• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC Round 1: South Africa v Australia, Sunday 21 July 1:05am AEST

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Hodge is a good footballer who won't lets us down, what we may lose in outright pace we gain in football ability, safe hands long kick, good defence and really he ain't slow

Sounds like all the characteristics of a good fullback playing out of position to me.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Big call from Alan Jones in The Paywalian this morning.
Real leadership would say to the South African administration, we went to your country to play the best you have to offer. You have chosen to do otherwise. We are insulted and offended, therefore, we are coming home. Find a third XV of your own to play your second XV.

Stick to driving racing cars, Alan. ;)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sounds like all the characteristics of a good fullback playing out of position to me.
Except he isnt that great at fullback.

I suspect (though i hope not) the bloke will never be 'great' in any particular position.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Does anyone else think White is a spectacularly odd choice? I appreciate he's played well (when he's started) at Exeter, but it seems ill-advised to select him on that basis, given the competition he's playing in is probably below Super Rugby standard. I wouldn't even have him in the squad ahead of Gordon, Powell or McDermott.
Another Phipps hater.

S

Show-n-go

Our team is as much a B team as SA’s is, I don’t get all the media hype. Listening too much to the SA coach me thinks

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Our team is as much a B team as SA’s is, I don’t get all the media hype. Listening too much to the SA coach me thinks

I'm thinking you're right in your assertion.
Which Wallabies would be considered the No1 choice for their positions on current form but whom are not playing against the Springbok?

Allan Ala'alatoa
Scott Sio
Will Genia
Christian Lealifano
Jack Maddocks
Marika Koroibete
Kurtley Beale

Cheika claims injury problems for a majority of the above, but probably really niggles if they are available for next week against Argentina. Maddocks returned to Aussi for a club game for match fitness and Koroibete for family reasons. I wonder. If this was a RWC elimination game, you could bet your socks they would be playing.
So this test tonight is a matter for the coaches/selectors looking at fringe players in both the Springbok & the Wallabies squads, and also you will find for both sides, they will pick their best teams when each of them play the All Blacks, because therein lies the litmus test for the RWC.
So in this regard i.e. 'the media hype re Springbok B team', chalk a win up to Cheika over Erasmus for avoiding contraversy

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I have always liked having one of the wings being a second 15, in this team we have 3 15s in the back 3

Possibly to limit the kicking options available to the Boks and to compensate for the loss of he who can not be named

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I have always liked having one of the wings being a second 15, in this team we have 3 15s in the back 3

Possibly to limit the kicking options available to the Boks and to compensate for the loss of he who can not be named

A bit by default too due to Koroibete having to come home. A few of us commented at the time the squad was released about the lack of a second strike winger. However, it could be a bit of knowing what Speight & Naivalu offer and seeing if someone else is more deserving of a squad spot come September.

All that said I don't mind this as an experiment. Cheika has made it pretty clear that Banks & Beale are playing off for the fullback spot, and I think the other aspect to that is wanting to see how Beale and Banks work together, so I reckon one of DHP or Hodge will come off, not Banks.

tragic

John Solomon (38)

I think 3 is one too many. We have little strike power or finishing ability in our back 3 and it’s hard to see where our line breaks are going to come. Set piece play will be ok but kick returns, turnover ball etc wont be that threatening. Perhaps they’re planning on playing for territory but we don’t have the goal kicking reliability to pull that one off, Can’t see any of the top sides being troubled by that lineup.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A bit by default too due to Koroibete having to come home. A few of us commented at the time the squad was released about the lack of a second strike winger. However, it could be a bit of knowing what Speight & Naivalu offer and seeing if someone else is more deserving of a squad spot come September.

All that said I don't mind this as an experiment. Cheika has made it pretty clear that Banks & Beale are playing off for the fullback spot, and I think the other aspect to that is wanting to see how Beale and Banks work together, so I reckon one of DHP or Hodge will come off, not Banks.
But what of Pulu?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think 3 is one too many. We have little strike power or finishing ability in our back 3 and it’s hard to see where our line breaks are going to come. Set piece play will be ok but kick returns, turnover ball etc wont be that threatening. Perhaps they’re planning on playing for territory but we don’t have the goal kicking reliability to pull that one off, Can’t see any of the top sides being troubled by that lineup.

That old chestnut ;)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
For this fact I probably would have gone 11 Banks 15 Beale 14 DHP if I was selecting the side, for all his faults Beale can sniff out a opportunity that or JOC (James O'Connor) would have got one of the positions, Hodge on the bench.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
For this fact I probably would have gone 11 Banks 15 Beale 14 DHP if I was selecting the side, for all his faults Beale can sniff out a opportunity that or JOC (James O'Connor) would have got one of the positions, Hodge on the bench.
I reckon that’s the 2nd half plan

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Does anyone know what time the match is being replayed tomorrow morning, either on Fox or 10?

Insomnia as bad as it is, don't think I can stay awake.