• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

USA and Canadian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeahmate

Peter Burge (5)
Rugby Law, company behind National Rugby Football League in the US has organised a 2 day trial event for current players and NFL dropouts. Reps from Saracens, Munster, Ulster, Ospreys, La Rochelle, Grenoble, Bayonne and Beziers will be there. Its headed by former Irish coach Eddie O'Sullivan.

Interestingly "By 2023 we'll have 30 American players in the European Premier Leagues. And if we're successful, and Americans love elite rugby enough to make it the smallest major league, USA will win the 2023 World Cup." - Mac Robertson of Rugby Law

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think USA being in between the Pacific Rugby movement & the Northern Hemisphere Heineken Cup tournament is good for the development of the game.

There's geographic tug of war going on where they'll never truly grow the game until they put their eggs in one basket and focus on either Pacific Coast or the Atlantic.

yeahmate

Peter Burge (5)
hey workingclassrugger looks like both those competitions are pretty developed

the APRC is looking to start in March 2016 with teams finalised October this year - http://www.americanprorugby.com/

the NRFL is looking at starting Spring 2015, from what I could make out they're also keen on having a match "the Independence Cup" of an "Made in America XV" made of players from those trials in the post above against what must be n English club side. - http://nationalrugbyfootballleague.com/

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
hey workingclassrugger looks like both those competitions are pretty developed

the APRC is looking to start in March 2016 with teams finalised October this year - http://www.americanprorugby.com/

the NRFL is looking at starting Spring 2015, from what I could make out they're also keen on having a match "the Independence Cup" of an "Made in America XV" made of players from those trials in the post above against what must be n English club side. - http://nationalrugbyfootballleague.com/

The APRC was trying to get up by 2015 with the teams to be selected last October but moved everything back a year to put more work into the project. It's being driven by the same group that brought the MLS to Sydney a fortnight ago. I think there timeline is more realistic.

AS for the NRFL, well it's hard to make them out to be honest. Very erratic at times. If they are able to deliver then wonderful. It may need a level of brashness to get it off the ground. No one really know's too much about either group.

Denver Coach

Frank Row (1)
Looks like some good athletes showed up for the combine, will be interesting to see how this progress. http://rugbyamerica.net/?p=3823

Gotta say I'm thoroughly unimpressed by the NRFL stuff. We don't need those types of guys in the game.

Can anyone here say much about Ben Tarr? Looks like he was recently a QLD U20 rep who was called in as injury cover to the USA JWRT squad. Reportedly did very well in the scrum in the 13-12 win over Georgia U20.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
or how about how good canada is becoming at 7s and how excited i am to see moonlight play 7 for our XV team alongside the likes of taylor paris, hirayama and connor trainor in the backline. as well as mack getting a go behind our pack.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It will be very interesting to see how both Canada and the US go against Scotland in June.

Would be great for world rugby if either team could pull off the upset. It's not beyond the realms of possibility.

The question is, how strong will the US and Canada have to be to be invited into the rugby championship? I think they (along with Japan) will be included at some point.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Entirely a possibility. The rumours coming out of Murrayfield at the moment is that the June squad is split into 3, one to do the US/Canada tour, one to do the Pumas & Saffas, and one to do both.

North America only squad will have the youngsters like Jonny Gray, Mark Bennett, Finn Russell and the like getting caps. Along with... Grayson Hart... :(

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
North America only squad will have the youngsters like Jonny Gray, Mark Bennett, Finn Russell and the like getting caps. Along with. Grayson Hart. :(

WTF? Last I heard Hart was gonna be an Aussie in time for RWC 2015 if required, now you're telling me he's got Scots grandparents?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
WTF? Last I heard Hart was gonna be an Aussie in time for RWC 2015 if required, now you're telling me he's got Scots grandparents?

Yep, with Laidlaw on the move he's also Edinburghs no. 1 scrummie as of next year.

Played a Scotland A game back in Feb.

Fairly, he's been playing really good rugby in a really shit side. Just slightly annoying.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep, with Laidlaw on the move he's also Edinburghs no. 1 scrummie as of next year.

Played a Scotland A game back in Feb.

Fairly, he's been playing really good rugby in a really shit side. Just slightly annoying.

Wow, totally missed that, thought he was still in Oz but in someone's WTS. I can understand him saying screw NZ & moving to Oz but to then go with Scotland so soon has mercenary written all over it. Good luck to the kid, hope he has a good career & all that but geez where & when is this kinda country-jumping gonna end? Genuine migrants no problem but this is ridiculous.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Why didn't he move to Scotland to begin with? Seriously, it's a great opportunity for him to play international rugby and play in the top 14 (once he's earned his spot first).

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
canada will beat scotland in front of 20,000+
heard it here first (or maybe second).

I think USA will be a good chance as well. from memory the game in the USA is somewhere new.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
stuff.co.nz says that an AB v USA Test on 2 November in Chicago will be officially announced on Tuesday. Venue is Chicago Bears NFL home ground. Anyone know if it's likely to draw a good crowd? Or get TV exposure?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Soldier field is an incredible stadium. I believe in the 55-65k range and it will sell out. Easy flight from Toronto and New York and Denver plus Chicago has a population of 10 million and the all blacks brand is well known.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Soldier field is an incredible stadium. I believe in the 55-65k range and it will sell out. Easy flight from Toronto and New York and Denver plus Chicago has a population of 10 million and the all blacks brand is well known.

Good to know. Nothing worse than tuning into something being played in a near-empty stadium. Doubt the AB will field a full-strength side but I'm sure US Rugby won't mind. Was their deal with Fox USA ongoing or just for the NZ Maori game?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Google it. It's a beautiful stadium on the waterfront.
Chicago is a good hub city. Big local pop with a lot of Irish heritage and as I said. Easy flight from Midwest and East coast

Status
Not open for further replies.