• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales tour of New Zealand 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wales win 3-0!!!! first competition since 1958! Stars are aligning for next weekend

Has the optimism gnome turned up on your doorstep yet?

Was hoping to grab a still from "that" lineout showing Oliver exiting the line with assistance from Wheel but I don't seem to be able to. Note Quittenton's signal, we used to call it "jumping off the shoulder" but I think strictly speaking it was more like "holding down" & it got so prevalent they brought in the two-handed take or inside arm only rule.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Are you monitoring the U20 RWC in Manchester @CardiffBlue?

Wales U20 won the 6N under 20 championship, and have been performing well in pool play, losing very closely to NZL and IRE (1 point loss) and thrashing Georgia 10-9.

The Optimism Gnome will be a fairly busy little bugger having to simultaneously deal with Euro 16, NZL tour and the U20s in Manchester.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Are you monitoring the U20 RWC in Manchester @CardiffBlue?

Wales U20 won the 6N under 20 championship, and have been performing well in pool play, losing very closely to NZL and IRE (1 point loss) and thrashing Georgia 10-9.

The Optimism Gnome will be a fairly busy little bugger having to simultaneously deal with Euro 16, NZL tour and the U20s in Manchester.

Thanks Huw,
I've only just recovered from the last trip to Star City two weeks ago. Looks like me and the gnome are going to be there again til 3am this Saturday again.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Twas a different game in those days, wasn't it.

I watched the 78 highlights again for the 50 billionth time. (Partly in hope that my dream version comes true. ie Quittenton calls the lineout and then gets handed a pair of specs!). Found myself yelling penalty Wales when NZ wheeled the scrum. Then realised it was legal back then

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I watched the 78 highlights again for the 50 billionth time. (Partly in hope that my dream version comes true. ie Quittenton calls the lineout and then gets handed a pair of specs!). Found myself yelling penalty Wales when NZ wheeled the scrum. Then realised it was legal back then

I remember our forwards used to practice the defensive wheel.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
But back then the Pot Plants were only 95-100 kegs, the giraffes were 6'3 - 6'4" weighing in at around 15 stones. Loose forwards were around 80 kgs. The only weightlifting the piggies did involved slabs of beer, or from manual Labour at work or home.

The Scrums were significantly depowered compared to today's efforts.

Oh back then Men were Men and ... ... ... and all that sort of old timers rubbish :)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Three! Didn't realise we'd won in the thirties.

Love your reading of the 78 infamy. From where I was standing in the South Enclosure it looked like Haden and Oliver both threw themselves sideways and Quittenton was hoodwinked. McKechnie duly slotted the win.

We could legitimately claim the lions wins in 71 I think. And now you've brought back distant memories of 72. Took years of therapy to overcome the Murdoch test. 19-16 with Benny missing a final penalty for the draw

Stu Wilson try is worth rewatching a few million times

Agree. And the goal was kicked by Brian McKechnie, who as a NZ cricketer faced the infamous underarm delivery. Irony?;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Only if you believe Wales to have been robbed. Once you accept that they weren't, it becomes merely an extraordinary coincidence.

Well, I think that Rudolph Nureyev would have been proud of that leap out of the lineout by Haden and Quinn. Haden himself seems to acknowledge what he/they were up to.

All Black legend Andy Haden says he has no regrets over his infamous "dive" from a line-out against Wales in 1978.
The incident resulted in a penalty which Brian McKechnie kicked to give New Zealand a 13-12 win in Cardiff.
"It was the only way to be able to conjure up a victory," Haden told BBC Radio Wales' Back Page programme.
"And I've lived with it and I don't regret it because that's what you do for your team - you do whatever comes into your mind at the time."
"We talked about that before the match that something like this might be necessary," he said.
"And you don't talk about it, and rehearse it, think about it in your mind and not do it.
"If you've planned to do it you do it, and you don't whinge about it later on and you don't wimp out at the time if that's what's necessary.
"It was necessary. It was 10-12, time up on the clock, so it was time to get on and do the job."
http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/20463813

