• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC Round 2: Australia vs Argentina @ Brisbane - Saturday 27 July 2019

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
General observations:

Scrum was impressive - 5 scrum penalties, probably the most since the infamous GAGR campaign of the 2015 RWC.
Fantastic to see Lealiifano back at 10 in a Wallabies jersey. Considering it's 3 years since the news of his illness dropped, to make it back to international level is impressive. He lead the backline well and shame it lost it's shape when he went off.
I think Hodge is a good player but getting shunted around the backline in another position isn't helping his cause to nail a permanent position down.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I dearly hope we put the idea of To'omua or Beale at 10 to bed. Neither of them can do it.

Tight 5 really stepped up this match. Also liked the aggression Latu, Naisarani and Tupou brought without going overboard.

Genia was MotM for me. Great performance.

I think a few subtle changes will really push this team on. Leave Lilo on for the match. I think Beale and MK have 11 and 15 locked up. I'd like to see Banks run on at 14 instead of Hodge. I would also take LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as the back up lock and put someone else in at 6, preferably Samu.

Didn;t think we got to see enough of Jones or JOC (James O'Connor) to judge.

Thank you I forgot. Less indicative in the backs than the forwards but 15 is 15. JOC (James O'Connor) nothing.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Thank you I forgot. Less indicative in the backs than the forwards but 15 is 15. JOC (James O'Connor) nothing.

Maybe its the curse of the 13 jersey, players have been pretty uneventful in that position recently.

For me, JOC (James O'Connor) should be tried at 15 or 12. But Kerevi is locked down at 12, and both Beale and Banks solid options at 15.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Maybe its the curse of the 13 jersey, players have been pretty uneventful in that position recently.

For me, JOC (James O'Connor) should be tried at 15 or 12. But Kerevi is locked down at 12, and both Beale and Banks solid options at 15.

Thanks, I wasn't sure where JOC (James O'Connor) was playing and absolutely 13 can get isolated.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So we won the game and that's awesome. But....its opened as many questions as to where is the best position for a player to play. In a World Cup year, not having your team 90% bedded down is a problem. Its been a problem in Australian Rugby for a long time.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So we won the game and that's awesome. But..its opened as many questions as to where is the best position for a player to play. In a World Cup year, not having your team 90% bedded down is a problem. Its been a problem in Australian Rugby for a long time.
Like who?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Probably because whoever is at 13 has been playing outside Kerevi at 12. Distribution is certainly not his strong point.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So we won the game and that's awesome. But..its opened as many questions as to where is the best position for a player to play. In a World Cup year, not having your team 90% bedded down is a problem. Its been a problem in Australian Rugby for a long time.

I think it's answered some too and given some confidence in some positions:
Props looking good in Sio/Slipper, now Tupou
Hookers solid enough in Fainga and Latu
Arnold a lock in
Naisarini a lock in now - this is a question answered
Kerevi a lock in
Genia/White both good
Beale/Banks - both solid options.
Lilo looking like the option at 10.

It's not that bad.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Probably because whoever is at 13 has been playing outside Kerevi at 12. Distribution is certainly not his strong point.

He is offloading like a man possessed tho, the 13 just needs to be in position to receive one.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Just need to sort out our other winger. I don't recall Hodge kicking the ball once? might be wrong.

I wouldn't hate seeing two strike wingers with proper pace on.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Just need to sort out our other winger. I don't recall Hodge kicking the ball once? might be wrong.

I wouldn't hate seeing two strike wingers with proper pace on.

Surprised Banks wasn't tried at wing. Could easily go Beale 15, Banks wing. (although personally I'd prefer Banks 15, Beale Bench, a new winger brought in)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
1. To'omua had a shocker. Huge step down once Lilo was off. A lot of it seemed to be communication issues. Makes me wonder how much bench variation gets a run at training because it looked like they’d never played together.

2. Defense was better but geez dunno how that’ll fare against other top tier nations.

3. Get Laurie in there to clean up the defensive and attacking ruck work. Sloppy and we’re missing opportunities. Will get smashed against better teams particularly NH and ABs.

Lineout and scrum were awesome. Genia, Rodda, Arnold, White, Nisirani and Koro locked themselves in for starting team if continuing to play like they did tonight. Hoping Samu gets back in as a bench back row cover because his form at end of super rugby was huge and provides coverage across 6, 7 and 8.

Yep after Lilo's great Super Rugby season all were waiting to see if could deliver it at test level. He did and is a lock for RWC squad place and for me To'omua at this point competing with JOC (James O'Connor) for a RWC squad place. But yes the 12 minutes JOC (James O'Connor) got gave us nothing to show whether JOC (James O'Connor) up for it. For me To'omua should be dropped out of 23 for next match, keep JOC (James O'Connor) on the bench but bring him on earlier to see what he is up for. But at this point Lilo could be pushing for place on the bench as 10/12 cover for RWC given what saw tonight.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Commentators were quick to heap praise on the coaching staff and say the stars are aligning, Cheika says now ready challenge All Blacks (1). This is after Australia (6) gets belted by the Springboks (5), they scrape in against Argentina (10). I would liek to see some semblance of consistent execution before we start praising new structures, as the current results could easily be put down to the quality of opposition. Did that Wallabies play better? or are Argentina not as effective as shutting them down as the Sprinboks? Potentially, maybe, we will see. Let's hold judgement for now.

Anyway - far to much ass kissing from Foxsports team on the back of a huge loss to a half B team, and a narrow win over a Country ranked 10th.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Certainly it wasn't a win for the ages and we have a long way to go.

Game plans are one thing, but if players continue to give up ball easily it makes it hard to consistently apply pressure.

However, I think there are some clear positives that can be taken out of the first two games -

- we have abandoned the previous defense structure. IMO that is as significant as any other issue/selection. We still have some way to go in applying defensive pressure, but I thought we looked as good defensively last night in a long time with the one off exception of the first test v Ireland last year
- Naisarani has shown he can step up to this level. Looks the goods.
- Our set piece suddenly looks much better. Not really sure on some of the lineout calls last night (ie the throws over the back) but we have 4 genuine options and suddenly our line out is an add not a minus. Who would have thunk. Mind you, I expect the ABs to apply the blow torch here
- Genia played well last night and Nic White has been good both weeks. It gives another dimension to our attack
- Lealiifano was good last night. I'd like to see him hold his spot. I don't personally think there is much difference but I think he looks the better option to me
- Beale has been good at the back. Next week I'd like to see Banks on the wing in place of Hodge and I think that could be a pretty strong back 3

The other thing for me is the work of our centres. Kerevi is in career best form and has carried that to the Wallabies. On the flip side, TK has appeared a bit quiet. No doubt Kerevi's games style is contributing to that. I just think we need to give it a bit of time. Kerevi showed this year he can set up guys around him. TK is a proven try scorer and strong defender. The are both class players but they've still only played a handful of games together.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Commentators were quick to heap praise on the coaching staff and say the stars are aligning, Cheika says now ready challenge All Blacks (1). This is after Australia (6) gets belted by the Springboks (5), they scrape in against Argentina (10). I would liek to see some semblance of consistent execution before we start praising new structures, as the current results could easily be put down to the quality of opposition. Did that Wallabies play better? or are Argentina not as effective as shutting them down as the Sprinboks? Potentially, maybe, we will see. Let's hold judgement for now.

Anyway - far to much ass kissing from Foxsports team on the back of a huge loss to a half B team, and a narrow win over a Country ranked 10th.

He can't say "mate, we are screwed, lets hope we can keep the margin within 20" and the commentators need to up-sell us to get more people watching

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’d say it’s 50/50 still between Lealiifano and Foley, they will probably play one each in the Bledisloes. What I do know though is that whichever of the two doesn’t start needs to be on the bench.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I can’t believe Rod Kafer. His rugby brain is proclaimed by most but finished last night by saying that he didn’t realise how good Isi Naisarani was. That his performance had surprised him. This on the back of him (and a few other ‘experts’) not picking him in their anticipated Wallaby squads a couple of weeks ago.

I mean this guy is paid to be a rugby expert. . By a few organisations.

What didn’t he see in Isi? He stood out in club footy up here, but I can forgive him for that. But then he was one of the best in the NRC in his debut year. Then he stepped up and was one of the Force’s best in his first year of Super Rugby. He was again one of the Rebel’s best this year (their player of the year?). Every year he’s been challenged by a new level of rugby and every year he’s excelled.

He plays in the backrow which is a position we’ve been crying out for the right balance and he specifically plays a position, in a way, that we’ve struggled to fill since Kefu retired in 03.

I mean I realised how good he was 3 years ago. I’m sure I’m not Robinson Crusoe there.

I just can’t believe that these so called experts can be so naive to his abilities.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty massive change in attack structure yesterday. Genia and White were clearly making the play. I reckon it's a much better setup and suits our players.

Looking at the stats, the 9s passed 71 times last night and 69 times against South Africa

Foley passes 28 times and ran it 13. CLL passed just 9 times and ran it 6 (To'omua was 7 and 6). ESPN stats