• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tier 3.5 - An Alternative NRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Unfortunately some of the clubs have an overly inflated belief in the popularity of the Comp based on this year's Shute Shield GF. It was a great day, loved every minute of it, but not all SS GFs are like that and typical season games are nowhere near like that. A lot of things aligned to make that day good. Venue, location, weather and fairy tale history making finish.
If they do this, watch the NRC start earlier in the season and the development of NRC colt sides. If this is the stepping stone to a Super Rugby contract, guess where the talent players will go. Guess where the SS clubs will go in time.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Nah,fuck em.

They are two years too late to try that one.

What player who knows he is a walk up start will turn his back on NRC to play some bulkshit nothing comp, sans super players it has to be weaker.

Bill,don't negotiate with terrorists...

So the ARU is in the Super League position......

After the current generation they really have to keep signing the kids in school straight to Super contracts or buying league stars in middle age because there is no other development pathway. An "elite" comp/s with no feeder base and a disillusioned and declining following.

Bill doesn't negotiate anyway, his style from the start has been we'll consult and I'll tell you the pathway. We'll have a discussion where I'll tell you the path.

Its no big deal for Bill anyway, he didn't want to fund the clubs in any way and now he doesn't have to. The Clubs didn't want the NRC and now they don't have to support it. Its a win/win and the most viable will remain. It shouldn't bother you at all is the Clubs lose anyway ILTW, they have no place in modern rugby after all.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I believe the governing body (state or otherwise) had to authorise any game (or competition) in their territory for it to get insurance coverage and I think event referees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe that is in fact the end game, as I have thought for some time. A "New Union" outside the ARU and state bodies. Much more to this.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
As I said earlier - is there any good possible to come out of this?

Are their no Wallaby signatures frustrated with the timing? An intention to tear down is not the same as an intent to build something different.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Choosing words as carefully as I can. I posted way way back on page 49 I would sign out for a while as my views were well known and restating them seemed pointless especially when most disagreed.

I have read with interest on both this site and the Roar [450 + comments].

The general consensus seems to be the establishment the suits the elites are right and the rebel players and their revolutionary talk is hurtful, misplaced, misdirected and bad for the game.

Poppa Paddy gets special mention and is seen by many I think as the rebel leader.

Two of the things I have constantly bemoaned are first that both Pulver & Flowers rushed their competition through and never got board agreement they demanded it happen rather than by their leadership and skill commanded it to happen.

Second the acute failure to develop park structures and the total failure of not being able to tell the private schools to move their Saturday competitions and by moving park teams to Sunday has done more damage to our player base than anything I can recall.

The rebels will win outright or force change that in effect gives them victory. Why because essentially they are right.

Next year if reports I have seen are right soccer will have a second team in Brisbane and a third team in southern Sydney. Heaping more pressure on the Reds and Tahs and within four years both soccer and league will have new teams in Perth, this will help the Force no end.

I find the constant defence and excuse making for the ARU to be misguided as although Pulver has been successful in certain areas under his stewardship the loss of media presence, the loss of playing numbers, the huge number of volunteers who have walked away because of the Sunday move.

My take is Poppa Paddy or Popa Smurf or whatever name you wish to call him and those that support him are much closer to what happening on the ground that the ARU board.

SANDZZAR drums are beating to reduce even further our sides from 5 to 4 maybe even 3.

Viva the revolution, thank god it’s started … last post again for a while I kinda don't expect broad agreement but the rebels will win of that I am sure.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What Clubs don't want NRC?
Randwick wanted to go alone initially, Sydney University did so for Two Years. Eastwood backed out of NRC Rams.
The 4 Clubs behind the Rays seem to be happy with NRC.
Parramatta, West Harbour and Southern Districts also seem to be behind the Rams.

Who elected Papworth and Poidevin the the position of Spokesmen for All Sydney Clubs?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Randwick wanted to go alone initially, Sydney University did so for Two Years. Eastwood backed out of NRC Rams.

Parramatta, West Harbour and Southern Districts also seem to be behind the Rams.

Who elected Papworth and Poidevin the the position of Spokesmen for All Sydney Clubs?

Who signed the letter?

Its one thing to do something because you have no real choice and another to be "happy' about it.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
As I said earlier - is there any good possible to come out of this?

Are their no Wallaby signatures frustrated with the timing? An intention to tear down is not the same as an intent to build something different.

Maybe the timing is because nobody gives much relevance to the NRC final this weekend. I keep having to remind myself its on. As for the test, I am more interested in watching the ladies run around thanks, I feel it will be a better game.

When has there ever been such a level of utter despondency entering into a Wallabies V ABs test since the mid 80s? I certainly have never felt such a total lack of hope that they will even put in a decent game since that time. Even under Deans I hoped it would be the 1 in 5 games they actually played well. This is just like the Macqueen years without any success to balance the dire endless recycle game and no real stars in form like Burke, Tune and Larkham to spur some excitement.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
They don't speak for all SS clubs.

Their plan is to promote the interests of 4 of those clubs.

So one would assume they have been in talks with them surely?

