• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
#13 The centerpiece of any rugby team's backline.
Some significant stats from australian super rugby franchises , their defensive read and effective execution %.
  1. Curtis Rona @ 81%
  2. Tevita Kurudrani @79% (85&89% last 2 games)
  3. Samu Kerevi @74%
  4. Thomas English @81%
  5. Jordan Petaia @89%
source:https://www.rugbypass.com/super-rugby (not sure how reliable )
*The Australian has an interesting article on the youngster Petaia from T Horan.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Too soon for Petaia but he's a promising one for the future. I'll eat my foot if it isn't Rona. As to whether he survives the first Bledisloe...

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It probably will be Rona. I would like to see Hodge given a run though. You would have to think that 13 is his natural position. He is big and deceptively fast. Most of all he just takes good options as a footballer and has some playmaking skills.
His cannon is the cream on top.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It probably will be Rona. I would like to see Hodge given a run though. You would have to think that 13 is his natural position. He is big and deceptively fast. Most of all he just takes good options as a footballer and has some playmaking skills.
His cannon is the cream on top.
Sounds more useful at 12 to me. Might be a bit boring but i think at test level your best 13 is whoever defends the best. Let the fullback and inside be more creative.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Panda's article in the Telegraph implies that Hodge is the most likely for the first Bledisloe with Rona considered a winger at Wallaby level.

Of course where Rona is considered could change given Kerevi and Kuridrani are both unavailable.

Hopefully Rona finishes the season well to really put pressure on the decision.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sounds more useful at 12 to me. Might be a bit boring but i think at test level your best 13 is whoever defends the best. Let the fullback and inside be more creative.
The play making is a bonus. He really needs to be able to offload and defend well. He already has a knack of beating defenders and has excellent pace. They(the powers that be) should decide on exactly how Hodge fits into the puzzle soon. With To'omua seemingly coming back in to the picture as a 10-12, one would think Hodges futures lies in the outside backs.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
We’re going to need someone to step up and carry strongly in the backline without TK or Kerevi, probably Koroibete will have to do more work in tight. Ryan Crotty is very good at organising the defence but Kurindrani managed to outmuscle him in Bledislode 2 last year and I reckon it’s as good a channel as any to attack against the ABs particularly as the poor bloke seems to be always playing wounded.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The play making is a bonus. He really needs to be able to offload and defend well. He already has a knack of beating defenders and has excellent pace. They(the powers that be) should decide on exactly how Hodge fits into the puzzle soon. With To'omua seemingly coming back in to the picture as a 10-12, one would think Hodges futures lies in the outside backs.
Problem is, he's not good enough to start if everyone is fit.

15. Folau, DHP better options
14. Koroibete, Naivalu
13. TK, Kerevi
12. Beale, To'omua,
11. DHP
10. Foley, To'omua

Fit and in-form, all those players are better than him in their positions.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think he just needs to contracted for 2020 to an Oz Super side. To'omua will be eligible the same way?

To be selected from overseas based on a future contract signing, the signing has to be for 2 years min. So would have to be 2020 and 21

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

No evidence in the last couple of games that Rona is a better defender than Hodge, though.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
I’ve noticed on some of the brumbies social media posts that Enever and Naisarani are both still training with the brumbies wallabies members.

Perhaps cheik is going to name a larger squad for the rugby championship to start exposing some RWC potentials?

Or are the squad getting together next week? (Ie before Waratahs players would be available should they make the finals)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I’ve noticed on some of the brumbies social media posts that Enever and Naisarani are both still training with the brumbies wallabies members.

Perhaps cheik is going to name a larger squad for the rugby championship to start exposing some RWC potentials?

Or are the squad getting together next week? (Ie before Waratahs players would be available should they make the finals)
There will be a bunch of extra players for the first week or so.

Petaia, Stewart and Hockings for the Reds are included.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.