• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC Round 2: Australia vs Argentina @ Brisbane - Saturday 27 July 2019

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I can’t believe Rod Kafer. His rugby brain is proclaimed by most but finished last night by saying that he didn’t realise how good Isi Naisarani was. That his performance had surprised him. This on the back of him (and a few other ‘experts’) not picking him in their anticipated Wallaby squads a couple of weeks ago.

I mean this guy is paid to be a rugby expert. . By a few organisations.

What didn’t he see in Isi? He stood out in club footy up here, but I can forgive him for that. But then he was one of the best in the NRC in his debut year. Then he stepped up and was one of the Force’s best in his first year of Super Rugby. He was again one of the Rebel’s best this year (their player of the year?). Every year he’s been challenged by a new level of rugby and every year he’s excelled.

He plays in the backrow which is a position we’ve been crying out for the right balance and he specifically plays a position, in a way, that we’ve struggled to fill since Kefu retired in 03.

I mean I realised how good he was 3 years ago. I’m sure I’m not Robinson Crusoe there.

I just can’t believe that these so called experts can be so naive to his abilities.

Kafe may not have noticed as he doesn't play for the ponies, he only really has two thing on his mind his love of the ponies and his hatred of the Tahs

Naisarani has been the best Aus 8 for ages

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Also, well done on the kicking by CLL, might've been easy kicks, but he nailed them anyway.

Not sure I agree - he seems to have a sweeping motion where the ball moves across the face of the goal. That might work most of the time but I would prefer a more direct action and trajectory ie really "nailing it".

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Pretty massive change in attack structure yesterday. Genia and White were clearly making the play. I reckon it's a much better setup and suits our players.

Looking at the stats, the 9s passed 71 times last night and 69 times against South Africa

Foley passes 28 times and ran it 13. CLL passed just 9 times and ran it 6 (To'omua was 7 and 6). ESPN stats

Thanks for that Strewth.

I’m not convinced it’s good though. There were times when Genia was taking far too many steps before the pass. If the keying into the backline is happening 50-50 at 9 and 10; and obviously close to 100% to the pigs— well it’s not the sort of thing that top RWC strategists and HCs should have trouble unpicking. Last night he got caught in rucks much more often than I remember previously. And the pigs did not look like they had a well-worn drill around this (did well on the spot just didn’t look highly trained).

The Llea story is sensational and the relief that we have a 10 option is palpable. But I would not be turning from Foley yet. And I’d be digging ing this game strategy that has WG at 9.9. I like it so far, but I’m hoping the homework has been done for when competitive strategies hit us.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’d say it’s 50/50 still between Lealiifano and Foley, they will probably play one each in the Bledisloes. What I do know though is that whichever of the two doesn’t start needs to be on the bench.
I get the logic - but I hope Cheika picks what he thinks is his best team for both Bledisloes.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think we will play our best team for both ABs matches and against Samoa it’ll be squad players

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Argentina just broke the record for most turnovers, 30, in a TRC game (I think?!) so any assesment of players or systems does need to take that into account. Good teams won't be so generous

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I can’t believe Rod Kafer. His rugby brain is proclaimed by most but finished last night by saying that he didn’t realise how good Isi Naisarani was. That his performance had surprised him. This on the back of him (and a few other ‘experts’) not picking him in their anticipated Wallaby squads a couple of weeks ago.

What didn’t he see in Isi? He stood out in club footy up here, but I can forgive him for that. But then he was one of the best in the NRC in his debut year. Then he stepped up and was one of the Force’s best in his first year of Super Rugby. He was again one of the Rebel’s best this year (their player of the year?). Every year he’s been challenged by a new level of rugby and every year he’s excelled.

He plays in the backrow which is a position we’ve been crying out for the right balance and he specifically plays a position, in a way, that we’ve struggled to fill since Kefu retired in 03.

I mean I realised how good he was 3 years ago. I’m sure I’m not Robinson Crusoe there.

I just can’t believe that these so called experts can be so naive to his abilities.

With you on that Reg. I was calling for him to be selected as soon as eligible on the strength of that season with the Force. His ball running was and is exactly what the Wallabies have been needing for a long time.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I'd be tempted to try JOC (James O'Connor) at 13 outside Kerevi. I think that Kuridrani gets a bit of a free pass from some, and while his defense is quite strong I don't think he's broken a tackle in 3 years. The only issue is that I'm not sure an All Blacks game is the time to do it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Yes that was an odd comment indeed, makes you wonder

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Kuridrani is struggling to find his place in the current backline, you can see him trying to run lines off Kerevi, but they just don't have the cohesion to make it work.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Kuridrani is struggling to find his place in the current backline, you can see him trying to run lines off Kerevi, but they just don't have the cohesion to make it work.

They used to play backyard rugby together when they were kids, so they really should have a bit of an understanding between them???

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
For me, Lealiifano was the clear winner out of the flyhalves I've seen. I don't know how you got to 50/50.
I'm not a Foley fan (don't hate him mind), but you've got to consider context. Foley was average against a dominant Bok pack at altitude. CLL was a bit better at home against a non dominant Argie pack. Apples and oranges.
I’m with ForceField. CLL was by no means a standout and his attack stats are poor. Foley had good attack stats but poor defensive stats because the boks ran their big blokes at him. Both kicked at 100%. I know how you get to ‘clear winner’ sully. Both warrant further investigation and as I said both need to be in the 23. I don’t actually mind which is decided on as the starter at this stage.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They used to play backyard rugby together when they were kids, so they really should have a bit of an understanding between them???

Are we really expecting cohesion built during backyard football from 10 years ago to translate to test rugby today?