledge will only sharpen with more time playing rather than in the gym regaining full strength.

"I need to be out on the paddock as much as I can because we have new coaching staff. We have new patterns," he said.

"The more time I am out on the paddock, the better I learn [the game patterns] and the more comfortable the coaches, medical staff and me will be when it comes around to round one [of Super 14]."

And while disappointed to have had his Wallabies tour cut short by injury, Tahu said he was happy for the extra time it has given him in Waratahs pre-season to adapt to the coaching style and philosophy of Hickey.

"I haven't heard one bad thing coming out his mouth. He is similar to Robbie [Deans], just the way he wants us to play," he said."It is not about thinking too much when you are on the field, just playing what you see and play an open game. [With] today's rules in the Super 14 you need to change and not be too structured."

Tahu is not expected to play in the Waratahs' first trial game, against the Queensland Reds in Toowoomba on Saturday week, but should play their second against the Fiji Warriors at Newcastle on Friday, January 30.

The Waratahs will still monitor his workload as the risk of recurrence increases with every breakdown. "It is the sort of injury that comes back to core stability, control around the pelvic area and an overloading on the hamstrings," Flahive said.

Meanwhile, Flahive said Wallabies props Matt Dunning (snapped Achilles) and Sekope Kepu (pectoral muscle) were making good progress with their injuries.

Dunning could be able to play club rugby in about five months, in time to impress for Wallabies selection later this year, while Kepu, at best, could be back in time for the Super 14 in two months, she said.

This is promising I guess. His hammy is the real concern. I would like to know the rest of the scores.

T

TOCC

Beale scored zero.... all his answers for some reason contained a story about how much he liked donuts

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I cant remember if the Tahs' signing of Peter Playford has been mentioned before - but he has been. No mention of the length of the contract but only one year I would expect.

It's mentioned in this article about the squad for the first trial.

Hickey set to name 'Tahs trial squad

January 19, 2009 - 6:34PM

Wallabies stars will be missing when the NSW Waratahs name their first line-up under new coach Chris Hickey on Tuesday.

Hickey will rest the likes of Lote Tuqiri, Phil Waugh, and Luke Burgess and hand an opportunity to his younger brigade for Saturday night's first trial match, against Queensland in Toowoomba.

The match will give fringe forwards a chance to press their claims as replacements for the injured Matt Dunning and Sekope Kepu and departed stars Dan Vickerman, Rocky Elsom and David Lyons.

In the backs, the competition for places is more fierce, particularly in the centres where Timana Tahu, Tom Carter, Rob Horne, Matt Carraro and Daniel Halangahu could be vying for two spots.

Among those keen to make an early impression will be Peter Playford after the Waratahs announced on Monday they had signed the former Brumbies winger.

Playford, 28, returns to where his professional rugby career began nine years ago as cover for the injured Ben Batger (shoulder) and Ratu Nasiganiyavi (foot).

"With the injuries we've suffered out wide we were on the lookout to see if we could find someone to provide some more depth, and we believe we've found that with Peter," Hickey said in a statement on Monday.

"Peter's had two seasons of Super rugby with the Brumbies and last year in particular he showed his ability to play well at this level."

Playford is best known for his record 29 tries for club side Sydney University in 2005.

"This is a great opportunity I've been given and I'm really looking to repay Chris by making an impact right from the word go," Playford said.

"I knew I had more to offer at this level in Australia but there just didn't seem to be a place for me.

"I've had a pretty good indication I'll be a part of the trial against Queensland on Saturday and I can't wait to get up there and start putting my name forward over the next few weeks to be a part of that first Super 14 team in February."

Prop Ofa Faingaanuku has been added to the Junior Waratahs program as further cover following the serious injuries to Dunning (Achilles) and Kepu (pectoral).

T

TOCC

NSW sign Force reject?

i was watching a S14 match with him in it the other night, he goes ok, nothing flash or spectacular but he seemed to do the hard work.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yep one season:

Peter Playford made his NSW debut nine years ago and has now returned to where is professional Rugby career began by signing on for the HSBC Waratahs' 2009 Super 14 season.

