• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC Round 1: South Africa v Australia, Sunday 21 July 1:05am AEST

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I agree. I've never seen him stand out for the Tahs but he has genuinely stepped up in a gold jersey. Hopefully more of the same. He could be one of those rare players that plays better for his country than his province/club.

I would still prefer Samu on the bench, though.
Samu's perfect for that bench spot, covers 6-7-8 really well, and usually brings it as a super sub.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
This is one of the weakest Bok teams I've seen and in reality should be put to the sword. Pretty embarrassing if we lose this one, which no doubt we will find a way to.

I can see a pretty one dimensional lumbering forward game running one of the ruck with the odd Kerevi run in midfield. Any momentum will be most likely be squandered by the halves with box kicks and bombs. I can't see the ball moving past Kuridrani anyway so we'll be spared the sight of the sedate wingers wasting quality pill.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
This is one of the weakest Bok teams I've seen and in reality should be put to the sword. Pretty embarrassing if we lose this one, which no doubt we will find a way to.

I can see a pretty one dimensional lumbering forward game running one of the ruck with the odd Kerevi run in midfield. Any momentum will be most likely be squandered by the halves with box kicks and bombs. I can't see the ball moving past Kuridrani anyway so we'll be spared the sight of the sedate wingers wasting quality pill.

Cheer up FG, it's Friday!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Altitude.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Does anyone else think White is a spectacularly odd choice? I appreciate he's played well (when he's started) at Exeter, but it seems ill-advised to select him on that basis, given the competition he's playing in is probably below Super Rugby standard. I wouldn't even have him in the squad ahead of Gordon, Powell or McDermott.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is this Springboks side actually that weak compared to what they could have picked?

Le Roux will presumably replace Gelant at fullback next week.
De Allende will probably replace Esterhuizen next week but I'm not sure he's really better.
Pollard will replace Jantjies but Jantjies has been preferred at various times in recent years.
Du Klerk is a clear first choice at 9.
Kwagga Smith will come into the best 23.
At least one of Mostert and Snyman will be in their best 23 and possibly both but Etzebeth and De Jager could easily be their preferred starting locks come RWC time.
Marx is clearly the first choice hooker.
Kitshoff and Malherbe are probably both in their best 23 and missing from this game.

Dyantyi, Whitely and Kolisi are all out injured who are probably first choice 23 players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does anyone else think White is a spectacularly odd choice? I appreciate he's played well (when he's started) at Exeter, but it seems ill-advised to select him on that basis, given the competition he's playing in is probably below Super Rugby standard. I wouldn't even have him in the squad ahead of Gordon, Powell or McDermott.

I think Cheika needs a decent look at him to work out if he's as good as the recent hype.

I feel like the halfback race is still pretty open and if White or Powell falter badly then old faithful Fanga will come back into the reckoning.

You could almost guarantee Genia will start next week.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
I think Cheika needs a decent look at him to work out if he's as good as the recent hype.

I feel like the halfback race is still pretty open and if White or Powell falter badly then old faithful Fanga will come back into the reckoning.

You could almost guarantee Genia will start next week.

Yeah that's a sound argument, fair enough. Find out what he's capable of and make a call early; makes sense.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Bookies still have Boks B team as raging favourites and given our record in SA I am not game to take the nice odds on a Wallabies win

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Hopefully he has moved beyond just kicking the shit out of it at the most inopportune moments

But I do expect to try to box kick to death the Boks

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Frankly I don't think the English league is that bad. We had our reservations about Faf returning too and look how that turned out. They managed to teach him how to kick in a season which somehow our own coaches here could never do.

Therefore I am fairly optimistic for Cobus Reinach as well. Both himself and Faf were nominated for the Premiership player of the year this past season - therefore we can probably say in SA that our top two 9s are both playing overseas.

Have a look at some of the premiership teams' player rosters, there's SH class to be seen everywhere. The big difference there is the pace of the game mostly due to the weather, which forces already good players to become better in skills they would otherwise neglect in the SH.

Halfbacks kicking better and props scrummaging better are two examples.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

I reckon it's purely to see his worth pre World Cup.