• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales v Wallabies, Cardiff, Nov 30 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
I'd add they need a 9 and another ball carrier in there back row also. Lydiate's lack of being able to do anything but tackle really weakens them IMO.

To paraphrase Shane Warne they haven't 30 odd test matches against the big 3 under Gatland, they've played the same game 30 times. Different game, same tactical and skill weaknesses.

Gatland's inability to change tactically or personal wise is his biggest flaw. There are some players who are virtually un-droppable - he loves Phillips, Lydiate & Warburton to name 3.
Lydiate is a prime example of why moving to France isn't always a good idea - big money but get flogged to death. Hardly any time off after the Lions tour & straight into action in August. Hopelessly out of form but Gatland still picks him.
The little break & offload Tipuric made (when Cooper was unfortunately yellowed ) was more positive than any of the Welsh centres or backrow had been for 70minutes.
But Tipuric isn't someone who fits into Warren's prototype of rugby players.
Too much emphasis on gym work, as Martin Williams said we'd probably beat the All Blacks in gym tests but rugby matches are won on the field not in the gym.
Gatland's emphasis on this has improved the Welsh team immeasurably but I don't think it can take them any further.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Good comments Sir Arthur.

Would love to see both Scott Sio (to back Slipper and Robbo at LHP) and dan Palmer + Paddy Ryan at THP (to back up Keps, + Alexander) to really step up.
We need more than what we've got ATM

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think the EOYT cemented some starting spots moving forward
Slipper - overtaken Robbo
Moore - has overtaken TPN by far
Kepu - overtaken Alexander
Simmons
Horwill
Fardy
Hooper - over Pocock ATM
Genia
Cooper - To'omua good but QC (Quade Cooper) better
The Badger - great runner - bloody fearless - fabulous tour except for the drink
Izzy - much better than a Beale, even in form - last few games have just shown a huge improvement - safe under high ball, involves himself and runs hard and pretty straight - still a shithouse kicker but maybe that'll improve.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
The impression I get is that the team has got some real spirit. Link seems to be able to communicate exceptionally well with the players. The use of the subs had me worried in this game. Wales were on a roll after North scored his try. The outcome was that the subs were able to rise to the occasion and keep the standards of the team up. E.G. Douglas and Harris have had virtually no minutes all season under Mackenzie yet they both performed their roles to a test match standard when they were put into the game.
None of the bench had a particularly game changing moment, but given the amount of time that some of them have played, they could easily have been overwhelmed. For this I give credit to the coaching and the systems in place.
A further example would be the scrum. The technique used to pack has changed from when we started the tri nations. Good pragmatic coaching.
Overall I am very positive about the new coach and his systems. It will be interesting to see next year what influence he has over S15 positional selections at each province

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
It would appear that QC (Quade Cooper) bit (or attempted to bite) Spikey Mikey's leg.:-

_71463015_mike_phillips_cooper_bbc.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25178285

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I reckon Fardy is getting close to 1st picked.
Palu hasnt played a full season for about 3 years.
I think Higgers is the eventual long term #8 but he's got to beat Mowen to it. They're quite different players and there could be a horses for courses argument - but that only underlines the fragility of Mowen's hold on the captaincy.
It was good to see that we got under the welsh skin enough for a few handbags to be swung, and some pushes and shoves: that's a good sign for some emerging mongrel and one we haven't seen for a while.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Keep hearing dismissal comments about Palu due to his injury status/history. He's played more Test rugby for the Wallabies in the last 2 years than Pocock and Higginbotham.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
funny how the UK journo focuses on Cooper as though he's the one that was out of line, not Phillips.

If Cooper did bite Phillips, it was in self defence and warranted. After all self defence is a complete defence to assault.

Exactly. It's like saying claiming Richie was in the wrong when he retaliated after Quade kneed him and pushed him! haha. Oh how the tables have turned.

But seriously, if someone stood on my hand in that position, the only thing I would (could) do is bite them to get them off.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Exactly. It's like saying claiming Richie was in the wrong when he retaliated after Quade kneed him and pushed him! haha. Oh how the tables have turned.

But seriously, if someone stood on my hand in that position, the only thing I would (could) do is bite them to get them off.

The more mischievous would have probably given Phillips an uppercut to his nuts, but probably would have missed everything. Are they going to cite Phillips for that crap, or are they just gonna let that slide?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
shaping up very nicely. just a few areas that need a bit of work.
props, second row, centres.

bubbling in the background and keeping the depth strong we have
Kimlin (when he's back) Neville, Douglas, Dennis, Mcalmen, Schatz, Palu for the back and second row
Alexander, Mafu, Faainga for the front row.
Phipps, Burgess, Strzacker for 9
To'omua, Lilo, Godwin, Beale? at 10.
Lilo, Godwin, Inman, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tapuai and harris in the centres
Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mogg, at fullback.

good depth building in my opinion, just need more front row stocks.

Ma'afu has gone overseas and won't be back for a while. Maybe you meant Manu, the young prop at the Force. He shows a lot of promise.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The more mischievous would have probably given Phillips an uppercut to his nuts, but probably would have missed everything. Are they going to cite Phillips for that crap, or are they just gonna let that slide?

that article suggests the time for citing has been and gone

Round 15

Bob McCowan (2)
With young kids, did not get up for the match. Then had a family day on. Made it to my couch to wath the replay at 8.30pm. Then I get some message about some golf show. As a result, I have not seen the test. Does not seem any replay will be coming on from now on.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That was one of the many highlights for me....

The Welsh were attacking on our 5m line and Fardy puts in a massive cleanout at the ruck that leads to a turnover and penalty, followed by a pretty good clearance from Quade...

It was definitely the best team performance for a long time.... can't say that anyone played badly....

The most clinical cleanout I've seen in a very long time. And Mowen actually shared in it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Cooper did bite Phillips, it was in self defence and warranted. After all self defence is a complete defence to assault.

Oh come on. Biting in self defence? Seriously?

He's not a wild animal fearing for its life.

I'm not for a second excusing Phillips behaviour, but biting someone in retaliation is never appropriate.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Good comments Sir Arthur.

Would love to see both Scott Sio (to back Slipper and Robbo at LHP) and dan Palmer + Paddy Ryan at THP (to back up Keps, + Alexander) to really step up.
We need more than what we've got ATM

Both Sio and Palmer should be in the mix if fit. Another would be Toby Smith now at the Rebels having come across the ditch with plenty of Super experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.