• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Please the article is written by Phil Rothfield-treat it with the disdain it deserves. Won't believe anything until Folau says it. I still believe its 50/50

I'd be surprised if he goes back to the NRL, I suggest it's just a leak to give the ARU a hurry up....if he does go back he will be dropped from the Wallabies the same day as the announcement

Redsman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Theres no way he could/should return to bogan rugby after getting a taste of the real stuff. But $$$ talks...

youngone

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm a big fan of Folau as a bloke. But the Wallabies jersey should be saved for people who will grow into it/hold onto it.

Digby, Barnes etc have earned the right of playing one more tour in it before they disappear.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Funny how Fox Sports News are leading with this as their lead story but when Cheika implied they'd agreed a deal and were waiting on the ARU top up it was ignored, all it from a journo whose philosophy seems to be publishing rumours, lies and half truths? Tin foil hat time but are Fox planning on using Izzy as their man NRL promotional guy or something

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think Cheika ever mentioned Folau has agreed to a deal with the Tahs. He just said they've made their offer to Izzy and it's now up to him to accept that and the ARU one.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
He said they'd agreed a "pathway" IIRC and it depended on the ARU, which I took as the Tahs had agreed terms in principle and were waiting on the ARU to make their move.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm a big fan of Folau as a bloke. But the Wallabies jersey should be saved for people who will grow into it/hold onto it.

Digby, Barnes etc have earned the right of playing one more tour in it before they disappear.
The jersey should be worn by someone who respects it and the game it represents. If someone comes in to make money for a year as part of an NRL waiting room due to salary cap problems then that person has not shown the proper respect and it should be withdrawn immediately. NSW should also withdraw him and let him run around with the group outside the playing squad (meet contract requirements). Then kick him in the arse as he leaves.

Hopefully this will also stop the ARU from chasing mangos on short term deals

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Not sure it is fair to suggest Folau doesn't respect the jersey and what it means if he leaves next year. The guy seems to be all class to me and that is more than can be said for a few of the high profile players we have. If he decides to go to League I'll be disappointed, but I respect his right to carve his own way through life.

I also think it would be a big mistake, but it is his decision. Meanwhile we have rugby to win and he gets selected on merit.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
For my 2 cents worth, I reckon Folau has his eyes set on several years in Australian Rugby, a taste of a real World Cup, possibly a look at the Olympics, (in my humble opinion, that is one of the pointy issues being negotiated with the ARU right now) - along with his management wanting to see if he is worth more $$$ post Lions Tour - and then I suggest, he sees a sunny, and comfortable, period in his late 20s playing a bit of Rugby in the South of France, and living the good life over in Europe for a while... Toulon? Toulouse? Possibly even totter over to Japan for a year to soak-up some culture, and handle his retiurment fund...

I think he is also smart enough to realise he cannot keep jumping about for ever...

Compared to that scenario... NRL can offer him what? - Running about in Club Rugby every week at Belmore Oval DELETED!.. hmm - tough choice.

AFL has made him a wealthy young man - at least enough so that the evil dollar does not have to be his major or only concern... A genuinely enviable lifestyle awaits him, if he wants it.

Post Note: I know what was said about the RWC by the new 7S 'Tsar'(!) - but he hasn't been challenged on it yet, by any players that the ARU wants to 'keep; end of story'.

I have no way of knowing, but I would not be surprised if that Hard Line was left to decay over time - after all, how many players are seriously going to be in the mix for a 7s spot - 2? 3?... and few if any of them would give up a RWC without talking long and hard with the 7s coach first - in fact none will.

I do expect though, a few players will be asking why they have to make a choice which is subjective at best - and possibly even against the wishes of the 7s Team management...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I've just come around to liking the young fella of late, and think he has a long term future in our game.

I don't want to have to start disliking him again, or feeling pity for him having to do penance in Fivekick for the rest of his days.

Here's a question. If he goes back to Fivekick for a year or two a la Sunny Bill W, would he be welcomed back in Rugbydom with open arms?

I think the Darkness will have no problem with $BW returning to the fold in a year or two when they start their final preparations to retain Bill at RWC 2015.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I've just come around to liking the young fella of late, and think he has a long term future in our game.

I don't want to have to start disliking him again, or feeling pity for him having to do penance in Fivekick for the rest of his days.

Here's a question. If he goes back to Fivekick for a year or two a la Sunny Bill W, would he be welcomed back in Rugbydom with open arms?

I think the Darkness will have no problem with $BW returning to the fold in a year or two when they start their final preparations to retain Bill at RWC 2015.

unless he has signed contracts to the contrary, SBW is due back at the Chiefs next year...

Remember when he left Canterbury (DELETED) and all those Leagu-ies were saying that he should not only be banned from RL but also from Union (and soccer if possible) - and that he should never be allowed back into the game, or even maybe the country?... Remember also, when he signed the Big Dollar Deal with Easts, that the same Club Officials, Pundits, and Journos were screaming blue murder that the Easts-Canterbury match was not being specifically changed to the 'Season Opener', in order to mark his return?

I see no reason why SBW cannot switch back and forth at will - same for Folau... I just suspect that Folau may not WANT to...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They seem a little more pragmatic about targeting quality Mungo talent with transferrable skills in the Shaky Isles.

Our track record with raiding Rugby Lite ranks has not been all that good.

We appear to have got a good one this time. FFS lets keep him.

It would have been great to have had Brad Thorn playing for the Reds and the Wobs. Still mystified how we let him go to the Darkness.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
They seem a little more pragmatic about targeting quality Mungo talent with transferrable skills in the Shaky Isles.

It would have been great to have had Brad Thorn playing for the Reds and the Wobs. Still mystified how we let him go to the Darkness.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
When he first swapped codes, Thorn was first and foremost interested in knowing if he had it in him to play for the All Blacks.

Playing for the Reds would have been (to exercise considerable understatement) a step in the wrong direction.

When he went back the second time, it was 'cause the Cantabs offered him a contract. There may have been a tiny opportunity there for the Reds, but not much of one I suspect.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

That's just not right.
What international Mungo players failed to be a Wob?

Status
Not open for further replies.