Oh right so in all the emails quoted by Zavos it was just four Clubs.

Your so bent on it being just those four "privileged" clubs you are blind to all else.

What about McBain and Hebert for starters. I didn't realise they played for a Sydney Club.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So. Part of the grass roots problem, for me anyway, is that the Sydney Premier division was largely established around the eastern strip. Breaking out of that to incorporate the subbies, or some of them, into Premier was not possible. And the bulk of non private school talent, is in the west.

But now it is (possible to re-draft premier rugby.) The subbies are not ready to replace the SS in terms of the professional players produced, but they certainly can be. Its an unfortunate but stark choice.

Add to this the bulk of Super players who come through talent identification programmes, and the impact of a breakaway of four SS clubs is not what is might be.

Not ideal. And Aus rugby is already at a cross roads in terms of financial survival.

I'm now playing Talking Heads "Burning down the house" while I think about Papworth.

T

Train Without a Station

So if it's "top" sydney and Brisbane clubs, how exactly do the 8 that miss the cut in Sydney benefit Gnostic?

I'm sure it will be selected in an objective, fair and forward thinking manner free from any self interest.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Maybe the timing is because nobody gives much relevance to the NRC final this weekend. I keep having to remind myself its on. As for the test, I am more interested in watching the ladies run around thanks, I feel it will be a better game.

When has there ever been such a level of utter despondency entering into a Wallabies V ABs test since the mid 80s? I certainly have never felt such a total lack of hope that they will even put in a decent game since that time. Even under Deans I hoped it would be the 1 in 5 games they actually played well. This is just like the Macqueen years without any success to balance the dire endless recycle game and no real stars in form like Burke, Tune and Larkham to spur some excitement.

Firstly there is the Wallaroos with unprecedented coverage.

Then there is the Bledislow, god help us.

And finally there is the NRC final. Kid yourself that no-one is interested. Hope Pap thinks the same.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Choosing words as carefully as I can. I posted way way back on page 49 I would sign out for a while as my views were well known and restating them seemed pointless especially when most disagreed.

I have read with interest on both this site and the Roar [450 + comments].

The general consensus seems to be the establishment the suits the elites are right and the rebel players and their revolutionary talk is hurtful, misplaced, misdirected and bad for the game.

Poppa Paddy gets special mention and is seen by many I think as the rebel leader.

Two of the things I have constantly bemoaned are first that both Pulver & Flowers rushed their competition through and never got board agreement they demanded it happen rather than by their leadership and skill commanded it to happen.

Second the acute failure to develop park structures and the total failure of not being able to tell the private schools to move their Saturday competitions and by moving park teams to Sunday has done more damage to our player base than anything I can recall.

The rebels will win outright or force change that in effect gives them victory. Why because essentially they are right.

Next year if reports I have seen are right soccer will have a second team in Brisbane and a third team in southern Sydney. Heaping more pressure on the Reds and Tahs and within four years both soccer and league will have new teams in Perth, this will help the Force no end.

I find the constant defence and excuse making for the ARU to be misguided as although Pulver has been successful in certain areas under his stewardship the loss of media presence, the loss of playing numbers, the huge number of volunteers who have walked away because of the Sunday move.

My take is Poppa Paddy or Popa Smurf or whatever name you wish to call him and those that support him are much closer to what happening on the ground that the ARU board.

SANDZZAR drums are beating to reduce even further our sides from 5 to 4 maybe even 3.

Viva the revolution, thank god it’s started … last post again for a while I kinda don't expect broad agreement but the rebels will win of that I am sure.

We are obviously light years apart in our views.

Popworth and Poidevin represent those of us who are not content with the current position of dying a slow death and being told how lucky we are to have a media management company tell us how to run our game in Australia.

Am I angry, yep, angry at the inept and often incompetent manner in which our park structures have been if possible made worst, angry at dialogue and discussion or lack of and how the process was done and I am so tempted to tell what I know about a Newcastle bid way back to join the NRC but a personal friendship stops me.

Management 101 says build a broad pyramid base, and develop up, we have such a top down . Our base is disappearing and we play the fiddle.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

The old coaltion of the unwilling, plus Eastwood it would seem.

Up here in God's country we're quite happy with the NRC - as evidenced by the fact that the 4 clubs had their NRC proposal in place before it was even advertised and the 4 clubs have continued to wholeheartedly support the competition. It's always been a long-term strategy - 2 hard years and semi-finalists in year 3.

I doubt you'd find much appetite for the alleged breakaway competition in this part of the world.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Oh right so in all the emails quoted by Zavos it was just four Clubs.

Your so bent on it being just those four "privileged" clubs you are blind to all else.

What about McBain and Hebert for starters. I didn't realise they played for a Sydney Club.

Hang on you're conflating things.

I'm supportive of highly regarded former players/coaches/administrators who wish to raise concerns about the direction of the game,having a delegation getting a full hearing from the ARU.
I'm deadset against a bunch of blokes wanting to storm the boardroom demanding that Bill choose between being stabbed or shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom