• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TT Rd 3: Blues vs ACT Brumbies

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Robinson obviously gives zero bothers about the sanitised PR interview training.

> Wilson: "The scoreboard says it was 38-10. Did it really feel like that on the field?"
> Robinson: "Yeah it did."

Then follows it up by describing Christie's run "like a ginger running from the sun". lol. Just let him do the interviews regardless of who the actual captain is.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
It's a good bunch of forwards to bring off the bench. Backs less so. Think/hope there will be a more measured approach to the Brumbies, like there was against the Rebels, instead of the more aggressive/hectic approach used against the Waratahs. Play a heavy territory game, accumulate points, attack the scrum (and lineout?), force them into catch up rugby in the second half then go for the bonus point.

Of course that would require the donkeys to concentrate for decent amount of time in the face of stern opposition, so who knows what will happen.

So the donkeys did manage it in the face of stern opposition. Fair play to them. Pls just copy/paste this approach for the next two matches and we'll have the best possible chance of making the final.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So the donkeys did manage it in the face of stern opposition. Fair play to them. Pls just copy/paste this approach for the next two matches and we'll have the best possible chance of making the final.

Crusaders actually look like missing out given they, somehow, didnt manage to win by 50 against the Brumbies in the first week.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I’m not too worried from a Wallaby perspective, it’s our depth that is the problem, our best 23 is up there with the best. But this is easily the worst performance from an Aussie team so far in the TT, and that’s saying something, and it’s a worry <<< Edit: if we are to persist with the TT route that is
Recent evidence might not bear this out.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Crusaders actually look like missing out given they, somehow, didnt manage to win by 50 against the Brumbies in the first week.

I, for one, would enjoy the tsunami of tears that would flow into the Avon and Waimakariri rivers if the Crusaders won every match yet failed to make the final on bonus points or, better yet, points differential. Especially if it was in the Blues favour. I dunno if even Gunston engineering could build a Kearns tear dam large enough to contain it all.

It'd be like the cricket world cup countback, but in favour of the good guys.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
This was pretty ordinary brumbies.they are not playing anywhere near there best

Sadly I think its closer to the mark of where the Brumbies are actually at. Overall, they are slow and passive and I am starting to wonder about the S & C program. I though the amount of injuries were just bad luck but at this point they look like a spent team.

Not playing the Kiwis has caused Aussie rugby to regress back to its default standard of the over structed forwards orientated game. It looks like we have been coached back in to that style which is a worry. Sorry Rob Sieb; I know it your first year, but the attack has been really, really poor.

Specifically for the Brumbies, they are back to their old habits of slow and over structed and needing to play a control and territory game. We seemed to have gone back to what hurting us. It's similar to a few years ago when as soon as we hit a Kiwi team their backs just pantsed us, and we just could not keep up with he pace they played at. It really looked like we had turned the corner pre-COVID and were competing with the Kiwi teams. The Brumbies were playing very differently; ball in hand, running and being creative and playing at a higher tempo. Ironically it was after White left and we lost the kicking boots and a lot of experience. I am not sure it coincidence, but the slowness and kicking is back and we just wont chance our hand and run the ball like we had learned to do really well as COVID was hitting.

It hurt to watch players static in attack, little speed or passion, the softness up front and just poor choices. It also looks like we have persisted with selecting players who are not in form.

Lots to work on and we just need to learn how to play a game in broken play, not just off set piece.

As for D Murph, he is an entity in himself. I am impressed how he can find ways to penalise teams, especially the Brumbies, with new penalties and infringements that we have not seen previously this season.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Incorrect. Being up there with the best IMO means being in the top 4 in the world, and although we aren’t currently in the top 4 right now we most certainly are up there.
I disagree. Our best 23 against the best 23 for other top tier nations.........I think we justify our recent usual spot around 6 or so. Beating NZ once every 10 times or so doesn't put us up there with them.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I disagree. Our best 23 against the best 23 for other top tier nations...I think we justify our recent usual spot around 6 or so. Beating NZ once every 10 times or so doesn't put us up there with them.

If we don’t get through this year with a ranking of at least 4 I will agree with you. But I reckon we will.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The Brumbies recent performances are really worrying. Looking very tired and lackadaisical, perhaps disinterested. Couple that with so many of the younger players leaving at the end of the year and it seems there might be some unrest in the camp.

At the very least, it is beyond time for Harry Lloyd to replace Scott Sio in the starting XV. Scott may be stronger around the ground, but Harry seems to hold the scrum together better and that's where the issues start early in the game.

Really a very poor outing tonight.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I'll be there but my expectations are low against the broken field attacking play of the Hurricanes. The poor handling the Brumbies are suffering from will play right into the Canes hands.

Reactions: mst

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'll be there but my expectations are low against the broken field attacking play of the Hurricanes. The poor handling the Brumbies are suffering from will play right into the Canes hands.

Your lot were shite tonight but we all know they are better than that and the problems are fixable. As opposed to just having a weak squad. Have faith, like the Reds they’ll come good, reckon they are good for a win or two in the final rounds.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
I, for one, would enjoy the tsunami of tears that would flow into the Avon and Waimakariri rivers if the Crusaders won every match yet failed to make the final on bonus points or, better yet, points differential.

Sometimes Cantabs fail to adequately foreplan and calculate potential outcomes in the rarefied air of top-of-the-table bonus point permutations.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Always seemed like an odd time to rest Ofa, but Renata is probably our weakest scrummaging prop and is now off side with the ref. Would like to see Laulala on quick time.

EDIT: There we go.

Ofa wasn't rested. He was injured.

Agreed that Brumbies attack was really poor. Tahs and Reds have the two best attacks of the Aus teams by far.

Blues defence is nice and physical though. Good stuff.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
If we don’t get through this year with a ranking of at least 4 I will agree with you. But I reckon we will.

If we somehow end up top 4, it will be on the back of beating a third string French side because they CBF spending two weeks in our finest hotels (Formula 1)

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
If we somehow end up top 4, it will be on the back of beating a third string French side because they CBF spending two weeks in our finest hotels (Formula 1)

The other caveat is that the Saffers actually jeopardise their #1 ranking by playing someone other than the Lions. If we beat NZ and SAF once each, flog the French, and have an Ok spring tour we can be #4 easily enough. I don’t care if the French are sending a weak squad, that’s their problem and no one gives us any mercy when we have a run of injuries.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies were just terrible……….

I know we’re missing some good players, but, yeesh………

And I also think Peter Hewat was a big loss - last year we resembled more of a Kiwi team in our attack, and this year we look like an Aussie team.