• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallaby 12 Conundrum

Who do you think should be the Wallaby 12?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The disappearance of Tapuai's form is one of life's great mysteries. We can blame Graham on playing him at 13 in 2014, but whose fault was it in 2013?

Karmichael Hunt will fix him. playing next to and mentored by a hugely respected pro will straighten Tapuai's head. if that doesn't fix him, nothing will.

btw, The Coach will never select Tapuai for the Wallabies. never.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Stick with To'omua until Godwin proves he is better.

I'd prefer Cooper at 12 over Beale.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No he didn't.

He was completely indifferent at 12 for the Wallabies. He was picked in 2013 on 2012 form.

He was picked in 2013 on 2013 S15 form (didn't he break his leg in 2012?) and thoroughly deserved it and then got knocked out in his first tackle in gold and has struggled to recapture the form that got him picked.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
He was picked in 2013 on 2013 S15 form (didn't he break his leg in 2012?) and thoroughly deserved it and then got knocked out in his first tackle in gold and has struggled to recapture the form that got him picked.

Lilo had an amazing 2012, was probably going to start @10 against Scotland and Wales in the June internationals before breaking his leg.

He had an o.k. 2013, playing outside To'omua rather than at 10. Was selected at 12, knocked out, and hasn't really shown anything since.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
To'omua, if fit, is my 12 for the Wallabies. He can run, pass, kick and defends like a bloke twice his size. His combination with QC (Quade Cooper) last year had the makings of something pretty special and I think it can be again if Quade can return and get back to that form.

Of the other candidates I would go with Godwin. He has a similar set of attributes to MT, but unfortunately (mainly because of injury) we're running out of time to see what he can do before the world cup. I think he definitely needs to be in the touring squad and get some game time. We need a backup in that slot and there are few other alternatives (Daz's suggestion of Inman notwithstanding).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Best you get an atlas.

It has pictures.

Sounds complex. Are the pictures boobies?

Back on the topic - here's an idea:

Why don't they fucking play To'omua at 12 at the Brumbies? I mean, he's hardly the 10 that all the Little Bronies think he is.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
To'omua hasn't bolted down his position this season. I don't think anyone is advocating that his contract be torn up, but it's hardly ludicrous to suggest other options be contemplated. We aren't talking about a guy that has played 40 solid or excellent tests and then has a few bad nights, this is someone that has had 3 or 4 good to very good outings to his name and just as many where he's been pretty ordinary.

I think Kuridrani has demonstrated that it's possible to look like a premier centre behind this pack and that has put a light on To'omua's lack of attack this season.

Frankly, if he needs Cooper inside him to perform well, he should come as a package deal with Cooper and we should have a plan B available for when Cooper isn't (through injury or being dropped or pissing off to league or whatever).

The only backline players that are guaranteed a spot in the XV in my mind for the moment are Folau and TK.

As for beale, he is now clearly little more than a broken play expert.

T

TOCC

To'omua is having a below standard season, there is no doubt about it.. Yes he had a stellar 2013, but he isn't carrying that form now thus his selection deserves to be questioned and alternatives discussed.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
To'omua is having a below standard season, there is no doubt about it.. Yes he had a stellar 2013, but he isn't carrying that form now thus his selection deserves to be questioned and alternatives discussed.

fully agree.
i like the bloke a lot, but he doesn't deserve his place now.

on the subject of blokes playing way below their ability, what might be holding Tapuai back?
he's another with great ability that i like a lot.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
To'omua hasn't bolted down his position this season. I don't think anyone is advocating that his contract be torn up, but it's hardly ludicrous to suggest other options be contemplated. We aren't talking about a guy that has played 40 solid or excellent tests and then has a few bad nights, this is someone that has had 3 or 4 good to very good outings to his name and just as many where he's been pretty ordinary.

I think Kuridrani has demonstrated that it's possible to look like a premier centre behind this pack and that has put a light on To'omua's lack of attack this season.

Frankly, if he needs Cooper inside him to perform well, he should come as a package deal with Cooper and we should have a plan B available for when Cooper isn't (through injury or being dropped or pissing off to league or whatever).

The only backline players that are guaranteed a spot in the XV in my mind for the moment are Folau and TK.

As for beale, he is now clearly little more than a broken play expert.

The way OZ have been selecting their 12s in the last 6-7 years I don't think you have a 40 plus test guy let alone someone that has consistently been given an opportunity to get to that point.

A. Finger
Taps
Horne
McCabe
Lilo
To'omua

I'm sure I've missed a couple...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Speaking of Giteau: what the fuck is up with FoxSports blowing a load over him repeatedly? Every week now its like Giteauwatch.

Are Fox showing T14 games now or something? Last time I had Pay TV, only EuroSport played French Rugby.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
12 is one of those positions where it is the 'balancer' of the backline. I look at the ABs and I would say Aaron Mauger was our last "natural" 12. I'm not talking about a 2nd 5 vs inside centre issue either, but I just think he had the right combination of skills to balance the 10 and 13. But Mauger had an up and down test career and he was ultimately replaced by McAlister (a 10 turned 12 that also played 13 at Super level) and previously by Umaga (a wing turned centre turned 2nd 5).

Now we have Nonu who started his AB career as a centre despite playing wing for his Super team (Umaga and Conrad were the midfield). So after 5 years of being in or about the AB environment he assumes the 12 jersey in 2008 and combines with his Super rugby team mate to form one of the most successful midfields in AB history.

Moral of the story, Nonu needed all kinds of time which goes to show that 12 isn't necessarily an easy position to nail down.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Speaking of Giteau: what the fuck is up with FoxSports blowing a load over him repeatedly? Every week now its like Giteauwatch.

Are Fox showing T14 games now or something? Last time I had Pay TV, only EuroSport played French Rugby.

Still on EuroSport. Comes with the Sports package on Foxtel. They have been showing him a bit lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.