With Ben Batger likely to miss the entire season following a shoulder reconstruction and new recruit Ratu Nasiganiyavi out for two months with a stress fracture in his foot, Playford's signing provides further depth in the outside backs.

"With the injuries we've suffered out wide we were on the lookout to see if we could find someone to provide some more depth, and we believe we've found that with Peter," said Head Coach Chris Hickey.

"Peter's had two seasons of Super Rugby with the Brumbies and last year in particular he showed his ability to play well at this level."

Playford represented Australian Schools out of St Joseph's College before making his state debut for the Waratahs against Argentina in 2000. After being selected for Australian Under-21s in 2001, he then spent a season of rugby league with the Roosters in 2002 before returning to Sydney University to continue his Rugby career.

In 2005 he scored a record 29 tries for the Students to earn selection on the Waratahs Development Tour of Europe and the Middle East.

The following year he scored six tries in eight matches for the Tasman Makos in New Zealand's NPC, after which he signed a Super 14 contract with the Brumbies.

After earning eight caps in 2007, Playford featured in the Brumbies first nine matches of 2008 before injury ended his Super 14 campaign. He returned later in the year to help Sydney University to its fourth straight premiership.

"This is a great opportunity I've been given and I'm really looking to repay Chris by making an impact right from the word go," said Playford. "I knew I had more to offer at this level in Australia but there just didn't seem to be a place for me.

"I trained with the guys last week when the Wallabies returned and it's a really strong group, a really great bunch of guys.

"I've had a pretty good indication I'll be a part of the trial against Queensland on Saturday and I can't wait to get up there and start putting my name forward over the next few weeks to be a part of that first Super 14 team in February."

Gordon prop Ofa Fainga'anuku has also been brought into the HSBC Junior Waratahs program as further cover following injuries to Matt Dunning (Achilles) and Sekope Kepu (pectoral) which will keep both on the sidelines for extended periods.

Hickey will tomorrow announce a 28-man squad to take on the Reds at Gold Park, Toowoomba on Saturday 24 January in the Waratahs first trial of the season.

Peter Playford
Position: Wing
Physical: 187cm, 98kg
Born: 11.07.80, Sydney NSW
Club: Sydney University
Provincial Caps: 21 [NSW 4, ACT 17]
Provincial Points: 30 [NSW 2t, ACT 4t]
Provincial Debut: 2000 v Argentina [NSW]
Super 14 Caps: 17 [ACT 17]
Super 14 Points: 20 [ACT 4t]
Super 14 Debut: 2007 v Blues [ACT]

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
HSBC Junior Waratah hooker Damien Fitzpatrick has outlasted some of his more fancied teammates to win the Waratah Strongman for the 2009 pre-season.

Fitzpatrick took out the competition after winning the log press and placing second iron cross and chin up challenges.

It is the second year in a row a hooker has taken out the title, following Adam Freier's victory twelve months ago.

Daniel Halangahu, who was also edged into second last year by Freier, finished as runner up, with Dan Palmer the bolter into third place.

"Strongman isn't about the who can lift the most or row the fastest - it emphasises consistency in anaerobic capacity as well upper, core and lower body strength," said Jason Schulman, Waratahs Strength and Conditioning Coach, who this year introduced the famed log press into the Strongman competition. "There was lots of great energy in the gym during the comp; heaps of sledging and a lot of PBs which is really encouraging at this stage of the season."

Ratu Nasiganiyavi (713m) took out the two minute row by a solitary metre from Kane Douglas while Ed Jenkins (88 secs) was a commanding winner on the iron cross.

Matt Carraro finished just one shy of his own team record in the chin ups (19) and Beau Robinson (11.78secs) won the farmer's walk by the smallest of margins from Palmer (11.86secs).

