• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Magnay isn't cheapening the jersey, like Mason in June he is getting a taste of camp, not a squad pick

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Understand that fatprop but he doesn't actually deserve a "taste"
Based on this bloke you could probably give almost ALL Australian super players a "taste". Most would be more deserving

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think Foley would be quicker than Lance. I also think his passing game is substantially better. His handling is certainly better than Lance.

I would have picked Lance in the squad too but this talk that suddenly he is maybe better than Foley is pretty out there.

Lance's defence and kicking game is definitely better than Foley's.

Lance is also unbelievably injury prone.

Lance outpaced (or at least was equal in pace to) Hooper over about 60 - 70m. I really don't think Bernard would be able to do that to Hooper.

Reactions: gel

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lance outpaced (or at least was equal in pace to) Hooper over about 60 - 70m. I really don't think Bernard would be able to do that to Hooper.

With the same head start I don't think Hooper would catch Foley either.

I would be surprised if Lance is faster than Foley.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I was writing what I thought the plan was, not how effective the execution of that plan was

But FP you also claimed that Cheika selects the players who can execute his plan. I'd say the evidence is in over the past two or three years that there are usually better players left out of the side who would be more capable than some who have been included. "You know what I mean?".

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, it will be all clearer on Monday when the Brumbies are selected

One thing looks certain to me, FP. There won't be as many Brumbies in the side as there are Tahs. And leaving aside the fact that they finished top of the Aus conference, it would be hard to argue that more Brumbies have not been in better form over the Super Rugby season than Tahs players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One thing looks certain to me, FP. There won't be as many Brumbies in the side as there are Tahs. And leaving aside the fact that they finished top of the Aus conference, it would be hard to argue that more Brumbies have not been in better form over the Super Rugby season than Tahs players.

Who do we think?

Sio, Ala'alatoa, Carter, Arnold, Fardy (hopefully), Powell, Leali'ifano, Kuridrani, Speight.

Godwin would be there if not injured.

So it will definitely be 8, probably 9 assuming Fardy gets the nod and would be 10 if Godwin was fit.

The Reds have the highest representation.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cheika has already confirmed that Fardy will be released to head north once the Brumbies are finished..........

If Banks continues with his form I'd like to see him as a smoky (maybe EOYT?), but there's already a lot of competition for those outside back spots.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

The only Tah I see as "lucky" is Dempsey, the ponies player who will be "lucky" is Powell, so one each IMHO

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But FP you also claimed that Cheika selects the players who can execute his plan. I'd say the evidence is in over the past two or three years that there are usually better players left out of the side who would be more capable than some who have been included. "You know what I mean?".

Not really, the "execute his plan" is the issue

Not do other stuff well

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

If that is the case he's made some bad selections (base on win/losses) in that those selected players cannot execute his game plan.

Either that or Chek has a shithouse game plan, incapable of execution

Take your pick

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
If that is the case he's made some bad selections (base on win/losses) in that those selected players cannot execute his game plan.

Take your pick
See also, "the players I pick aren't fit enough to execute my game plan"

A national coach has to change the game plan to suit the players he has, not the players he wants

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Surely the players being fitter doesn't negate the game plan though. I think they need to be fitter as well, especially if we're going to play up tempo. It applies almost as equally if we're going for attritional field position footy too.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Take your pick
The whole thing's horse shit. IMO.
we won more often when we picked the best player in each position and worked out the game plan in the post match presser.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The only Tah I see as "lucky" is Dempsey, the ponies player who will be "lucky" is Powell, so one each IMHO

Are you serious?

Powell may be no hot shot, but he is the best of a bad bunch. Dempsey was a nothing player this season. Roberston was a nothing player this season. I don't think much of Hanigan either.

Is Cheika saying that the form of the Waratahs contingent is based on Gibson's poor coaching? How else do you explain it?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nah, he's been widely praised as the form Aussie 9 this year.... so far from lucky.

Fine bait though!

I'd happily see Louwrens (I'm sure we would have), and Gordon get a chance to show their wares same as Powell. Even perhaps Ruru down the track. Both him and Louwrens have been around the bush and played great rugby this year. I think Powells has been fortunate that Larkham was his coach in conjunction with solid but not amazing performances. Phipps is lucky. If Higs and Quade got dropped, so should have Phipps.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Are you serious?

Powell may be no hot shot, but he is the best of a bad bunch. Dempsey was a nothing player this season. Roberston was a nothing player this season. I don't think much of Hanigan either.

Is Cheika saying that the form of the Waratahs contingent is based on Gibson's poor coaching? How else do you explain it?

If we had to play next weekend- Cowan crushes Robertson. Higs still crushes dempsey. RHP crushes Dempsey. Fardy crushes Hanigan and Dempsey. Hanigan has potential, but potential shouldn't be the starting no.6 in 3 games vs the bloody AB's. If Louwrens hadn't got injured I would have him crushing Phipps and Powell. Ruru is close himself.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'd happily see Louwrens (I'm sure we would have), and Gordon get a chance to show their wares same as Powell. Even perhaps Ruru down the track. Both him and Louwrens have been around the bush and played great rugby this year. I think Powells has been fortunate that Larkham was his coach in conjunction with solid but not amazing performances. Phipps is lucky. If Higs and Quade got dropped, so should have Phipps.

Only difference is Higgers and Cooper played, and it seems Cheika deemed them to have not played as he wanted. Phipps just hasn't played. ;) (Well, hardly at all).
I honestly think, at the moment, below Genia, no number 9 is that great - probably why Powell got so little time in the mid year Tests. It's certainly not ideal.
I struggle to recall being so indifferent about a Wallaby squad in general, with a small few players even close to challenging their All Black opposite. It's all a bit "meh".