• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales v Wallabies, Cardiff, Nov 30 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Slipper has probably re-defined the way a lot of coaches are going to look at LHP in the future. He seems to regularly be at the top or near the top in tackles and mobility in each game. What other prop can do that - none come to mind. Seems odd to me that he plays THP at the Reds.

The new scrum laws will suit this sort of bloke and make the old style bookend boof a thing of the past - It just seems the way of the future,
particularly in SH running rugby teams.

To me Stephen Moore is another whose athleticism defines that running rugby ability, with a huge workload across the park - IMO he has also altered the way coaches want from their No.2 - also has a huge motor. When compared to TPN who can be devastating, Moore is an 60-80 minute top performer whereas TPN is not. TPN to me is the perfect attack and defence weapon to come on with 10-20 to go. His contribution at that time can turn a match

P

Paradox

Slipper has probably re-defined the way a lot of coaches are going to look at LHP in the future. He seems to regularly be at the top or near the top in tackles and mobility in each game.

I think his ball carrying is pretty ordinary. He gets driven back regularly by smaller blokes or held up and he doesn't clean out very effectively. I suspect the Oz LHP will be hotly contested by a few blokes next year but that Sio will push Slipper out in 2015. Sio was only 21 this year when playing and was outstanding in Super rugby . Link didn't give him much of a go and probably felt he was a bit too green.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
This isn't a common law situation on the street. If one person punches you and you punch them back you don't get a free pass because you were defending yourself.

Ummmmm..... You are clearly not a lawyer. That is virtually the definition of the the self defence law in Australia.

Admittedly, there is an exception clause for 'excessive force' in defence. The High Court further clarified in 1961 that if the jury were in any doubt as to whether the retaliation was appropriate or excessive, then the accused is entitled to acquital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-defence_(Australia)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Good point there isn't much of a long list of young LH props that are really promising.

Steven Kistshoff from the Stormers is a good bet I would say.

I don't think Coenie will play much LH again. Not after hos showing at TH prop, which is what he is being groomed for.

Slipper comes up against a really strong TH and falls to pieces.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ummmmm... You are clearly not a lawyer. That is virtually the definition of the the self defence law in Australia.

Admittedly, there is an exception clause for 'excessive force' in defence. The High Court further clarified in 1961 that if the jury were in any doubt as to whether the retaliation was appropriate or excessive, then the accused is entitled to acquital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-defence_(Australia)

You misread my post. I was saying that the common law situation that does apply in everyday life does not apply on a rugby field. Both players are generally dealt with based on their actions. Punching someone back will still get you 10 minutes in the bin even though you might have been defending yourself.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Kepu plays like an 8 outside the scrum as well.

Kepu worries me. He had a good game verse Wales, but I noticed at times he just looks lost and indecisive . I saw him more then once around a ruck hesitating - you tell he was thinking "should i go in, should I join the line, what should i do?"

When he makes a decision he usually executes it well - takes his time to make it though.

Compare this with Fardy - who is simply working working working - always doing something and never hesitating.

Still anything is better then Alexander.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
You misread my post. I was saying that the common law situation that does apply in everyday life does not apply on a rugby field. Both players are generally dealt with based on their actions. Punching someone back will still get you 10 minutes in the bin even though you might have been defending yourself.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Ah. Well, in that case. Carry on. :p

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Straying a bit now from the match thread but looking ahead to 2014 i dont want to see us play Wales again before the world cup. i think we're much better off going into the 2015 with our winning streak intact. I'd like to see us play England and Ireland again next, and maybe even a return match against France in Paris.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Kepu worries me. He had a good game verse Wales, but I noticed at times he just looks lost and indecisive . I saw him more then once around a ruck hesitating - you tell he was thinking "should i go in, should I join the line, what should i do?"

When he makes a decision he usually executes it well - takes his time to make it though.

Compare this with Fardy - who is simply working working working - always doing something and never hesitating.

This is a very good point Seb V and I have mentioned it a few times about players in the past, including Kepu. David Lyons was another one, and there's a bit of it in Kane Douglas too.

We tag these guys as being lazy and yet it is more slow thinking and response that is the problem.

Players should be judged on all the all attributes of rugby and not just the technical or skills-based ones. Players who are slow in recognising participation opportunities and/or in responding to them should be marked down; and vice versa for the opposite case, as you indicate when discussing Fardy.

But there is a fine line sometimes between useful work and busy work (to look busy)—and also between saving your strength for significant moments, and being involved too much when you can't make a difference and tiring yourself without need.

The great George Smith had command of the above matters and currently Stephen Moore has too, as does the impressive youngster, Michael Hooper.

Intangible skills are difficult to coach: some of them can be acquired, but most are intuitive.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'd have thought it was mostly experience related. David Pocock used to say that it took him a while to work out which breakdowns to attack and which to leave. He said at first he was like a terrier trying to get into all of them until he worked out that this wasn't the best way.

I imagine those kinds of experience related decisions change a lot depending on the setting (e.g. Super Rugby vs Test Rugby or Northern Hemisphere Team vs ABs or Boks).

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9057240,00.html

If you ask me it seems kind of dumb that the ARU has agreed with Wales to play game next year. A loss to Wales 6 months out from the world cup will hurt us. Not saying we'll lose but why give them another shot. I would have preferred games against those teams we wont be playing in the RWC.

It's outside the IRB window again so the ARU are getting paid handsomely for the Test. Blame them for being so poor.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)

If you ask me it seems kind of dumb that the ARU has agreed with Wales to play game next year. A loss to Wales 6 months out from the world cup will hurt us. Not saying we'll lose but why give them another shot. I would have preferred games against those teams we wont be playing in the RWC.

I'll admit this thought flashed through my mind as well - but even as it did, I was immediately annoyed at myself for having thought it. It's the kind of attitude that loses world cups. To deserve to win the world cup, you should be the number one team in the world and mentally happy to take on any team, any time, any where. Once the Wallabies (and their supporters) have this mind set, then we will deserve to win the world cup again.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I'll admit this thought flashed through my mind as well - but even as it did, I was immediately annoyed at myself for having thought it. It's the kind of attitude that loses world cups. To deserve to win the world cup, you should be the number one team in the world and mentally happy to take on any team, any time, any where. Once the Wallabies (and their supporters) have this mind set, then we will deserve to win the world cup again.

That means the AB's should have won a lot more World Cups

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)

I doubt if we will beat you 6 months before this WC or any other, Welsh rugby is its own worst enemy, the under20s who were in the final of the WC have yet to play a game in Wales, Sam Davies the Welsh fly half is the only one who has had any game time, 60 min in the robo 12, pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.