Jeremy Su'a (17) tied with Palmer in the bodyweight bench press, just one ahead of Halangahu and Tom Carter, while Fitzpatrick clearly won the log press (45) with Halangahu runner up again.

The Waratahs return to training in early January when the Wallabies will join the Super 14 squad ahead of the 2009 season.
http://www.waratahs.com.au/MediaExt.../FitzycrownedthenewHSBCWaratahsStrongman.aspx

The team chin up record is 20... does this seem a little low for professional sportsmen?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Moses said:
HSBC Junior Waratah hooker Damien Fitzpatrick has outlasted some of his more fancied teammates to win the Waratah Strongman for the 2009 pre-season.

Fitzpatrick took out the competition after winning the log press and placing second iron cross and chin up challenges.

It is the second year in a row a hooker has taken out the title, following Adam Freier's victory twelve months ago.

Daniel Halangahu, who was also edged into second last year by Freier, finished as runner up, with Dan Palmer the bolter into third place.

"Strongman isn't about the who can lift the most or row the fastest - it emphasises consistency in anaerobic capacity as well upper, core and lower body strength," said Jason Schulman, Waratahs Strength and Conditioning Coach, who this year introduced the famed log press into the Strongman competition. "There was lots of great energy in the gym during the comp; heaps of sledging and a lot of PBs which is really encouraging at this stage of the season."

Ratu Nasiganiyavi (713m) took out the two minute row by a solitary metre from Kane Douglas while Ed Jenkins (88 secs) was a commanding winner on the iron cross.

Matt Carraro finished just one shy of his own team record in the chin ups (19) and Beau Robinson (11.78secs) won the farmer's walk by the smallest of margins from Palmer (11.86secs).

Jeremy Su'a (17) tied with Palmer in the bodyweight bench press, just one ahead of Halangahu and Tom Carter, while Fitzpatrick clearly won the log press (45) with Halangahu runner up again.

The Waratahs return to training in early January when the Wallabies will join the Super 14 squad ahead of the 2009 season.
http://www.waratahs.com.au/MediaExt.../FitzycrownedthenewHSBCWaratahsStrongman.aspx

The team chin up record is 20... does this seem a little low for professional sportsmen?

I thought the same at first, but I think you have to consider their 100kg+ bulk. As a full-on swimmer in my mid-teens, some of us could push up to 30-ish chin ups with a huge effort - full chin ups up and down, not little shoulder shrugs. But comparatively, we were very lithe compared to the massive muscle bulk a lot of pro-football guys carry. I also wonder if that muscle group (for chin ups) is required so much for rugby, whereas in swimming it was part of the pull.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NSW Waratahs coach Chris Hickey always thought Chris Thomson would be a big boy when he grew up.

Hickey first set eyes on a 12-year-old Thomson in Canberra when he was Rod Macqueen's assistant coach at the Brumbies in 1997.

Thomson, the son of then Brumbies and now Wallabies manager Phil Thomson, was tall for his age, but his growth spurt had only just begun.

At 204cm, Thomson is now the tallest player in Australian rugby and poised to fill the enormous void created by the departure of former Wallabies and Waratahs second-rower Dan Vickerman.

Thomson, 23, will look to stake a claim for the vacant Waratahs' lock spot when he starts for NSW against Queensland in a Super 14 trial in Toowoomba on Saturday night.

"Certainly, it is a great opportunity," Thomson said. "With blokes like Rocky (Elsom) and Dan leaving, there's been a little bit of a hole left and hopefully I can step up and fill that role.

"I've got hopefully three opportunities now and then that leads into the Super 14.

"If not the starting XV, the 22. They are both massive goals for me. It's a massive step up from where I have been, but I'm looking forward to the challenge."

The Canberran grew too quickly in his teens, missing most of his final two years of school after operations on both knees.

Thomson spent a gap year in 2004 travelling in England before returning to Australia to play club rugby in Sydney with Northern Suburbs.

His 2008 season was interrupted by injury, but he still made the Junior Waratahs' development tour of Fiji, setting him up for a shot at a Super 14 spot.

Advice from his father, who was a former Australia under-21s second-rower and ACT representative, and growing up with the Brumbies has helped Thomson to prepare for the rigours of professional rugby.

"If I need advice, he (Phil) is more than willing to give it to me, but he tries to let me choose my own way," Thomson said.

"He gives me a little bit of an insight and where to work harder on certain areas of my game. He was a second-rower as well so he can give me a bit of advice.

"Growing up around professional footballers you see what they do. How they carry themselves on and off the field. Hopefully, that can help me as well."

Hickey was particularly pleased to see Thomson emerge as a Super rugby prospect after watching him grow up.

"It's been interesting to watch Chris develop from afar and to have the opportunity to work with him now is very satisfying," Hickey said.

Despite his inexperience, Thomson has the potential to assume NSW's crucial lineout-calling responsibility, which was one of Vickerman's main roles.

"Chris has shown good lineout ability. He has that ability to read the lineout. Potentially, he could be a lineout caller for us," Hickey said. "He sees things clearly in the lineout.

"He is a pretty good ball carrier and he is able to run pretty good lines."

Does Thomson have any ambition to join his father at the Wallabies?

"I guess there is (an opportunity), but I've got to concentrate on playing my best football with the Waratahs," Thomson said.

"If that happens, I suppose it's a dream come true."

firstly, is "Canberran" the correct word there? 2ndly, seriously? operations on his knees cause he grew too quickly? THat can happen? Can't be a good start for a potential pro footballer and thirdly, I get worried when coaches use the word 'pretty' to describe a players abilities "He is a pretty good ball carrier and he is able to run pretty good lines.". Its generally not a great sign.

But good luck to him. It'd be great to have a high quality 200cm + lock playing pro rugby.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I guess it depends on Hickey's praise for young players.

"pretty good" may be as good as he gets in praising young players.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
We miss the point that January is the season for coaches talking up players which serves, amongst other things, to rev up other candidates - not that there are too many for the Tahs 2nd row, come to think of it.

Thus To'omua got a good talk up and no doubt Lealiifano got to read about it.

Thomson will have to use the new environment he is in: training with players who are a lot better than he is and eventually playing against such, to lift his game. He will also be pushing for a spot on the bench.

He wouldn't be the first who responded positively to such and environment and challenge and nor would he be the first to fail to respond.

The Jury is distinctly out.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Thomson is huge, no question but he doesn't move well at all. ELVs at Super 14 pace would be too much for him I suspect.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
naza said:
Thomson is huge, no question but he doesn't move well at all. ELVs at Super 14 pace would be too much for him I suspect.

C'mon! He moves pretty well..

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Ash said:
Moses said:

I thought the same at first, but I think you have to consider their 100kg+ bulk. As a full-on swimmer in my mid-teens, some of us could push up to 30-ish chin ups with a huge effort - full chin ups up and down, not little shoulder shrugs. But comparatively, we were very lithe compared to the massive muscle bulk a lot of pro-football guys carry. I also wonder if that muscle group (for chin ups) is required so much for rugby, whereas in swimming it was part of the pull.
Sure some of them have 100kg+ bulk, and to hear that The Dunning couldn't beat 20 chin ups would not surprise me. Some of the smaller guys like Burgess, Sheehan or Rogers I'd would have thought could do 20 ish chin ups...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I had a go at this at the park, on the monkey bars with my kids. I got to 4 when it felt like parts of my shoulder were coming adrift.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
I had a go at this at the park, on the monkey bars with my kids. I got to 4 when it felt like parts of my shoulder were coming adrift.

well congrats, you are The Yellow Scarf record holder at the moment.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The best way to become good at pull ups is to do lots of pull ups.

I reckon 4 is a superb effort. You could probably get to 10 in a couple of weeks Scarfie. I consider myself relatively fit but my power to weight ratio in the arms is pretty rubbish. I dont think I could manage 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.