• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tier 3.5 - An Alternative NRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So. Part of the grass roots problem, for me anyway, is that the Sydney Premier division was largely established around the eastern strip. Breaking out of that to incorporate the subbies, or some of them, into Premier was not possible. And the bulk of non private school talent, is in the west.

I think that apart from being a gross over-simplification, it's also factually incorrect.

Parramatta are one of the oldest clubs in the Shute Shield, Warringah worked their way from subbies to 2nd division to SS over a number of years, as did Port Hacking (who are now the dominant partner in the Southern Districts Club), some of the older clubs such as Drummoyne encompassed working class areas but have actually moved back to subbies as demographics changed, both Hornsby and Macquarie University gained promotion from subbies to 1st division rugby but decided to go back and finally Penrith (formerly known as Nepean)gained promotion from subbies to SS over a number of years.

To this I would add that historically, clubs such as Manly had very little connection to private schools - most players came through club based juniors who went to local state high schools.

Yes, some clubs such as Gordon, Sydney Uni and Easts traditionally had strong links to private schools, based largely on geography.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Firstly there is the Wallaroos with unprecedented coverage.

Then there is the Bledislow, god help us.

And finally there is the NRC final. Kid yourself that no-one is interested. Hope Pap thinks the same.

Mate did you actually read what I posted? I actually mentioned all those games and why perhaps the timing is just a coincidence.

I am the last watcher in the group of blokes who used to watch every Super game (recorded if in Saffa land) and every test. Some of those blokes as I said still play the game but they have over the years given up their Foxtel and many don't even watch the tests FTA. How far the game has fallen when blokes who love the game enough to still be playing in their 40s don't watch it even FTA. So am I kidding myself? I don't think so. That is just the sort of response that has got Bill into the bind he find himself in now.

I'll will be watching the test and maybe the NRC because I am a tragic. How many tragics does it take to support the game.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sorry for this language. But fuck them and fuck Club Rugby if they do this. The ARU should make it very clear that it's the NRC or nothing for players. I won't be watching this bastardised attempt to screw the game over and I won't be watching the Shute Shield next season either.

Why would club rugby care what the ARU says. They have nothing to hold over them - not like they can threaten to cut their funding or anything like that. Pulver says club rugby isn't necessary to support the Wallaby's anyway, so why would he care?
They pretty much have already f***ed club rugby.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think that apart from being a gross over-simplification, it's also factually incorrect.

Parramatta are one of the oldest clubs in the Shute Shield, Warringah worked their way from subbies to 2nd division to SS over a number of years, as did Port Hacking (who are now the dominant partner in the Southern Districts Club), some of the older clubs such as Drummoyne encompassed working class areas but have actually moved back to subbies as demographics changed, both Hornsby and Macquarie University gained promotion from subbies to 1st division rugby but decided to go back and finally Penrith (formerly known as Nepean)gained promotion from subbies to SS over a number of years.

To this I would add that historically, clubs such as Manly had very little connection to private schools - most players came through club based juniors who went to local state high schools.

Yes, some clubs such as Gordon, Sydney Uni and Easts traditionally had strong links to private schools, based largely on geography.

I stand corrected.

By the way, I was interested in your thoughts that the Marlins might not care for the new proposal. Doubt its that simple, but its good to hear.

My history may be wrong, but a chance re-consider the Premier, from recollection with 2500 players to the broader subbies with 7500 (again on recollection) may be useful.

I stand by my view that the west of Sydney can be handled better. As I also grow firmly interested in the Marlins.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Why would club rugby care what the ARU says. They have nothing to hold them with. not like they can threaten to cut their funding or anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the clubs but the players. The ARU makes the point that the NRC is the pathway to higher honours. Won't be much of a revolt if all the best players are all playing in the NRC as they should be.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Hang on you're conflating things.

I'm supportive of highly regarded former players/coaches/administrators who wish to raise concerns about the direction of the game,having a delegation getting a full hearing from the ARU.

I'm deadset against a bunch of blokes wanting to storm the boardroom demanding that Bill choose between being stabbed or shot.

How long do you "raise" something for and get no where before you say F%$$^& It. At that point you either walk away and find something else to do or your take what ever action you can. Maybe its at that point.

As a person with no affiliation with a club or group apart from a sentimental attachment to Randwick I can say I have watched with no skin in the game apart from my love of Rugby. I say without any bias that the administration of all Unions in this country have for the most part been totally and utterly incompetent at best and self serving or possibly even corrupt in others.