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
One other throwback to another era I noticed last night. The Welsh singing at the football was better than it has been at the rugby since the National stadium became the millenium. Can't fault the rugby crowds for noise but with no piped music every break it's heaps better. First time I've heard Calon Lan or Men of Harlech along with the old favourites like hymns and arias and the new one dont take me home - . Maybe the rugby crowds could relearn from the Football.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ and then some. I'll take the video evidence & Quittenton's account of what happened over Haden's self-promotion re-writing of history any day. I mean, seriously, how can anyone with even a passing knowledge of the Laws circa 1978 watch that video & not see what Quittenton saw & penalised?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The video evidence shows Haden leaping out of the lineout without a hand being laid on him and quite performing a similar, alhough slightly less dramatic manoeuvre. At least Quinn seems to have bee brushed by a Welsh hand. As to what Quittenton "saw"; he may well have thought he saw something. He wouldn't be the first referee to make a mistake. None of which excuses what appears to be soccer like dives for the purpose of obtaining a penalty.

Unfortunately I am old enough to have a passing knowledge of 1978 laws and even playing under them.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So you'd be aware that you couldn't put your hand on the shoulder of a lineout jumper to prevent him jumping and/ or assist your own jump. Wheel clearly does it, Quiitenton sees it & penalises it accordingly. Anything else going on is irrelevant law book-wise, and anything Haden says or said on the subject needs to be taken with an unhealthy dose of salt, it being his meal ticket & all.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
As an old ref you're quite right, wob, but wouldn't you like to see refs ping such blatant stupidity in search of penalties as Haden did? Sorta thing we despise about soccer.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I always like to imagine that there's some kind of three-tiered generational ranking system among Welsh supporters.

First of all you have the modern supporters. Put off by the horrors of the 90's, they jumped back on the bandwagon in 2005. Resplendent with sparkly cowboy hats and all. Win or lose they drunkenly abuse the nearest Englishman, then go out for a midnight kebab in Cardiff.

Next up you have the older middle aged supporters who were having a good time during the 70's. They troll the modern supporters about how they have never seen Wales defeat the AB's. When it is pointed out that JPR et al. also failed to defeat the AB's in Welsh colours, they get highly defensive and belligerently argue that the 70's team was by far the best that Wales has ever produced, and that they were robbed by refereeing incompetence/bentness. If things get really testy, they claim that, whilst having no memory of the event, they were actually a toddler in 1953. Thus giving them a degree of moral superiority over those who weren't even alive at the time. May occasionally also site the 1971 Lions victory as basically being a Welsh victory, even though they had a helping hand from the neighbours.

Meanwhile in the back corner you have the one grumbling old guy in the valley who can actually recall the 1953 win. That, and the Blitz. He sits there quietly, and only really pipes up to shoot down the 70's mob about how they couldn't defeat the AB's, whenever they start getting nostalgic. He is disgusted by the modern fans who think that getting within half-a-score and twain points of the AB's equals a decent effort. Despite this, he pities all the young'uns, having accepted that Wales will never defeat the AB's again. At least not in his lifetime. Still stands, salutes and belts out God Save the Queen when playing England.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So you'd be aware that you couldn't put your hand on the shoulder of a lineout jumper to prevent him jumping and/ or assist your own jump. Wheel clearly does it, Quiitenton sees it & penalises it accordingly. Anything else going on is irrelevant law book-wise, and anything Haden says or said on the subject needs to be taken with an unhealthy dose of salt, it being his meal ticket & all.

Not really. It's always been contrary to law to commit acts contrary to good sportsmanship. Was and is still in the law and was committed by the AB players who threw themselves out of the lineout - without question.

Currently covered by Law 10.4 (m) - would have been numbered differently in 1978. I first got my referees badge in 1978 and still have a copy of the law book somewhere.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yes but jumping off shoulder was first offence, so unless a case of fowl play refer to WOBs post

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.