• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Un-Australian Activities 2018

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Who the hell decided that the Blues shouldn't wear their away strip? Showing signs of a team badly managed as well as being somehow capable of at time pitiful playing, that fist half was rubbish, not sure how the Blues could of looked anymore disinterested!
There is no excuse for jersey clashes like that in professional sports, poor call on the blues part (or maybe the stormers, given the tradition in rugby is that the home side wears their clash strip) but it's something that should be sanzaar managed. Cannot understand why the jersey requirements for each team and match aren't set with the schedule at the start of the season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Three weeks for the Bulls prop seems pretty harsh for what was apparently only a Yellow card offence...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ops-threeweek-suspension-for-dangerous-tackle
It was bad and by today's standards should have been red but, I'd rather the yellow and a suspension than jist the red. At least for accidental contact which I'm not sure this incident was.

What I'm trying to say is I'd rather less reds and more yellows with suspensions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Angus Gardner also resisted giving cards in the Poms v Irish game.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
If Tana's not gonna play Josh Goodhue then might as well send him to the Tron (as a loan) to play a few games.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^^^^^^^^ I was being sarcastic, as you'll see if you go back a coupla pages: Red Card. All. Day. Long I think I said at the time.

By the way WOB, I see the write up on Waiopehu on NZ stuff, didn't know where to put link so everyone could see what you Old Boy of!!!!:cool:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ getting on for 40 years ago now (1977-81). Saw the article & for some reason it got me thinking about Nopera Stewart who we all thought had a huge future as well but IIRC chose to go off & do missionary-type work up in the Islands. Also the youngest of the Workman brothers, David, who was an incredible gifted footballer but preferred softball. All in all I think the piece (& the series it's part of) is way too simplistic & just cherry-picks the stories that fit the narrative.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Great win by the Stormers and a big performance from Damian Willemse and his broer Samuels. Damian is a special SA talent. Been watching him since u14 at Paul Roos. He even make Ellende look good outside him.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^^^^^ getting on for 40 years ago now (1977-81). Saw the article & for some reason it got me thinking about Nopera Stewart who we all thought had a huge future as well but IIRC chose to go off & do missionary-type work up in the Islands. Also the youngest of the Workman brothers, David, who was an incredible gifted footballer but preferred softball. All in all I think the piece (& the series it's part of) is way too simplistic & just cherry-picks the stories that fit the narrative.

Nopera played professionally in France WOB, he here in Brissy now, I actually played a game of golden oldies with him about 5 years back, he still bloody quick! Got a hell of a surprise when he approached me at club and wondered if I remembered him. It was a good article in the fact that even little old Waiopehu college could have such an incredible amount of really good players in those days. Waiopehu also won the NZ softball title at that time didn't they?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ I get that today the likes of Carlos & Nopera would be offered scholarships to "better" schools but I don't think it automatically follows that they'd all accept them, or necessarily succeed if they did. But, yes, good to remember the good old days when a decile 3 school as I think we were at the time could compete with Gisborne Boys, Rotorua Boys, etc. I think you're right about the softball, too, I seem to recall Chub Tangaroa being pretty much unhitable & his brother Mac pretty handy as well. Steve Workman could sure hit a ball & pretty good fielder & David W could do just about anything.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
UAA5 is up:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/un-australian-activities-round-5-2018/#disqus_thread

UAA6 (times are AEDT):

Crusaders v Bulls, 17:35 Friday

Sunwolves v Chiefs, 15:15 Saturday

Hurricanes v Highlanders, 17:35 Saturday

Jaguares v Lions, 8:40 Sunday

MOTR has to be 'canes v Clan, if Clan go 4/4 having beaten both the 'canes & CruSadists that puts them in a very handy position re: the NZ Conference & puts the 'canes in a bit of a hole. Conversely a 'canes win obviously pulls the Clan back into the pack points-wise which also helps the Tribe & my lot, both of whom you'd expect to win this week.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez might have to record the Canes game as Club rugby starts this saturday, and I still believe I have to be on sidelines to watch local club play.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Whitelock & Crotty are back:

Crusaders (15-1): David Havili, Manasa Mataele, Jack Goodhue, Ryan Crotty, George Bridge, Mitchell Hunt, Mitchell Drummond, Jordan Taufua, Billy Harmon, Heiden Bedwell-Curtis, Sam Whitelock (captain), Scott Barrett, Michael Ala'alatoa, Codie Taylor, Tim Perry. Reserves (16-23): Ben Funnell, Wyatt Crockett, Oli Jager, Quinten Strange, Tom Sanders, Bryn Hall, Brett Cameron, Braydon Ennor

In not such good news KRead won't be back any time soon:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...ng-game-as-no-8-kieran-reads-comeback-delayed

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bulls: 15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Travis Ismaiel, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Burger Odendaal (captain), 11 Divan Rossouw, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Embrose Papier, 8 Tim Agaba, 7 Hanro Liebenberg, 6 Roelof Smit, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Jason Jenkins, 3 Trevor Nyakane, 2 Jaco Visagie, 1 Pierre Schoeman. Substitutes: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Lizo Gqoboka, 18 Frans van Wyk, 19 Hendre Stassen, 20 Marco van Staden, 21 Ivan van Zyl, 22 Manie Libbok, 23 Johnny Kotze

50th appearance for Kriel.

https://m.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super...-bulls-name-side-for-crusaders-clash-20180321

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just one change for the Clan, EDixon for Squire (broken thumb, expected to be out for 4 - 6 weeks):

Highlanders (15-1): Ben Smith (co-captain), Waisake Naholo, Rob Thompson, Tei Walden, Tevita Li, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith, Luke Whitelock, Dillon Hunt, Elliot Dixon, Tom Franklin, Jackson Hemopo, Tyrel Lomax, Liam Coltman, Daniel Lienert-Brown. Reserves (16-23): Ash Dixon (co-captain), Aki Seiuli, Siate Tokolahi, Shannon Frizell, Marino Mikaele Tu'u, Kayne Hammington, Josh Ioane, Matt Faddes.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...njured-flanker-liam-squire-against-hurricanes