It is not hard for me to imagine that others with direct attachments to clubs are at their wits end and being told something is the way forward by a Board and CEO you have no faith in and having that system forced upon you, year after year with that incompetence in the back of your mind. Would you continue.

Maybe the ARU would rather just see all these people walk away from the game altogether.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not the clubs but the players. The ARU makes the point that the NRC is the pathway to higher honours. Won't be much of a revolt if all the best players are all playing in the NRC as they should be.

Exactly..........

Any rebel competition won't have the players or the money to compete with the NRC............

There's no national appeal, and the broadcasters won't be interested.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
Exactly....

Any rebel competition won't have the players or the money to compete with the NRC....

There's no national appeal, and the broadcasters won't be interested.

All they need is the airfares, and extend their club rugby season back to the length it used to be. I reckon an interstate comp at the end of the season would be great. Real rugby without the hype and crap ads and $$$ spent on promotion. Build it, and they will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

With no help from the ARU.

Except for the funding for FTA coverage.

And the ARU paid Waratahs players who turned out in the competition.

And the lure of professional opportunities under the ARU banner that brought players like Irae Simone to club rugby.

And the benefit players from elite schoolboy and U20 systems got to bring to the Shute Shield.

What have the Romans done for us lately?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Papworth thinks he is speaking for the wider rugby public, but I really don't think he is. The response to my article today has been almost universally positive, which is rare on GGR and not what I was expecting.

I think there is certainly a hard, hard core of Shute Shield supporters willing to go to the wall with him, and these ex-players may well be in that constituency.

But the wider rugby public? I'm not sure at all they subscribe to these views. They are involved with juniors, or subbies, or in the regions. And that group looks to me to be far bigger than the one Papworth is speaking for.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
How long do you "raise" something for and get no where before you say F%$$^& It. At that point you either walk away and find something else to do or your take what ever action you can. Maybe its at that point.

As a person with no affiliation with a club or group apart from a sentimental attachment to Randwick I can say I have watched with no skin in the game apart from my love of Rugby. I say without any bias that the administration of all Unions in this country have for the most part been totally and utterly incompetent at best and self serving or possibly even corrupt in others.

It is not hard for me to imagine that others with direct attachments to clubs are at their wits end and being told something is the way forward by a Board and CEO you have no faith in and having that system forced upon you, year after year with that incompetence in the back of your mind. Would you continue.

Maybe the ARU would rather just see all these people walk away from the game altogether.

Could not agree more. I am angry, mad as hell at being constantly out managed by the other codes. The broad room battles we come in last once upon it was soccer but for a long while its us

A recent example and I fully understand rugby cannot copy this because of soccer's player base. But from an advertising watch and comment organisation. """ Mumbrella, which launched in December 2008, is a discussion of everything under Australia’s media and marketing umbrella."""

Look at what they say about the latest FFA advertising campain ask yourself when have we in living memory achieved anything close.

FFS look what they have done we are totally out smarted in the board rooms. Where is our Yoshsi

https://mumbrella.com.au/yoshi-campaign-done-wonders-football-league-tv-rights-talks-continue-403236

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

I don't think the 40 odd signatories, have been snubbed by the ARU time after time,when trying to get their viewpoint over.

Personally, I never play ultimatums,until all avenues have been explored,as it's hard to complete any project with ill feelings between parties.
And I absolutely make sure I'm in a position of strength.
They are threatening to burn Bill by setting fire to themselves in his proximity.

Let's just take Randwick as an example.
How many Tahs contracted players do they have?
How many aspiring players joined them for their 'connections'
How many and going to choose Wicks over Tahs?
How many Schoolboy rockstars do they have in colts?
How many will stay with Wicks if it threatens their state/ARU 20's spots?

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
With no help from the ARU.

Except for the funding for FTA coverage.

And the ARU paid Waratahs players who turned out in the competition.

And the lure of professional opportunities under the ARU banner that brought players like Irae Simone to club rugby.

And the benefit players from elite schoolboy and U20 systems got to bring to the Shute Shield.

What have the Romans done for us lately?
Oh sorry but drawing a long bow there. Super rugby clubs and the aru did not bring irae over. He wasnt getting anywhere in league and wanted a fresh start. His manager approached cron, he was promised nothing, and his belief and hsrd work, plus club rugby, got him noticed and his opportunity. Dont give the aru a wrap here using irae, he and club rugby deserve cudos.

Status
Not open for further replies.