• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Tahs 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I've got strongish arms and chicken legs. Good physique for a boxer, except I have a glass brain.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Trial Match
HSBC WARATAHS V FIJI WARRIORS
Friday 30 January 2009 (Kick-off 7:40pm AEDT)
EnergyAustralia Stadium, Newcastle

HSBC WARATAHS
1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
3. Al Baxter (Northern Suburbs)
4. Dean Mumm (Sydney University)
5. Will Caldwell (Sydney University)
6. Ben Mowen (Randwick)
7. Phil Waugh [c] (Sydney University)
8. Scott Fava (Eastwood)
9. Luke Burgess (Eastern Suburbs)
10. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University)
11. Lote Tuqiri (West Harbour)
12. Tom Carter (Sydney University)
13. Timana Tahu (West Harbour)
14. Peter Playford (Sydney University)
15. Lachie Turner (Eastwood)
Reserves
16. Adam Freier (Randwick)
17. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)
18. Beau Robinson (Warringah)
19. Chris Thomson (Warringah)
20. Jeremy Su'a (Penrith)
21. Sam Norton-Knight (Northern Suburbs)
22. Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs)
24. Dan Palmer (Southern Districts)
25. Dave Dennis (Sydney University)
26. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
27. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
28. Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University)
29. Matt Carraro (Randwick)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
fatprop said:
That side isn't crap, with a few starters to be thrown on later

what other starters? Beale? Horne? Palu obviously.

I agree though, it looks damn good.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Looks like a 1st choice side for mine, with the guys recovering from injury (Palu, Horne) given a bit more time to get up to speed from the bench.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Noddy said:
fatprop said:
That side isn't crap, with a few starters to be thrown on later

what other starters? Beale? Horne? Palu obviously.

I agree though, it looks damn good.

My assumption is that the Tahs best side will be

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Al Baxter
4. Chris Thomson
5. Will Caldwell
6. Dean Mumm
7. Phil Waugh [c]
8. Palu
9. Luke Burgess
10. Beale
11. Lote Tuqiri
12. Horne
13. Timana Tahu
14. Lachie Turner
15. Sam Norton-Knight

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fatprop - don't you think Tahu will be given every opportunity in a 12 jersey this season rather than at centre? Who was the young crashball type midfielder the Tahs used last season? He seemed a good prospect, except for a limited passing game.

Have the Tahs utilised the selecting an overseas player option?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
ACT Crusader said:
Fatprop - don't you think Tahu will be given every opportunity in a 12 jersey this season rather than at centre? Who was the young crashball type midfielder the Tahs used last season? He seemed a good prospect, except for a limited passing game.

Have the Tahs utilised the selecting an overseas player option?

Last year Tom Carter played crash ball at 12 with Horne at 13.

Horne, Tahu and Carter will be thereabouts.

No overseas player this year, but it was a bit late to get anyone decent.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That won't be far off the mark fatprop. The centres might swap or Carter could be favoured at 12, especially if Horne and Tahu don't click. Also Mumm may be moved in to partner Caldwell with Fava or Mowen starting at 6.

Vickerman and Elsom will be missed in the starting XV but it's not a bad run on team is it?

The problem for the Tahs this year compared to 2008 will be when bench players come on. One of the Tahs strengths last year was it's bench. Quite often they came on early because the difference in quality with the player they were replacing was not clear cut to start with.

This year the bench quality won't be as high and the starters will stay on longer. Both situations will depreciate the quality of the performance. It goes without saying that the Tahs, more than ever, will be vulnerable to injury.

The plus for the Tahs will be it's experience in the starting players.

The exceptions are:
- Thompson - but I wouldn't put money on his being the starter. Fava would be an plus for experience.

- Tahu - but at least he has gone to Wallaby University since the last Super14.

- Horne - but let me assure you that this lad has a very old rugby head.

- Another with an old head is Lachie Turner and, like Burgess, would have aged considerably in rugby terms with the Wallabies. Mumm and Benn Robinson are also young veterans with the Wallaby content in their know how.

- Of the others: Beale is already into his 3rd year though he was still a teenager a few weeks ago, and Caldwell benefited immeasurably in 2007 when Kanaar was out injured and he played every minute of every game.

Most of the Tahs have played in big matches too.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
When you look at the locks and 8s (incl Mowen), you would have to assume that Mumm will play in the second row.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My guess was they may play it the way Link did, Mumm to start at 6 and Thompson (or another lock) to get 50 min with Mumm moving to lock and Robinon or Fava to come on at 6.

Link let Elsom do this two years ago with success replacing Hand.

S

Spook

I think the Tahs have probably lost their best 2 players from last season in Vickers and Elsom. Is Hangers rated over Beale? I expect a big year from Turner.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
A big year from Turner ? I'll be pleased if he graduates to being able to catch passes.

S

Spook

Catching is generally a good starting point ;D. 2nd year blues last year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Turner really had a mare in his first game, but I thought he did well in Europe with limited opportunities.

To me his biggest weakness is his defence at times (he falls off tackles a bit too easy), but he works hard off the ball and give him some space and he will punish you big time.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Excuuuuuuse me.

Actually, those crook passes I criticised were for the Tahs; so I have permission as Chief Tahs Tragic to give him a serve.

[Any other contender for CTT will be questioned on seniority and will lose.]

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kane Douglas is 20 and 201cm? 115kg? I know you guys shirk at these types of stats but that is pretty damn good awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.