• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Un-Australian Activities 2018

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Chiefs did well to adapt but were very lucky to win that one. Should have been yellow carded multiple times and that was never an obstruction. Ref balls up the red card too... piss poor performance.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes i thought that the ref was very lenient on the Chiefs. But i backed them to win so i cant complain. Could have done without the extra try however.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Letter of the Law-wise it was obstruction, I think that's BS but it's the Law. I'm more concerned by McDermott talking the ref down from Red to Yellow, I thought it was pretty clearly both high & late therefore it doesn't really matter if DMac is slipping, sliding or doing the hokey pokey. High, swinging arm, contact to head, Red Card. Simples.

Agree Chiefs should've seen Yellow after about the sixth or seventh penalty.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
This is a good lesson for kids. Just keep breaking the laws for ever and don't worry about yellow cards.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Where the hell was he suppose to go to not be an obstruction. Bullshit call

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This is a good lesson for kids. Just keep breaking the laws for ever and don't worry about yellow cards.

Well, yeah. You've only broken the law if you get caught ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

If the ref had shown someone a card after say the seventh penalty then clearly the Chiefs would've stopped doing what they were doing, but in the absence of a card of course they're going to keep doing it: It's called "playing to the whistle" & if it's not the first thing a coach teaches his players he's not doing his job properly.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well, we can focus on the referee's reluctance to card the Chiefs for repeated infringements, his strange backdown from red card to yellow for the blatant headhigh on McKenzie and the obstruction call but ultimately it was a match that I really enjoyed. I admit to be surprised by the all out attack with ball in hand approach from the Bulls but gee didn't they show a lot of skill and enterprise. Two teams willing to chance their hands. More of it please. Those things I mentioned will be forgotten before we forget some of the tries scored last night. (Well, maybe not the red card to yellow card "exercise". That was inexplicable.)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So do you think only NZ teams try and slow the ball at a ruck dru? Really? Why do you think opposition players arrive at a ruck and try and move bodies around? Generally to stop other team getting quick clean ball, all teams do it. The general rule for any player should be, if you can't win the ball in a lineout, maul , ruck etc is to slow the opposition's ball down, it is not in anyway negative. I agree that it shouldn't be done illegally , but to say noone should do it is crazy to say the least . And to be fair dru ,I only one kiwi fan that is saying it, but I do know generally my Aussie mates who follow the game think you should be in contesting all the time so that the ball is just not left there on a platter.
least
Thought I'd revisit this given the current talk.

1. No Dan, I dont think Only NZ teams do this. I said if you'd look at it before the red mist starts, that generally Kiwi teams are more positive than this. Which is why I was interested in a Kiwi perspective. If anything I'd think the least positive conference has possibly been SA, but that will start screams too.

2. I'm interested because I think Thorn is taking the Reds with a target not unlike the Chiefs. I bounce between being happy that their is some toughness to wishing for more.

3. I only saw 30 mins of the game from the pub last night but felt that the Chiefs were frustrating the opposition, but on the hole were playing on the right side of the line.

From what we are seeing here, comment is not likely to stop soon.

BTW Mitchell seems to be settling down.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I did tend to think the ref was out of his depth a touch, I personally was calling for a yellow to Chiefs in 1st 40, and particularly the loosehead prop, mind you he seemed very reluctant to penalise either team for coming in side of maul, and both teams were guilty numerous times. Actually thought it was right call for obstruction as the Bulls player actually spread his arms, was not needed as Retallick was probably never going to get to player anyway. Was interested to see when TMO talked ref out of Red card which I thought it was. Also maybe an elbow to face may of been looked at, and player that accidently kneed ALB in head probably has to be a little careful, I like everyone could see it accidental but some refs may look at it as dangerous. All in all Chiefs were probably lucky, and they certainly relying on a few players at moment to do a lot, I thought D Mac, Sam Cane, Retallick were huge in the game.
I will also add with all the penalties in first half , is probably one of the fist times I have watched a game and thought if you don't improve your discipline in 2nd half Chiefs, I will cheer for a non NZ team.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Nosferatu on the move.

https://streamable.com/lu7by

Choo choo, bitches.

Iron horse, iron will.

As soon as I saw it I knew which part I'd make a GIF of

brodiegif_zpsrjzjviem.gif

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Every time i see Mackenzie play i hold my breath expecting a career ending injury. Bloke is so small.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
38 minutes - try of the year to to the Cru. Disallowed as knock on. Pity for everyone's rugby highlights right there.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Were some unreal skills but two knock ons in the one sequence of play. Fair decision.

Some of the more Canterbury affiliated comms were aghast that the try was disallowed. I'm not sure who they were but I reckon Dismal could help out. :D
And if there is a player who spends more time on the wrong side of a breakdown holding defenders out of play than Wyatt Crockett, I cannot name them. And I'm not talking about cleaning out people contesting the ball.