• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TT Rd 3: Blues vs ACT Brumbies

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Yes. The difference between the Hewat attack and that being put out now is stark. I'm wondering too if there is a bit of dissatisfaction with the Seib plan among the players. Some don't look to have their heart in it.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Your lot were shite tonight but we all know they are better than that and the problems are fixable. As opposed to just having a weak squad. Have faith, like the Reds they’ll come good, reckon they are good for a win or two in the final rounds.

I would love them to win but I am not feeling confident. The Chiefs game might be a good indication of how they have regressed. They went in with a forwards orientated game plan, got owned as they are slow and soft but incredibly they couldn't / wouldn't adapt and change plan. The absences of the backs was fairly evident.

In contrast, in the Reds v Chiefs one of the key differences was the Reds actually used their backs.

When you look at the TT stats it is fairly obvious there is something very wrong at the Brumbies and they could have fallen off the cliff. (BR / Slim - you could be right with suggesting unrest in the camp).

In TT the Brumbies are ranked (thus far):
  • 1st at lineout
  • 2nd at the scrum
  • 8th in tries
  • 7th in clean breaks
  • 8th in carries
  • 7th in metres
  • 7th in defenders beaten
  • 7th in tackles won
  • Last (8th) for rucks won
The stats are really indicating the Brumbies have become over structed and over reliant on set piece. Its a major problem and not easily solved.

Considering the backs we have I can't help but ask WTF is going on?

I am also thinking we need to look squarely at the coaching cohort; especially the attack coach.

[PS: for those conspiracy theorists, yes, Seib is a Queenslander! :eek:]

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I would love them to win but I am not feeling confident. The Chiefs game might be a good indication of how they have regressed. They went in with a forwards orientated game plan, got owned as they are slow and soft but incredibly they couldn't / wouldn't adapt and change plan. The absences of the backs was fairly evident.

In contrast, in the Reds v Chiefs one of the key differences was the Reds actually used their backs.

When you look at the TT stats it is fairly obvious there is something very wrong at the Brumbies and they could have fallen off the cliff. (BR / Slim - you could be right with suggesting unrest in the camp).

In TT the Brumbies are ranked (thus far):
  • 1st at lineout
  • 2nd at the scrum
  • 8th in tries
  • 7th in clean breaks
  • 8th in carries
  • 7th in metres
  • 7th in defenders beaten
  • 7th in tackles won
  • Last (8th) for rucks won
The stats are really indicating the Brumbies have become over structed and over reliant on set piece. Its a major problem and not easily solved.

Considering the backs we have I can't help but ask WTF is going on?

I am also thinking we need to look squarely at the coaching cohort; especially the attack coach.

[PS: for those conspiracy theorists, yes, Seib is a Queenslander! :eek:]

Based on the 30 odd minutes i saw of the last game i thought the Brumbies made the gainline in maybe 10% of their runs. All possession had them backpeddling. Any back that was sorry enough to get his hands on the ball had three defenders hitting them from three different angles.

Maybe your set piece is the only thing holding it together, and it's not that you are overly dependent on it. Your pack got absolutely monstered by the Blues around the park.

Reactions: mst

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
To me the Brums attack is predictable. It works bullying weaker opposition, But what happens when your scrum gets dominated and the opposition negates the rolling maul? White is good at game management behind a solid set piece, but to me he lacks that unpredictability that keeps the opposition guessing.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Simone is a dud. Play dies with him.

I certainly don't think he is a dud but he does run hot and cold. Unless he is running through trying to break the line is very ineffectual TBH. It was the key change in his game that made ne shift my opinion of him nad i can only hope he doesn't fall back to his lazy past habits.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
To me the Brums attack is predictable. It works bullying weaker opposition, But what happens when your scrum gets dominated and the opposition negates the rolling maul? White is good at game management behind a solid set piece, but to me he lacks that unpredictability that keeps the opposition guessing.

I cannot agree with this more. I love him as a player, but as a past player. We looked so much better after he left, we had speed, it was more heads up stuff and unpredictable.

I am on record saying that I wasn't a fan of his return and taking him back was a risk that if realised (which I suspect is part of the problem), could regress the Brumbies back to the bad old ways.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think Simone is a dud. Play dies with him.

Hain't been the case up until this year Dct. Looks to me to be a problem with the game plan. Lolesio is also struggling and the attack through the 10 and 12 is missing. Ikitau is suffering by not getting good quick ball. Banks and Wright seem to be the only ones making forward progress.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hain't been the case up until this year Dct. Looks to me to be a problem with the game plan. Lolesio is also struggling and the attack through the 10 and 12 is missing. Ikitau is suffering by not getting good quick ball. Banks and Wright seem to be the only ones making forward progress.

Seems to be a bit of confusion doesn't there BR. When you watch the Brumbies most of this year, there is not the same pattern or even a strong pattern of how they playing. When pressure comes on they seem a biy unsure of what to do, as shown by what happend when reds run them down in their games.