1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by A mutterer, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Bobby Sands Banned

100%

Awful at 6 imo.
  2. Zero_Cool Trevor Allan (34)

The problem for LSL is he's never been picked as an X consistently enough to develop all those physical attributes. Last year he was a lock converting to 6 for the Wallabies, now he's kinda a 6 converting back to lock. Once he's consistently a 4 or 5 or 6 for long enough I suspect those features will develop and follow.

Thankfully he's basically locked in at Lock for the foreseeable future for the Wallabies and the Reds.
  3. Jimmy_Crouch Colin Windon (37)

I've prefered watching LSL at lock but Simon Raiwalui disagrees.
    Bobby Sands likes this.
  4. Derpus David Codey (61)

Has he actually? can you show me the linky link. Id be interested to see what he had to say.
  5. Bobby Sands Banned

Thanks god we pushed him out the door.

Another Cheika crony/ yes man / old ally.

The Wallabies coaching setup is seriously world class now, god that's refreshing.
  6. KOB1987 Steve Williams (59)

I think you are stuck in the pre Covid comp. Waratahs form was pretty good in the second round, they beat everyone except the Brumbies, including a thumping of your lot, who are actually the form team.

Also, all of those players were named in the PONI 'squad', except for Dempsey and it's not a real surprise that he has been added in.
    Rugbynutter39 likes this.
  7. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

It's apparently going to be around 46 players to begin with and given the Waratahs won 4 games, the Rebels 4 games, Reds 5 games and Brumbies 6 games I wouldn't expect a massive disaparity between the teams in terms of selections in a large squad.

If we're talking the last round of matches (so form over the last 5 weeks), the Reds and Waratahs won 3 each and the Brumbies and Rebels 2 each.
    dru likes this.
  8. upthereds#! Bob Davidson (42)

Bell is the super lucky one - but not when you assume his involvement is for the development that being in teh squad brings, rather then actually being considered the no.3 LHP and therefore ready for test matches.
  9. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Wisemantel and the S&C Coach John Pryor are running the camp.

Rennie and Taylor can't join because they're in Queensland and would need to go into quarantine upon returning to Queensland if they came to NSW.

I believe that if the Rebels lose next weekend their Wallabies squad members will join this camp in Sydney but if the Reds lose then the whole thing might move to Queensland.
  10. Rugbynutter39 Paul McLean (56)

I was wondering where they would do for wallaby squad - good to see keeping players of Poni around and in train on squads under Scott in Sydney to keep them conditioned. Congrats to force and nsw players who made initial squad.
  11. Rugbynutter39 Paul McLean (56)

I would also have hunt over Godwin every day.hunt maybe moreso missing out because of age, as doubt either of them would be starting 23 so Godwin for development / future purposes. FLW not had enough games at 6 with lots of competition so agree not this year but hope force keep him at 6 and see where he goes. I also would like to see Ready in the mix as been solid last few games and shown can throw straight!
    dru likes this.
  12. Highlander35 Paul McLean (56)

Godwin is what? 27 now? I like him as a player and think he probably deserves an opportunity at a higher level, but unless something just "clicks" for him I'd imagine there's not a substantial amount of raw development left.
    Rugbynutter39 likes this.
  13. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Yeah, I don't get it. He isn't very elusive with ball in hand and makes poor decisions too often. He tends to get isolated and is forced to give away a penalty for holding on.

His defence is great but that's not enough. Really not excited by the prospect of him joining the Tahs.
    Joe Blow, Rugbynutter39 and Derpus like this.
  14. Derpus David Codey (61)

Much rather keep Hunt or give more game time to Moeroa and Walton. That said, if we sign Godwin and release Foketi that's a net gain.
  15. RebelYell Ron Walden (29)

I think we're pretty quick to write athletes off these days.

Would be disappointed if by age 27 a player can't be significantly improved by good coaching
    Adam84 and Rugbynutter39 like this.
  16. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

I reckon Foketi is better than Godwin.

If it comes down to Hunt not getting another contract I think it is because we already have Moeroa signed and can't afford Hunt. He'd be good to keep but he's only available for about half the games and he's not likely to get less injury prone.
    RugbyReg likes this.
  17. Up the Guts Mark Ella (57)

When the Reds had Rodda and Hockings earlier in the year didn’t Thorn play LSL at 6? They must see something at the professional level we’re not.
  18. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Sure, but you're also then not signing someone else who might be better currently or have a higher ceiling because they are of similar standard now but younger.
  19. fatprop David Wilson (68)

Yeah, not particularly excited by Godwin, he just doesn't have enough good touches per minutes on the field

I like Hunt, but he be old, there are those moments when they have to be moved on
  20. Bobby Sands Banned

I rate Godwin, certainly well head of Joey Walton (who I can't make tops or tails of).