• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC Round 1: South Africa v Australia, Sunday 21 July 1:05am AEST

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Quite a different setup from last year. Think we'll see Hooper playing much more of a fetcher/disrupter role with Naisarani playing the key defensive role.

Nais or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as the other 1 in the 1-3-3-1? I'd probably go LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) with Isi doing his work in closer in the pod. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and DHP trying to stop a counter on the edge could be a bit hard to watch. Not sure South Africa have the skills to get that happening to often but it's the stuff of nightmares against the All Blacks

If I was Sa I would be sending lots of action through the Kerevi/Foley channel to test if these defensive improvements stand up to test match pressure.

Having said all that it's a team that could be good, and needs to be tried

I wonder if we will move away from the 1-3-3-1 the wallabies have been talking up a new structure, and surprises for the world cup year..

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder if we will move away from the 1-3-3-1 the wallabies have been talking up a new structure, and surprises for the world cup year..
Wallabies leading innovation on the field? Anything's possible I guess.

The Rebels flat play structure may have been a bit of an audition, but that fell apart against good teams. The Brumbies and the other teams (with lesser degrees of discipline) still set up 1-3-3-1.

Cheiks is a good enough coach to do it, but not sure his new attack coach is the right man to be leading a radical overhaul (yet?)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Wallabies leading innovation on the field? Anything's possible I guess.

The Rebels flat play structure may have been a bit of an audition, but that fell apart against good teams. The Brumbies and the other teams (with lesser degrees of discipline) still set up 1-3-3-1.

Cheiks is a good enough coach to do it, but not sure his new attack coach is the right man to be leading a radical overhaul (yet?)

Berne isn't the attack coach, he was reported as such by some media but essentially he is there to work on players' individual skills. Cheika is running the backs and presumably the attack. Grey the defence I assume still :oops:. Byrne is taking over the lineout from Rawuli. I'm not really sure what the latter is doing now, general forwards shit I assume.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I have not seen anything this season to really understand why Dempsey would deserve to be in the match day 23 but maybe showed his true mettle in wallabies camp. We know he can play but since returning from injury yet to see his previous prowess come to the forefront. Same with To'omua who really has failed to capture the imagination. JOC (James O'Connor) might yet jump the queue ahead of To'omua.

In regards to Dempsey, I didn't see anything from him before his first stint in the gold jersey but he did come out and prove he should be there. Hopefully the same result this time.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In regards to Dempsey, I didn't see anything from him before his first stint in the gold jersey but he did come out and prove he should be there. Hopefully the same result this time.

Yeh if plays like he did then proves he should be there - otherwise Samu should be on the bench (as from memory injured at the moment which assume only why Dempsey got the gig).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With the current squad I think Dempsey is the only obvious bench loose forward. He covers 6 and 8 well and 7 at a pinch. Wright does the same but in reverse but my feeling is that he was never really a chance at getting selected unless it was to start at 7 because Hooper was injured.

Jones is obviously great cover for 6 and reasonable cover at lock but you'd be left in a complete bind if Hooper had to come off and similarly you have no real cover for number 8 given LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) doesn't play there either.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I agree. I've never seen him stand out for the Tahs but he has genuinely stepped up in a gold jersey. Hopefully more of the same. He could be one of those rare players that plays better for his country than his province/club.

I would still prefer Samu on the bench, though.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
On form I agree, but I thought he's actually performed pretty well on the wing for the Wallabies and he does bring an extra element to the team with his long range kicking. I'm ok with him getting a start. It's his spot to lose and there's a good chance he will lose it if he doesn't do what we want from our wingers (i.e. score tries).

In Hodge's favour is an uncanny ability to score tries despite carrying the running gait of a limping donkey and the pace to match it. 60m penalty goal options are another mark in his column.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hodge is a good footballer who won't lets us down, what we may lose in outright pace we gain in football ability, safe hands long kick, good defence and really he ain't slow

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In Hodge's favour is an uncanny ability to score tries despite carrying the running gait of a limping donkey and the pace to match it. 60m penalty goal options are another mark in his column.
Cant be any better than a 1/3 conversion rate though.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hodge is a good footballer who won't lets us down, what we may lose in outright pace we gain in football ability, safe hands long kick, good defence and really he ain't slow

I would add his effective work at the breakdown. Ball carriers inside or outside of his running lines know they can have a crack because Hodge will secure the ball after they have been tackled.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
the Boks are also short a few first choice blokes
Big call from Alan Jones in The Paywalian this morning.
Real leadership would say to the South African administration, we went to your country to play the best you have to offer. You have chosen to do otherwise. We are insulted and offended, therefore, we are coming home. Find a third XV of your own to play your second XV.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Big call from Alan Jones in The Paywalian this morning.
Real leadership would say to the South African administration, we went to your country to play the best you have to offer. You have chosen to do otherwise. We are insulted and offended, therefore, we are coming home. Find a third XV of your own to play your second XV.
He's such a pain in the arse. The man takes exception to everything and anything. I'm surprised he hasn't spoken out against vegimite fucking toast being too salty.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree. I've never seen him stand out for the Tahs but he has genuinely stepped up in a gold jersey. Hopefully more of the same. He could be one of those rare players that plays better for his country than his province/club.

I would still prefer Samu on the bench, though.

I can accept the notion that Dempsey provides most cover for all back three spots, but I am a little perplexed by the many expressions of his great form for the Wallabies. It is my recollection that he won MOTM in his first test match, but also my impression that he didn't play to that level in later test matches. I think there is a lot of optimism being expressed about just how good he really is.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
He's such a pain in the arse. The man takes exception to everything and anything. I'm surprised he hasn't spoken out against vegimite fucking toast being too salty.

Of more recent time, he's making the "old man yells at cloud" meme his own. Can anyone remember a time where he didn't use his Friday "column" to Rant about RA?

Like most people, I try to ignore his feverish gibbering and focus on the things that matter in Rugby.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I can accept the notion that Dempsey provides most cover for all back three spots, but I am a little perplexed by the many expressions of his great form for the Wallabies. It is my recollection that he won MOTM in his first test match, but also my impression that he didn't play to that level in later test matches. I think there is a lot of optimism being expressed about just how good he really is.

To be fair that's a pretty handy reason to be pumping his tyres

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He was in fine form till he tore whatever muscle it was off the bone. He was the form backrower until that stupid Baabaas game.

I think Samu is better, to be fair. But you could say the exact opposite of Samu. He's put in some great performances at Super level but hes never been a standout at test.